Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What We Could See With Paul P

1. -1
    BIG_FISH_RI

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks

What We Could See With Paul P

I was a little concerned when we hired Paul P because all I know about him is that he was the Head Coach at Syracuse for many years and was then fired when the program started the decline. So I called a high school buddy of mine that went to Syracuse and played for Paul. What he confirmed for me was when he 1st got there the Orangeman ran a 3-4 blitz scheme with plenty of shifts and alignments to confuse and free up blitzing backers. He confirmed that the system was very complex and confusing and took a lot to get adjusted to. The defense would always have 3 down linemen but there was always at least 4 coming. Based on what he was saying is that it is a scheme very similar to Pittsburg. A pressure scheme living and dying by the blitz. In his 4 years there 2 of the 4 years they ran a 3-4 but due to personnel they switched to a 4-3. However, even with the 4-3 alignment there was still a ton of zone blitz packages that they ran.

It sounds to me that our boy Pauly likes a 3-4 zone blitz scheme. I guess it assumed that we will run a similar defense in Miami. While I can not say for sure just take it for what it is worth. Just thought some of you guys like me that is not familiar with the guy would like to know something about our new DC background.
    Quote Quote  

2. -2
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Cincinnati/UD
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Wouldn't be opposed to that at all. Thanks for the insight.

Huge Props to Nublar7 for the awesome sig!

www.twoguystalkingfootball.com/ -for the inside scoop on the NFL, College Bowl Season, and the NFL draft, come check out my blog.
    Quote Quote  

3. -3
    Chest Rockwell is my hero

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Dirty Jersey
    Thanks / No Thanks
    He actually ended up ruining SU football. After Dnabb left it went downhill and fast. he probably will make a good DC, but HC, hells no!
    I believe any man's finest hour - his greatest fulfillment to all he holds dear, is that moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle...Victorious

Quote Quote  

4. -4
    BIG_FISH_RI

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dolpns13 View Post
    He actually ended up ruining SU football. After Dnabb left it went downhill and fast. he probably will make a good DC, but HC, hells no!
    I agree but in his defense I think the down fall has a lot to do with the freeze option attacke that he was trying to run in SU.
    Quote Quote  

5. -5

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Dirty Jersey
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BIG_FISH_RI View Post
    I agree but in his defense I think the down fall has a lot to do with the freeze option attacke that he was trying to run in SU.
    and trust me, troy nunes, and perry paterson were not the answer. Thank god they are gone
    Quote Quote  

6. -6
    Upstate NY's #1 Finfan!

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Saratoga Springs, NY The Home of Bill Parcels
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I think he recruited Kelvin Smith and too bad we didnt still have Morlon Greenwood we could have a little reunion. He knows exaclty what Will Allen can do!
    Quote Quote  

7. -7
    Pay the man!

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Pennyslvania
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dolpns13 View Post
    I believe I saw you put this in another post. I'm just confused as to why we're even talking about him being a HC. He's our DC, from what the original poster said he runs a great scheme and could really help us out here in Miami.

Boy, I hope it's true.
    Quote Quote  

8. -8

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Dirty Jersey
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by biggtyme13 View Post
    I think he recruited Kelvin Smith and too bad we didnt still have Morlon Greenwood we could have a little reunion. He knows exaclty what Will Allen can do!
    Miami LOVED cuse players back in the day.
    Quote Quote  

9. -9
    Alriiigghht miaaammi!!!

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Ft.Lauderdale/Tallahassee
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BIG_FISH_RI View Post
    I was a little concerned when we hired Paul P because all I know about him is that he was the Head Coach at Syracuse for many years and was then fired when the program started the decline. So I called a high school buddy of mine that went to Syracuse and played for Paul. What he confirmed for me was when he 1st got there the Orangeman ran a 3-4 blitz scheme with plenty of shifts and alignments to confuse and free up blitzing backers. He confirmed that the system was very complex and confusing and took a lot to get adjusted to. The defense would always have 3 down linemen but there was always at least 4 coming. Based on what he was saying is that it is a scheme very similar to Pittsburg. A pressure scheme living and dying by the blitz. In his 4 years there 2 of the 4 years they ran a 3-4 but due to personnel they switched to a 4-3. However, even with the 4-3 alignment there was still a ton of zone blitz packages that they ran.

It sounds to me that our boy Pauly likes a 3-4 zone blitz scheme. I guess it assumed that we will run a similar defense in Miami. While I can not say for sure just take it for what it is worth. Just thought some of you guys like me that is not familiar with the guy would like to know something about our new DC background.
    I think the scheme is good but for the scheme to work we need the players to executed. The schemes could be amazing in design but if we don't have the players to execute it than it won't make much of a difference.
    Quote Quote  

10. -10
    BIG_FISH_RI

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PhinFan0202 View Post
    I think the scheme is good but for the scheme to work we need the players to executed. The schemes could be amazing in design but if we don't have the players to execute it than it won't make much of a difference.
    Your right
    but the thing that a lot of people is over looking is Paul was smart enough to know that he didn't have the right players to run his defense so he changed the defense to fit the personel.
    It will be interesting to see the type of defense that we run next season.
    Quote Quote