Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Final Pre-Combine Mock

1. -1
    Owner of the Palace of Wisdom

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Harrisburg, PA
    Thanks / No Thanks

Final Pre-Combine Mock

With the combine closing in, I thought it was time for one final Mock before the draft positions become more evident.

1.Chris Long OLB/DE, Virginia Some people might think Jake Long is now an option, but I don't think so. Remember last year the Giants released Luke Petitgout, his back-up retired, and they did not pick up an o-lineman until I believe the 7th round. The pick is still either Chris Long or Glenn Dorsey. You can't go wrong either way, and IMO Long still gets the nod due to the Parcells connection with Al Groh.

2a.Anthony Collins OT, Kansas It is looking more and more likely that DRC will not make it to the second round (but if he is there, he should be the pick). Collins had an All-American year for the Jayhawks, and is quickly rising up the boards. I think this move allows us to move Carey back to his more natural position of RT.

2b.Brandon Flowers CB, Virginia Tech so far he's been an overlooked prospect. Great size, very physical, and has decent speed. Though to be honest, somebody like Phillip Wheeler or Shawn Crable is very tempting here.

3.Chilo Rachel OG, USC WE cut, what, 5 offensive linemen? We'll probably bring a vet or 2 in, but you still need some youth. With Mormino still an unknown, and Hadnot becoming a FA (and unless you think he's worth $30 million, I doubt he's back) it's time to look into a guard. Rachel has good size, and has played in a prostyle offense at USC. Also fairly athletic for his size.

4.Cliff Avril DE/OLB/ILB, Purdue This pick was inspired by KB's mock in VIP. Avril will definatly go to a 3-4 team (too small to be anything more than a situational pass rusher in a 4-3). But like so many Purdue DEs before him (Rosevelt Colvin,Shaun Phillips,Anthony Spencer) he is a great athlete that projects very well into a 3-4. KB also mentions that he could very easily move to ILB (like Colvin has been doing off and on with the Pats). He does have experience as a stand up OLB so it would not be an overly hard transition for Avril to make.

5.no pick

6.Darrell Strong TE, Pittsburgh seldom used TE from our old buddy Wanny. Decent size, weight, hands, and blocking ability. Could develop into something.

7.Caleb Campbell S, Army will be drafted a lot lower than he deserves due to the army, but could become a starter down the road. Also helps with ST.

Authors Note: Not the greatest mock I've ever done, but this is very rough until we figure out who is projected to go where after the combine. I think it is fairly realistic, and I think this would help our beloved Fins a lot.
    Quote Quote  

2. -2
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    miami, fl
    Thanks / No Thanks
    nothing sexy about the draft, but probably one of the better ones up so far. i'd be really happy with it.
    Quote Quote  

3. -3
    Waterlogged

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I really like it other than the Flowers pick, very questionable character issues that I'm sure our FO will avoid.
    Quote Quote  

4. -4
    Owner of the Palace of Wisdom

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Harrisburg, PA
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by #1 Fan View Post
    nothing sexy about the draft, but probably one of the better ones up so far. i'd be really happy with it.
    not sexy, but effective
    Quote Quote  

5. -5
    Ted Hill

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Miami, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I don't like it, we need an offensive skill player before the sixth round, preferably WR.
    Quote Quote  

6. -6
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    New York
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ChambersWI View Post
    With the combine closing in, I thought it was time for one final Mock before the draft positions become more evident.

1.Chris Long OLB/DE, Virginia Some people might think Jake Long is now an option, but I don't think so. Remember last year the Giants released Luke Petitgout, his back-up retired, and they did not pick up an o-lineman until I believe the 7th round. The pick is still either Chris Long or Glenn Dorsey. You can't go wrong either way, and IMO Long still gets the nod due to the Parcells connection with Al Groh.

2a.Anthony Collins OT, Kansas It is looking more and more likely that DRC will not make it to the second round (but if he is there, he should be the pick). Collins had an All-American year for the Jayhawks, and is quickly rising up the boards. I think this move allows us to move Carey back to his more natural position of RT.

2b.Brandon Flowers CB, Virginia Tech so far he's been an overlooked prospect. Great size, very physical, and has decent speed. Though to be honest, somebody like Phillip Wheeler or Shawn Crable is very tempting here.

3.Chilo Rachel OG, USC WE cut, what, 5 offensive linemen? We'll probably bring a vet or 2 in, but you still need some youth. With Mormino still an unknown, and Hadnot becoming a FA (and unless you think he's worth $30 million, I doubt he's back) it's time to look into a guard. Rachel has good size, and has played in a prostyle offense at USC. Also fairly athletic for his size.

4.Cliff Avril DE/OLB/ILB, Purdue This pick was inspired by KB's mock in VIP. Avril will definatly go to a 3-4 team (too small to be anything more than a situational pass rusher in a 4-3). But like so many Purdue DEs before him (Rosevelt Colvin,Shaun Phillips,Anthony Spencer) he is a great athlete that projects very well into a 3-4. KB also mentions that he could very easily move to ILB (like Colvin has been doing off and on with the Pats). He does have experience as a stand up OLB so it would not be an overly hard transition for Avril to make.

5.no pick

6.Darrell Strong TE, Pittsburgh seldom used TE from our old buddy Wanny. Decent size, weight, hands, and blocking ability. Could develop into something.

7.Caleb Campbell S, Army will be drafted a lot lower than he deserves due to the army, but could become a starter down the road. Also helps with ST.

Authors Note: Not the greatest mock I've ever done, but this is very rough until we figure out who is projected to go where after the combine. I think it is fairly realistic, and I think this would help our beloved Fins a lot.
    Very nice mock. Flowers is a nice pick butmight be a reach at that spot. Strong I know nothing about. Can you tell me a little more about why chose him. The other picks are very solid
    Better than Chris Long and Vernon Gholston
    PHILLIP MERLING
    Quote Quote  

7. -7
    Upstate NY's #1 Finfan!

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Saratoga Springs, NY The Home of Bill Parcels
    Thanks / No Thanks
    If we got Rachal in the third who is gonna bail out Tuna/Ireland for that heist? If this was our draft Id love it! Four startes who can all become stars.
    Quote Quote  

8. -8
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Cincinnati/UD
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Nice work ChambersWI. Even if Flowers does have character issues, wasn't Parcells at the VT vs. KU Orange Bowl game? He's at least got a first hand view of Flowers. The only minor change I'd make is taking a NT prospect somewhere in the 2nd instead of Collins. Pat Sims or Ahtyba Rubin could be possibilities. But I like it overall. Good work.

Huge Props to Nublar7 for the awesome sig!

www.twoguystalkingfootball.com/ -for the inside scoop on the NFL, College Bowl Season, and the NFL draft, come check out my blog.
    Quote Quote  

9. -9
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Calgary
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Solid and realistic at this point in time. Good work, and if the cards fell that way i'd be happy knowing we have some good prospects coming out of the 08 draft.
    Quote Quote  

10. -10
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Fremont, Ohio
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ChambersWI View Post

5.no pick

campbell i ve seen as a 4-5 round projection. chilo might be a 2nd rounder too. there are some teams that need OG and he is the best
    Quote Quote