Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The kind of Free agents Fins should be looking at

1. -1
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks

The kind of Free agents Fins should be looking at

I know there's been a lot of discussion on here about players like Flozell Adams and Faneca for the Fins to pursue. But I think these are exactly the kind of players they should be avoiding in FA.

If we were a player or two away from being competitive, I have no problem looking at these guys. But in a rebuilding mode, to me it makes little sense to throw unreal amounts of money at 30-plus players.

As far as elite free agents, I think you have to look at players like Briggs, Corey Williams and Ken Hamlin. These are guys all around 27 and still have high ceilings. It's not often players like that hit the market, therefore you have to explore those possibilities. They can be on your team past the rebuilding process.

I would also like to see the Fins look at players like Bryant Johnson, Tommy Kelly and Randall Gay. I think these are all players that would fit into our system and are all young enough they can still get better, or at least maintain they level they are at for several more seasons.
    Quote Quote  

2. -2
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    basically Cheap, young, unknowns free agent with potential. Going on the spending spree is not good unless its a position such CB or LT.
    Quote Quote  

3. -3
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Randall Gay, Bryant Johnson, Isaac Sopoago and the tackle from pats that never crack the line up
    Quote Quote  

4. -4
    $$UNDERDOG$$

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    The types of players we will be looking at are players who played for Parcells in the past.He has built a reputation for using this method to build successful teams. Parcells hardly ever signs FA's that haven't played for him and if he does they are few and far between.
    Quote Quote  

5. -5
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    South Jersey
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by sleek View Post
    The types of players we will be looking at are players who played for Parcells in the past.He has built a reputation for using this method to build successful teams. Parcells hardly ever signs FA's that haven't played for him and if he does they are few and far between.
    urban legend.

just using the info I can find for 2004, 2005 and 2006 with the Cowboys....here are players he's signed who he didn't have a history with:

Eddie George
    Marcellus Wiley
    Marc Columbo
    JR Tolver
    Marco Rivera
    Mike barrow
    Anthony Henry
    Tony Bua
    Cory Procter
    Ethan Brooks
    Terrell Owens (yeah I know this wasn't his choice)
    Mike Vanderjagt
    Ryan Hannam
    Kyle Kosier
    Akin Ayodele
    Abram Elam

(there were 7 players over this span that I could link Parcells to : Testeverde, D.Ward, J.Ferguson, M.Coleman, Bledsoe, A.Glenn and J.Fabini)

There were several relative unknowns who I didn't know either way so I didn't include.

Does Parcells have a history of bringing in staff and players that he has worked with before? Absolutely. Does he avoid players that he hasn't worked with? No.
    Quote Quote  

6. -6
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Cheap no. Players yes. Faneca is a player. Pay him some dough. he is not old. your only as old as your play shows. Faneca is still great. It showed in Pitt. Still a PB player. Guys like him never quit.
    Quote Quote  

7. -7
    $$UNDERDOG$$

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by burger13 View Post
    urban legend.

just using the info I can find for 2004, 2005 and 2006 with the Cowboys....here are players he's signed who he didn't have a history with:

Eddie George
    Marcellus Wiley
    Marc Columbo
    JR Tolver
    Marco Rivera
    Mike barrow
    Anthony Henry
    Tony Bua
    Cory Procter
    Ethan Brooks
    Terrell Owens (yeah I know this wasn't his choice)
    Mike Vanderjagt
    Ryan Hannam
    Kyle Kosier
    Akin Ayodele
    Abram Elam

(there were 7 players over this span that I could link Parcells to : Testeverde, D.Ward, J.Ferguson, M.Coleman, Bledsoe, A.Glenn and J.Fabini)

There were several relative unknowns who I didn't know either way so I didn't include.

Does Parcells have a history of bringing in staff and players that he has worked with before? Absolutely. Does he avoid players that he hasn't worked with? No.
    I didn't say he avoids players he hasn't worked with I said they are few and far between.I would consider those that you listed to be the the few and far between when you look at the fact that was a span over 3 yrs and that there are 53 guys to a roster. I would say the majority of guys that make up Parcells roster are guys he is familiar with and rookies he has chosen.So far Trey Darilek(signed),Matt Baker(signed),Junior Glymph(signed0, Joey Thomas(signed), Keyshawn(rumors),Sean Ryan(expressed interest), and I would be willling to bet Flo and Keith Davis wind up here are all past system guys.I would say for every maybe one to two non familar guys he might bring in he brings in ten familiar guys.
    Quote Quote  

8. -8
    Jests, Patsies, & Jills Hater Supreme

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Earth (at least that's my story and I'm sticking to it)
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by sleek View Post
    I didn't say he avoids players he hasn't worked with I said they are few and far between.I would consider those that you listed to be the the few and far between when you look at the fact that was a span over 3 yrs and that there are 53 guys to a roster.
    But he named 15 (16 if one counts TO) that the 'Pokes signed that didn't have ties with Parcells vs. only 7 (over the same span that he can remember) that did. So if the 15 is "few and far between", then what's the 7? Sorry, but unless you can come up with more names for the latter category, I'd say this myth has been busted.
    Irv: Derice, a gold medal is a wonderful thing. But if you're not enough without one, you'll never be enough *with* one.
    [Turns to leave]
    Derice Bannock: Hey coach, how will I know if I'm enough?
    Irv: When you cross that finish line tomorrow, you'll know.
    Quote Quote  

9. -9
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Marion, N.C.
    Thanks / No Thanks
    7 Year vet and Super Bowl MVP Dwight Smith was just released from the Vikes. Might be worth a look.
    Quote Quote  

10. -10
    PowerHungryMo'fo

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    One of those Guys on your list never played a snap.

Jerry Jones took a flyer on just about everybody, as long as your not paying a signing bonus. It doesn't cost if you cut the guy a day later.
    Quote Quote