Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.



VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: Canadian scientists worried about global cooling

  1. -1
    finswin56's Avatar
    Limitless paper in a paperless world

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Apr 2004
    Posts:
    3,635
    vCash:
    1000
    Loc:
    St. Augustine
    Thanks / No Thanks

    Canadian scientists worried about global cooling

    Back in 1991, before Al Gore first shouted that the Earth was in the balance, the Danish Meteorological Institute released a study using data that went back centuries that showed that global temperatures closely tracked solar cycles.
    To many, those data were convincing. Now, Canadian scientists are seeking additional funding for more and better "eyes" with which to observe our sun, which has a bigger impact on Earth's climate than all the tailpipes and smokestacks on our planet combined.
    And they're worried about global cooling, not warming.
    http://ibdeditorial.com/IBDArticles....87279412587175

    Heritage of a Linebacker by like2god. Simply phenomenal.


    Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.
    -Unknown
    Quote Quote  

  2. -2
    Pro Bowler

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Apr 2007
    Posts:
    1,451
    vCash:
    1000
    Thanks / No Thanks
    The streets shall flow with the blood of the deniers...err..wait a minute

    One of the things that has struck me about the Rise of the Internet, and the parallel rise of Man Centered Global Warming Consensus is the fragile nature of Environmental Catastrophe and the short sightedness of informational dissemination (or is that obfuscation?).

    If the Net were humming along in say 1973, we would be quoting articles of prestiges Scientists about the coming global cooling, and instead of Carbon Taxes, the discussion would be spreading ashes over a pole to speed warming and melting of the ice....

    Meanwhile, in a unnamed River in PA, the sewage that is being dumped in the river (treated beforehand of course) contains so many female hormones, that fish are literally going hermaphradititic (sp).

    Nice, but there are no Nobel's in saving lunker Bass....
    1 Chris Long
    2 T.Collins
    2 P. Sims
    3 A Brown
    4 C Godfrey
    6. Brad Cottam
    7 Jamie Silva
    7 Derrick Morse
    Quote Quote  

  3. -3
    ch19079's Avatar
    Dolphin, its whats for dinner

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Aug 2004
    Posts:
    3,662
    vCash:
    1000
    Loc:
    Apex, NC
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I think the main scientific opinion in the 70s and 80s was that more clouds would be formed, which would block out the sun more, and thus decrease the average global temp.

    In the end, I dont really think anyone has a full understanding of just how complex the world/nature really is.
    Bills fan for life.
    and yes, i know i can't spell worth a damn.

    Samir: No, not again. I... why does it say paper jam when there is no paper jam? I swear to God, one of these days.. Ah. Ah. Ah. I just kick this piece of **** out the window.
    -Office Space-
    Quote Quote  

  4. -4
    unluckyluciano's Avatar
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    May 2006
    Posts:
    4,219
    vCash:
    1000
    Loc:
    somewhere interesting
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I think it's a reference to the little ice age which from what I understand scientists believe was caused by the sun. I believe the sun would have a bigger impact then global warming in the short term, but long term how do you come back from a shift in the poles, atmosphere, death of ecosystems etc.
    This photo is of a young puppy that was photographed by a puppy pornographer. A Vote For UnluckyLuciano Is A Vote Against Puppy Porno.

    Remember MAJPAIN Supports Puppy Pornographers. Should you?
    Quote Quote  

  5. -5
    FINintheMOON's Avatar
    Perennial All-Pro

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Dec 2005
    Posts:
    4,907
    vCash:
    1000
    Loc:
    Catharpin, Va
    Thanks / No Thanks
    The thing that you are not hearing about is the results of fresh water being introduced into the oceans...

    There was a movie out a few years ago called "The day After" or something along those lines... The plot of the movie was that the Gulf Stream and the entire ocean currents failed once too much fresh water was introduced into the seas. This is a very REAL thing. You shut down the ocean currents, it creates another ice age!

    The way this works is that the warm and saline rich flows of the currents travel to the cooler regions of the planet and then sink as they are cooled. The heavy water sinks once cooled... The water is heavy because of the salt content... Now when you disturb this salt content by introducing more fresh water, it no longer sinks and the flow is disrupted... Once the flow is disrupted, there are no longer the temprate environments that Great Britian enjoys as well as Nova Scotia and much of the northern coast of Canada and the US and the same affect happens to all the world!

