Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Could be a (Jake) Long draft

1. -1
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks

Could be a (Jake) Long draft

Dolphin moves could mean it'll be a Long draft
    Posted by: J.D. Robinson on February 12, 2008 12:49 AM

Just some guy's opinion, but one that I tend to agree with:

On Monday, Miami's new regime began what is the first of what is expected to be many waves of turning current Dolphins into former ones. In doing so, the team might have tipped off what it's thinking entering April's NFL draft. It appears that former offensive lineman and new head coach Tony Sparano isn't going to waste time molding a line in his image, and Michigan offensive tackle Jake Long might want to start looking for real estate in South Florida.
    Four tackles were shown the door Monday by Miami general manager Jeff Ireland, including three who either played significant roles in 2007 or figured into the team's long-term plans during the recent past.

Obviously, there are many different directions the Dolphins can go with the first overall pick in the upcoming draft. If the Dolphins cannot trade down, then they are likely to select one of three players: LSU defensive tackle Glenn Dorsey, Boston College quarterback Matt Ryan or Long. Even with Monday's release of Trent Green and Keith Traylor -- potentially paving the way for Ryan or Dorsey to respectively replace them -- the moves indicate that the 6-foot-7, 315-pound Long is the current favorite.

Sparano has probably reviewed the game tape from the 2007 campaign, and likely has come to the conclusion many in South Florida had around the middle of November: Vernon Carey is better suited to play tackle on the right side than the left. After coming along noticeably during 2005 and 2006, Carey was switched from right to left tackle by Cam Cameron before the 2007 season. Carey regressed somewhat this past season, and often showed difficulty in protecting the quarterback's blindside against speed-rushing defensive ends. Shelton's release leaves the right tackle slot open again, and Carey is the most logical replacement.

Drafting Long would also be a benefit to the advancement of John Beck. During the preseason, playing with and against third-stringers, Beck was able to move the Miami offense. When the regular season began, and first-team defensive lines began feasting on the below-average Miami offensive line, Beck struggled. Any hope that Beck can turn into a workable NFL thrower depends on whether he can gain confidence in his passing abilities, which will only happen if he's standing upright. Want to see the difference between a quarterback with time and one without? Go watch Tom Brady against the Giants in Week 17. Then go watch him again in the Super Bowl facing the same team.

http://www.realfootball365.com/nfl/articles/21266.html
    Quote Quote  

2. -2
    Seer of Visions

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Weeki Wachee, Florida
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jim1 View Post

On Monday, Miami's new regime began what is the first of what is expected to be many waves of turning current Dolphins into former ones. In doing so, the team might have tipped off what it's thinking entering April's NFL draft. It appears that former offensive lineman and new head coach Tony Sparano isn't going to waste time molding a line in his image, and Michigan offensive tackle Jake Long might want to start looking for real estate in South Florida.
    Four tackles were shown the door Monday by Miami general manager Jeff Ireland, including three who either played significant roles in 2007 or figured into the team's long-term plans during the recent past.

Obviously, there are many different directions the Dolphins can go with the first overall pick in the upcoming draft. If the Dolphins cannot trade down, then they are likely to select one of three players: LSU defensive tackle Glenn Dorsey, Boston College quarterback Matt Ryan or Long. Even with Monday's release of Trent Green and Keith Traylor -- potentially paving the way for Ryan or Dorsey to respectively replace them -- the moves indicate that the 6-foot-7, 315-pound Long is the current favorite.

Sparano has probably reviewed the game tape from the 2007 campaign, and likely has come to the conclusion many in South Florida had around the middle of November: Vernon Carey is better suited to play tackle on the right side than the left. After coming along noticeably during 2005 and 2006, Carey was switched from right to left tackle by Cam Cameron before the 2007 season. Carey regressed somewhat this past season, and often showed difficulty in protecting the quarterback's blindside against speed-rushing defensive ends. Shelton's release leaves the right tackle slot open again, and Carey is the most logical replacement.

