Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Military leaders warn Clinton and Obama against their planned withdrawals.

1. -1
    Mad Dog

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Miami
    Thanks / No Thanks

Military leaders warn Clinton and Obama against their planned withdrawals.

"But at a news conference afterward, Navy Adm. Michael G. Mullen cautioned against policies that include a rapid withdrawal from Iraq, saying leaving too quickly would undermine recent security gains.

"I do worry about a rapid withdrawal," said Mullen, who serves as the top military advisor to the president."

"Both of the Democratic presidential candidates back accelerated troop withdrawals. Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton has said she would pull out up to two brigades a month. Sen. Barack Obama has supported a similar pace of reductions.

Military leaders have been more cautious. Mullen's predecessor, Marine Gen. Peter Pace, said the military could safely withdraw one brigade a month. Army Gen. David H. Petraeus, the top U.S. military commander in Iraq, is more cautious still. "

Personally, at this point, I would listen to Petraeus on Iraq over anyone else on earth.

So what about it, should we "listen to the generals"?

http://www.latimes.com/news/printedi...1,592457.story
    Free Tibet

Quote Quote  

2. -2
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    im fine with a slower withdrawal, as long as we have an end plan

as of now, I don't think we have an end plan in Iraq. We need to get the Iraqi govt governing themselves as quicky as possible.

we cant just "stay until everything is alright" because everything will never be in that country. We have to force the Iraqi's to take initiative, and a planned withdrawal will do that. If it takes about a year to substantially reduce, I am fine with that. As long as there is a plan involved.
    Quote Quote  

3. -3
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Greensboro, NC
    Thanks / No Thanks
    IMHO, I do not believe Hilary or Obama will remove troops on a scale stated based if situations status quo remains. I am not stating they will remove troops, just not the significant amounts proposed...a 100 a month with 50 rotated in for instance. Which the defense department has stated will be needed anyway to aleviate the over-extended troops.

Neither candidate risk the prospect of an Iraq degenerating to pre-Pretraeus conditions or worse.
    Quote Quote  

4. -4
    Sporty Don

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Long Beach, Ca
    Thanks / No Thanks
    They've said they'd consult their Chief of Staff to come up with a safe withdrawal plan. They'll listen to the generals to get the troops out as safely as possible from everything I've heard them say.

Quote Quote  

5. -5
    A Miami Dolphins fan, not a players fan.

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Orlando, Fl.
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DonShula84 View Post
    They've said they'd consult their Chief of Staff to come up with a safe withdrawal plan. They'll listen to the generals to get the troops out as safely as possible from everything I've heard them say.
    Didn't Obama pledge he would start to remove our troops within 90 days? If that's true why consult with Generals?
    Quote Quote  

6. -6
    Mad Dog

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Miami
    Thanks / No Thanks

Obama has recently moved up his timetable

"In his victory speech in Texas Tuesday, Barack Obama promised to end the Iraq war in 2009, a new commitment that parallels recent opinion pieces in The Nation.

Prior to his Houston remarks, Obama's previous position favored an American combat troop withdrawal over a sixteen-to-eighteen-month timeframe."

http://www.thenation.com/doc/20080303/hayden
    Quote Quote  

7. -7
    Sporty Don

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Long Beach, Ca
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ohall View Post
    Didn't Obama pledge he would start to remove our troops within 90 days? If that's true why consult with Generals?
    Consult them on how to proceed? Starting the withdrawal in 90 days doesnt mean he isnt going to consult them on how quickly, or how many, or how in general, to get the rest out. I dont think he's saying at day 90 all are out at once. So there is plenty of information he still needs from his Chief of Staff.
    Quote Quote  

8. -8
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Theres no way you're going to move 2 brigades a month out. I think we need to draw down the number in Iraq but safely over time. I think Clinton and Obama are saying things their voters want/need to hear to feel good about voting for them. Regardless of who wins the Whitehouse we are going to have troops in Iraq at some level for our lifetimes.
    Quote Quote  

9. -9
    Reach for the Stars

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Maryland
    Thanks / No Thanks
    One thing I'm sure of, and that's Hillary and Obama will give directives, but allow the military to withdrawal in the safest way they see fit..unlike Romfeld who told the military how many troops to deploy and handled the strategic on this battle instead of the Generals..you can say Bush started this trend...but I'm sure the Dem's will defer to the Military experts on how best to withdraw..based on what they both expressed and their sentiments about the military.
    Quote Quote  

10. -10
    Pro Bowl

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Seattle, WA
    Thanks / No Thanks
    as others have said in this thread, the generals know more about what is going on and what would work than a couple of representatives who've never even been there, much less served in any strategic capacity in the military.

That said, the greater problem is the civil war in Iraq, which isn't going to go away overnight. You have the religious groups vying for control. When you have a dictator, as bad as he was, he added some semblance of stability to the region. Now it is "up for grabs", and if you think ANY of the Iraqis are actually going to get behind this democratic experiment the second we pull out, you're fooling yourselves.

Picture a country full of Dems and Repubs, but both sides take the position that if the other side wins, we'll constantly fight (with arms), bomb each other, and try to section off certain areas of the country.... its ridiculous, and that is how they are with religion, not political parties.

As a country we are extremely naiive if we think we can go in there and undo thousands of years of religion. that's the bottom line.
    Need financial help/advice?
    I can help you with your 401ks, IRAs, Roths, mutual funds, stocks, bonds, etc...

Support our Armed Forces!
    Quote Quote