    Mother EARTH has all the checks and balances in place... Thing is, do we adapt or do we die?

    Props to In Flames for the SICK SIG!
    Quote Quote  

  6. -6
    emeraldfin's Avatar
    Gary Speed RIP

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    May 2007
    Posts:
    4,776
    vCash:
    0
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Maybe I'm wrong about this but from what I was led to believe in 3rd year geography was that the North Atlantic Drift turns into fresh water every 10,000 years, causing an ice age?
    Quote Quote  

  7. -7
    Eshlemon's Avatar
    FinHeaven VIP

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Jan 2004
    Posts:
    4,819
    vCash:
    1437
    Loc:
    Greensboro, NC
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Al Gore will state the debate is over and Canadians are part of a lunatic fringe small minority not credible opposition dummy heads.
    Quote Quote  

  8. -8
    FINintheMOON's Avatar
    Perennial All-Pro

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Dec 2005
    Posts:
    4,907
    vCash:
    1000
    Loc:
    Catharpin, Va
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by emeraldfin View Post
    Maybe I'm wrong about this but from what I was led to believe in 3rd year geography was that the North Atlantic Drift turns into fresh water every 10,000 years, causing an ice age?
    I have been debating the global warming thing for 2+ years now... I have done extensive research into this over those years. For every argument out that that supports global warming, there is another that says it is bunk...

    Those supporting it is focusing on what is happening now. The want mankind to become more evironmentally friendly. This isn't a bad thing though in the long run... I mean, oil resources will eventially run out as well as coal. And in an effort to get away from that dependence, well it can only help us in the long run. This is more political than you would think... And to keep to the forum rules, I will no mention it any further...

    Those denying the effects of mankind being the primary cause of global warming are those that look at the bigger picture... These are the ones that understand the effects of not only the sun's cycle, but the solar cycle and celestial cycle of our planet as well...

    Our planet has a wobble in it's rotation that takes approximately 26,000 years to complete 1 full rotation. The 26,000 years is an estimate and not GOSPEL... This 26,000 cycle has a 4 season effect on the various hemispheres on earth. It is broken down into 4 celestial cycles. The same same cycles that we experience on and annual basis on earth, Spring, Summer, Fall and Winter... The 26,000 year celestial cycle works the same way...

    When you stated 10,000 years, your are not far off as we know the last ice age was approximately 11,000 years ago... Well if you break that up into the 6,000 year celestial cycle, the Spring Cycle took 6,000 years so that puts us in the final years of the Summer celestial cycle... That is the Summer to Fall change and everyone knows that August is typically the hottest month for our hemisphere...

    Now you may ask why I identified a hemisphere and here is the reason... The tilt of our earth is such now where the northern hemisphere is getting the bulk of the sun... Also remember the northern hemisphere is where all the mankind evolved and began creating records of change... However, I digress...

    While the Artic is shrinking and there are reports of the Antartic's demise as well, noone is mentioning the fact that the western part of the Antartic is growing in size and is compensating for the loss elsewhere in the continent...

    I guess the point I am trying to make is that the northern hemisphere is getting more direct sunlight than it has in the past 11,000 years. This is a BIG contribution to what we are seeing in the Artic melt and the glaciers around the world in this hemisphere melting away...

    Has mankind accellerated it? Yes, but we are talking about a 1 second accelleration in a 100 year event...
    Quote Quote  

  9. -9
    emeraldfin's Avatar
    Gary Speed RIP

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    May 2007
    Posts:
    4,776
    vCash:
    0
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by FINintheMOON View Post
    I have been debating the global warming thing for 2+ years now... I have done extensive research into this over those years. For every argument out that that supports global warming, there is another that says it is bunk...

    Those supporting it is focusing on what is happening now. The want mankind to become more evironmentally friendly. This isn't a bad thing though in the long run... I mean, oil resources will eventially run out as well as coal. And in an effort to get away from that dependence, well it can only help us in the long run. This is more political than you would think... And to keep to the forum rules, I will no mention it any further...

