Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A Little Advice

1. -1
    Waterlogged

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Hopkinton, IA
    Thanks / No Thanks

A Little Advice

Hey guys, just had a question for you guys. Right now I'm in the process of considering working for this company during the summer where you sell books. Sounds cheesy right? But it's pretty legit, my friend did it last year.

It's basically where you "run a business" by ordering the books (set of three encyclopedias that have anything from math to geography at grade school levels up to the real tough stuff like trig and calc) then selling them to middle class families in a big East Coast city, probably Philadelphia. Anyways, the pay rate is on commission, but the average student makes about $8,500. I'd be getting a chance to travel and 6 hours of college credit too as well as something to put on my resume (running my own business for 3 months while making revenue). The company is Southwestern and it's been around for years so I know it's not a scam. My buddy made around $8,000 last summer when he did it.

There's a few problems though... You work 6 days a week, not so much the problem... but it's 12 hours a day. That's a total of 72 hours a week. That's a lot of working. I'd be working right around 12-13 weeks, which is about $9.83 - $9.08 an hour if I was average. I mean... that seems like a lot of work for less than 10 bucks an hour. Especially when I could make 8.25 or so at some factory, live off my parents (no rent/food) for the summer, and not have to work my butt off during the summer... plus I wouldn't be away from my buddies and family. And I get to spend more time with YOU GUYS!! (not even kidding. half my day working, but no worries I get Sunday off tsk tsk.) I talked to my RA and he said he wouldn't do it, but it's up to me. The more math I do and logic I try to put into it, the more I'm starting to move to the "No" category. I was all the way on the "Yes" category earlier but now I just don't know... Help.. anyone? Thanks.
    Quote Quote  

2. -2
    Waterlogged

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Kennewick, WA
    Thanks / No Thanks
    This is coming from one of the laziest people in the planet "at least when I don't care about something" so take it with a grain of salt.

But I use the summer to kick back and relax. I usually just work part time. Personally, I would not do that.
    Quote Quote  

3. -3
    Waterlogged

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Hopkinton, IA
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Aqua4Ever04 View Post
    This is coming from one of the laziest people in the planet "at least when I don't care about something" so take it with a grain of salt.

But I use the summer to kick back and relax. I usually just work part time. Personally, I would not do that.
    So do I... It'd be totally different than what I normally do... That's why it's like, why am I doing this? I'll make **** for pay in reality, they just make it look good by saying "8,500 bucks in a summer" but forget to finish by saying "by working 72 hours a week"...

I can work 40 hours a week, have fun with my buddies, and not have to work my *** off... Maybe it's just me being lazy...
    Quote Quote  

4. -4
    Waterlogged

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Kennewick, WA
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by GridIronKing34 View Post
    So do I... It'd be totally different than what I normally do... That's why it's like, why am I doing this? I'll make **** for pay in reality, they just make it look good by saying "8,500 bucks in a summer" but forget to finish by saying "by working 72 hours a week"...

I can work 40 hours a week, have fun with my buddies, and not have to work my *** off... Maybe it's just me being lazy...
    The only job I'd work 72 hours per week for would be the Head Coach of the Miami Dolphins.

It's not worth it IMO, dude.
    Quote Quote  

5. -5
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Memphis
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Like Aqua I'm pretty lazy. So be cautious in using my advice Griddle. But I'd say **** it. Work less and have fun with your friends. You're still really young. Have fun while you can.

Quote Quote  

6. -6
    Sporty Don

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Long Beach, Ca
    Thanks / No Thanks
    The money is good, but when you think about how much you'd have to work it doesnt seem like as much. Also, being a lazy person I'd be worried the people who get $8500 are the ones who care about the job and put a lot into it. It's not guaranteed money, so it'd suck to sign on, work like a doctor and have no luck selling the books and make crap.

However, it'd be cool to spend a summer in another city. Though that too could have serious negatives. It'd be cool at first but then get old experiencing this new city alone perhaps. The college credits is also pretty nice, but getting enough units to graduate isnt really a big problem in my experience so I'm not sure that'd be much of a bonus for me. Maybe the resume thing, but that's a lot of work and time for something that may or may not end up being a small boost to a resume. In short, I wouldnt do it. Enjoy your summer and worry about a resume/money later. Or work on both a little closer to home and something with guaranteed money.

Quote Quote  

7. -7
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    North Bergen, NJ
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by GridIronKing34 View Post
    Hey guys, just had a question for you guys. Right now I'm in the process of considering working for this company during the summer where you sell books. Sounds cheesy right? But it's pretty legit, my friend did it last year.

It's basically where you "run a business" by ordering the books (set of three encyclopedias that have anything from math to geography at grade school levels up to the real tough stuff like trig and calc) then selling them to middle class families in a big East Coast city, probably Philadelphia. Anyways, the pay rate is on commission, but the average student makes about $8,500. I'd be getting a chance to travel and 6 hours of college credit too as well as something to put on my resume (running my own business for 3 months while making revenue). The company is Southwestern and it's been around for years so I know it's not a scam. My buddy made around $8,000 last summer when he did it.

There's a few problems though... You work 6 days a week, not so much the problem... but it's 12 hours a day. That's a total of 72 hours a week. That's a lot of working. I'd be working right around 12-13 weeks, which is about $9.83 - $9.08 an hour if I was average. I mean... that seems like a lot of work for less than 10 bucks an hour. Especially when I could make 8.25 or so at some factory, live off my parents (no rent/food) for the summer, and not have to work my butt off during the summer... plus I wouldn't be away from my buddies and family. And I get to spend more time with YOU GUYS!! (not even kidding. half my day working, but no worries I get Sunday off tsk tsk.) I talked to my RA and he said he wouldn't do it, but it's up to me. The more math I do and logic I try to put into it, the more I'm starting to move to the "No" category. I was all the way on the "Yes" category earlier but now I just don't know... Help.. anyone? Thanks.
    My advise to you is to first " CHECK THE MARKET ", meaning check out the popularity of those kind of books and try to find out if those books have been bought in other places around the country. Look up as much information about the company and the books as possible. Encyclopedia books are not as popular because of the internet nowadays. I hope that helps.
    Quote Quote  

8. -8
    The Id

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Texas
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I wouldn't do it. As everyone here has said, spend the time with friends and family. Once you get out of school you won't have as many opportunities to. (depending on your career choice) I wouldn't worry about padding the resume with this, finding a job right out of college is more often about who you know than what you know, as long as you had decent grades you should be fine. The college credits would be nice if it allowed you to graduate early, but if not that wouldn't really be an incentive for me either.

Quote Quote  

9. -9
    ***** in the House!

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    South Philadelphia
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I wouldn't either. I've put in 72 hr. weeks before..... it's not fun. trust me.
    Quote Quote  

10. -10
    I am Unicron,.Megatron is my slave

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Fort Lauderdale, Fl
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I say do it. Why? I just wanna be the dumb odd ball!

2009 Fanhell.com Fantasy Football Champion
    My Adopt-a-Fin is "Big Hit" Tony Bua
    Quote Quote