Drafting Long would also be a benefit to the advancement of John Beck. During the preseason, playing with and against third-stringers, Beck was able to move the Miami offense. When the regular season began, and first-team defensive lines began feasting on the below-average Miami offensive line, Beck struggled. Any hope that Beck can turn into a workable NFL thrower depends on whether he can gain confidence in his passing abilities, which will only happen if he's standing upright. Want to see the difference between a quarterback with time and one without? Go watch Tom Brady against the Giants in Week 17. Then go watch him again in the Super Bowl facing the same team.

I really think this is overreacting.

This is a deep left tackle draft, they could just as easily be targeting a left tackle with pick 32 or later.

My other thought on this is, Jake Long is not an Orlando Pace, Johnathan Ogden, or Tony Boselli caliber prospect, so spending 1st overall money on him is questionable.

Obviously they would love to trade out of this spot I think, but if no deal is possible, it makes more sense to spend that kind of money on a QB, or can't miss guys like Dorsey or C. Long.

The truth is, there will be left tackles drafted later in this draft that have as much or more potential than Jake Long.
    Jay Fiedler can take his'n and lose to your'n.....or take your'n and lose to his'n.

Quote Quote  

3. -3
    Doesnt play well with others

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    In a Van down by the rive
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueFin View Post

This is a deep left tackle draft, they could just as easily be targeting a left tackle with pick 32 or later.

My other thought on this is, Jake Long is not an Orlando Pace, Johnathan Ogden, or Tony Boselli caliber prospect, so spending 1st overall money on him is questionable.

Obviously they would love to trade out of this spot I think, but if no deal is possible, it makes more sense to spend that kind of money on a QB, or can't miss guys like Dorsey or C. Long.

The truth is, there will be left tackles drafted later in this draft that have as much or more potential than Jake Long.
    Very good point, and this part of the quote makes absolute zero sense

I would bet Sporano has actually watched lots of tape of Jake Long, and watched him continuously get beat by speed-rushers...but at the college level.
    Quote Quote  

4. -4
    ihaveprettyfeet

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Calgary Alberta
    Thanks / No Thanks
    OT first day
    Quote Quote  

5. -5
    Enter at your own risk...

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Milwaukee, WI
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I would have to agree that these cuts do not nessiarily mean we will take Jake Long with the first overall pick. I think our FO sees that there are many good OT in the draft. And there will be a guy with a first round grade available when we make the 32nd overall selection.
    Say No to 1st Round RBs!

Quote Quote  

6. -6
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jim1 View Post

one could also say the same for dorsey/ellis as 3 or four dt were released as well and it's early. alot of the first guys will be casualties of injury pronness/lack of talent.
    Quote Quote  

7. -7
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueFin View Post

Potential don't pay the mortgage.

"You lose with potential. You win with performance."

Bill Parcells
    Quote Quote  

8. -8
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I wont get into the RT or LT debate at this time but Jake Long isn't even the best OT in the draft. Ryan Clady is at the moment.
    Quote Quote  

9. -9
    Ray Lucas' mom didn't take vitamins

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Southern Cali
    Thanks / No Thanks
    The fact that Vernon Carey can play both OT spots, we won't have to worry about drafting a sure LT. There are 5 solid OT in this draft with first round grades.

Jake Long
    Ryan Clady
    Jeff Otah
    Chris Williams
    Gosder Cherilus

I'm thinking at least 1-2 should be sitting there at 32.... I have a feeling (if he's there) we might nab Cherilus... BP has history with BC linemen.
    Quote Quote  

10. -10
    Owner of the Palace of Wisdom

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Harrisburg, PA
    Thanks / No Thanks
    people know my stance on Long since I'm a Michigan fan. I definatly think too many people are in the mind set he can't play LT, when he's been a pretty dominant LT the last 2 years with very little talent on Michigan's OL (Adam Kraus is the only other upperclassman who will get drafted. Boren and Schilling could be good though). I would welcome the best player on my college team to my pro team, but he is not my first choice.
    Quote Quote