Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: US scientists close to creating artificial life: study

1. -1
    Sporty Don

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Long Beach, Ca
    Thanks / No Thanks

US scientists close to creating artificial life: study

WASHINGTON (AFP) - US scientists have taken a major step toward creating the first ever artificial life form by synthetically reproducing the DNA of a bacteria, according to a study published Thursday.

The move, which comes after five years of research, is seen as the penultimate stage in the endeavour to create an artificial life form based entirely on a man-made DNA genome -- something which has tantalised scientists and sci-fi writers for years.
    "Through dedicated teamwork we have shown that building large genomes is now feasible and scalable so that important applications such as biofuels can be developed," said Hamilton Smith, from the J. Craig Venter Institute, in the study published in Science.
    The research has been carried out at the laboratories of the controversial celebrity US scientist Craig Venter, who has hailed artificial life forms as a potential remedy to illness and global warming.
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20080125...h_080125001832

Quote Quote  

2. -2
    Desert Dolphin

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Tucson, Arizona
    Thanks / No Thanks
    It takes our best scientists to make artificial life, yet.........real life happened supposedly by chance randomness. Does anyone see the irony in that?

Players come and go, but I will always be a Miami Dolphins Fan first and foremost.

Quote Quote  

3. -3
    Waterlogged

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    U. Idaho
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolphan7 View Post
    It takes out best scientists to make artificial life, yet.........real life happened supposedly by chance randomness. Does anyone see the irony in that?
    It is amazing accomplishment indeed but as for the likelihood for 'randomness' giving rise to organic synthesis, that possibility was first proven by Miller and Urey in the 1950's my brother. What Miller did in the lab over several months mimicked a very short period of the early earth (3-5 million years). Given the fact that we can prove that life existed ~3.5- 3.8 billion years ago, that gives approximately 200-500 million years from the 'creation' of the earth for life to evolve or for the earth to become a host to extraterrestrial life (on a meteor, for example).

I know we won't agree on this point and I don't wish to change your mind, even if I could. That is not my goal. I just want to offer an alternative viewpoint.
    Quote Quote  

4. -4
    Waterlogged

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    U. Idaho
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Also, just a side note: Venter is not really one of the world's greatest scientists. He is famous for his exploits like the human genome project, but he is not in the top tier of molecular biologists IMO
    Quote Quote  

5. -5
    Desert Dolphin

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Tucson, Arizona
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Celtkin View Post
    It is amazing accomplishment indeed but as for the likelihood for 'randomness' giving rise to organic synthesis, that possibility was first proven by Miller and Urey in the 1950's my brother. What Miller did in the lab over several months mimicked a very short period of the early earth (3-5 million years). Given the fact that we can prove that life existed ~3.5- 3.8 billion years ago, that gives approximately 200-500 million years from the 'creation' of the earth for life to evolve or for the earth to become a host to extraterrestrial life (on a meteor, for example).

I know we won't agree on this point and I don't wish to change your mind, even if I could. That is not my goal. I just want to offer an alternative viewpoint.
    It has always been a "possibilty" within the scientific community. Duplicating this in a lab under the close and controlled supervision of a technician lends more to a creator than an accident.

But thank you for your input it was very interesting.
    Quote Quote  

6. -6
    Waterlogged

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    U. Idaho
    Thanks / No Thanks
    It has always been a "possibilty" within the scientific community. Duplicating this in a lab under the close and controlled supervision of a technician lends more to a creator than an accident.

But thank you for your input it was very interesting.
    Miller and Urey won a Nobel prize and the experiment has been repeated numerous times. I'm not sure who was the creator in this experiment you are referring to or, I could well have completely misunderstood your reply.
    Quote Quote  

7. -7
    Desert Dolphin

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Tucson, Arizona
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Celtkin View Post
    Miller and Urey won a Nobel prize and the experiment has been repeated numerous times. I'm not sure who was the creator in this experiment you are referring to or, I could well have completely misunderstood your reply.
    The experiments look more like duplicating "creation" by God than duplicating an accident in nature. See the irony?
    Quote Quote  

8. -8
    Waterlogged

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    U. Idaho
    Thanks / No Thanks
    The experiments look more like duplicating "creation" by God than duplicating an accident in nature. See the irony?
    Got it now I am a little slow in the evenings sometimes.
    Quote Quote  

9. -9
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Greensboro, NC
    Thanks / No Thanks
    :wink:

One billion AD, outside lab of evolutionary descendants of this Institutes artificial life:

We have created artificial life, thus proving there is no Ventner almighty divine creator.

Two billiond AD, outside lab of...
    Quote Quote  

10. -10
    Desert Dolphin

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Tucson, Arizona
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eshlemon View Post
    :wink:

One billion AD, outside lab of evolutionary descendants of this Institutes artificial life:

We have created artificial life, thus proving there is no Ventner almighty divine creator.

Two billiond AD, outside lab of...

It took me a while, but I finally got it.

Classic!
    Quote Quote