    Those denying the effects of mankind being the primary cause of global warming are those that look at the bigger picture... These are the ones that understand the effects of not only the sun's cycle, but the solar cycle and celestial cycle of our planet as well...

    Our planet has a wobble in it's rotation that takes approximately 26,000 years to complete 1 full rotation. The 26,000 years is an estimate and not GOSPEL... This 26,000 cycle has a 4 season effect on the various hemispheres on earth. It is broken down into 4 celestial cycles. The same same cycles that we experience on and annual basis on earth, Spring, Summer, Fall and Winter... The 26,000 year celestial cycle works the same way...

    When you stated 10,000 years, your are not far off as we know the last ice age was approximately 11,000 years ago... Well if you break that up into the 6,000 year celestial cycle, the Spring Cycle took 6,000 years so that puts us in the final years of the Summer celestial cycle... That is the Summer to Fall change and everyone knows that August is typically the hottest month for our hemisphere...

    Now you may ask why I identified a hemisphere and here is the reason... The tilt of our earth is such now where the northern hemisphere is getting the bulk of the sun... Also remember the northern hemisphere is where all the mankind evolved and began creating records of change... However, I digress...

    While the Artic is shrinking and there are reports of the Antartic's demise as well, noone is mentioning the fact that the western part of the Antartic is growing in size and is compensating for the loss elsewhere in the continent...

    I guess the point I am trying to make is that the northern hemisphere is getting more direct sunlight than it has in the past 11,000 years. This is a BIG contribution to what we are seeing in the Artic melt and the glaciers around the world in this hemisphere melting away...

    Has mankind accellerated it? Yes, but we are talking about a 1 second accelleration in a 100 year event...
    Excellent post mate, top quality.

    Its not too often I read an un-biased and well researched opinion on the subject of climate change. One question though, I have heard of global, dimming and cooling and their affects, what I would like to know is are these genuine and logical occurences that need particular concern or are they just more enviromentalist propoganda?
    Quote Quote  

  10. -10
    FINintheMOON's Avatar
    Perennial All-Pro

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Dec 2005
    Posts:
    4,907
    vCash:
    1000
    Loc:
    Catharpin, Va
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by emeraldfin View Post
    Excellent post mate, top quality.

    Its not too often I read an un-biased and well researched opinion on the subject of climate change. One question though, I have heard of global, dimming and cooling and their affects, what I would like to know is are these genuine and logical occurences that need particular concern or are they just more enviromentalist propoganda?
    While the topics are real, as well as the research done behind them, you need to draw that conclusion for yourself.

    In another post I pointed out that the Artic melt will affect the Gulf Stream and the overall flow of the oceans. The way these flows work in the oceans around the world is that warm waters keep the flow going due to it's saline content. As the flows reach the cooler parts of the world, the saline content, salt water to be more specific, cools and sinks to provide the return into the overall flow of the oceans... Here is a link that will help you understand that flow...

    http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...&ct=image&cd=1

    Based on the flows, the saline content is the driving factor... However, you start pumping in billions of gallons of fresh water into that flow, it will slow significantly and/or stop...

    Now while that doesn't seem to be much, it will change the ENTIRE world as we see it today! I referenced the movie "The Day After" as an example in the other post as well... I could spend an hour typing the events and transitions of the world that this will cause, or you can watch the movie... Now the movie takes it to the extreme but you can expect an overall cooling of the planet. The severity is unknown...

    Bottom line is the more fresh water introduced into the ocean flows, the slower they get. And the slower they get, the colder the world gets... So to answer your question... Yes it is a genuine and logical concern...
    Quote Quote  

Similar Threads

  1. Global cooling in the not too distant future?
    By finswin56 in forum Science & Technology
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-21-2007, 05:15 PM
  2. Replies: 10
    Last Post: 04-27-2007, 12:33 AM
  3. UK scientists are trying to block release of a DVD on Global warming
    By E L E P H A N T in forum Political | War Forum
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-25-2007, 11:31 PM
  4. Scientists Say Rash Of Wildfires Are Part Of Global Warming...
    By Walking25 in forum Political | War Forum
    Replies: 67
    Last Post: 07-10-2006, 01:25 AM
  5. Scientists: Humans cause global warming
    By Penthos in forum Political | War Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-22-2005, 11:56 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •