Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now

Thread: Excuse My Ignorance.. First time Fantasy Team Owner

1. -1
    Perennial All-Pro

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    Thanks / No Thanks

Excuse My Ignorance.. First time Fantasy Team Owner

This will sound like a stupid question but I just dont know the answer to it.. I have 1 defense and 1 kicker on my team.. My defense is the Packers.. What do I do in Week 9 when my Packers are on a BYE week?? Do I drop them and pick up a different defense?? How does that work??
    Last edited by RUDEbyallMEANS; 08-21-2003 at 11:22 PM.
    Quote Quote  

2. -2
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Vacaville, CA
    Thanks / No Thanks
    you should have a group of "Bench" players on your team for when your starters have bye weeks or get injured, be sure to grab a Defense as one of your bench teams, preferably a team that plays a weak Offense that week.
    My Nomination for dumbest statement of the year.
    Said regarding the 10 commandments statue.

"This isn't about religeon! This is about acknowleging the allmighty god!"
    ~Some moron on talk radio out here.
    Quote Quote  

3. -3
    Perennial All-Pro

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Barbarian... My draft is over.. Am I able to take a defense after the draft to put on my bench??
    Quote Quote  

4. -4
    Help... I'm a lesbian in a man's body!!

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Somewhere in the depths of Utah (HELL)
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Usually everybody who didn't get drafted goes into a Free Agent pool which you can pick people up throughout the year. So, when week 9 rolls around you take a look at your roster and decide on somebody to cut, and then pick up a Defense to plug in for that 1 week. The next week, you can drop that extra defense cause you don't really need 'em anymore.

Some people will draft two defenses just so that they can play matchups throughout the entire year. I prefer to load up on offensive players myself so that I can use 'em as trade bait and I have alot of depth at all of my positions.

I always tend to carry 2 QBs just in case 1 of 'em goes down. I don't particularly want to have to pick up a QB from free agency because what doesn't get drafted tends to be pretty poor pickins.

I don't tend to carry more than 1 tight end, kicker, or defense. I'll just pick up someone on that player's bye week and then drop them the week after.
    Quote Quote  

5. -5
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Vacaville, CA
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Originally posted by UT-Phinz
    Usually everybody who didn't get drafted goes into a Free Agent pool which you can pick people up throughout the year. So, when week 9 rolls around you take a look at your roster and decide on somebody to cut, and then pick up a Defense to plug in for that 1 week. The next week, you can drop that extra defense cause you don't really need 'em anymore.

Some people will draft two defenses just so that they can play matchups throughout the entire year. I prefer to load up on offensive players myself so that I can use 'em as trade bait and I have alot of depth at all of my positions.

I always tend to carry 2 QBs just in case 1 of 'em goes down. I don't particularly want to have to pick up a QB from free agency because what doesn't get drafted tends to be pretty poor pickins.

I don't tend to carry more than 1 tight end, kicker, or defense. I'll just pick up someone on that player's bye week and then drop them the week after.
    bingo
    Quote Quote  

6. -6
    Lurking ready to Strike

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Atlantic City, NJ
    Thanks / No Thanks

Re: Excuse My Ignorance.. First time Fantasy Team Owner

Originally posted by RUDEbyallMEANS
    This will sound like a stupid question but I just dont know the answer to it.. I have 1 defense and 1 kicker on my team.. My defense is the Packers.. What do I do in Week 9 when my Packers are on a BYE week?? Do I drop them and pick up a different defense?? How does that work??
    Or whoever is on your bench and not worth anything by week 9 you can drop and pick up another defense. I never carry two defenses, I think its a waste of a spot on the bench. Either way, your FA pool and bench can be used whether or not you want to pick up another D now, or week 8, good luck!
    Quote Quote  

7. -7
    Perennial All-Pro

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    Thanks / No Thanks
    So when I cut Green Bay on my roster and pick up Denvers defense.. Wouldnt an opponent in my league be able to pick up Green Bay??
    Quote Quote  

8. -8
    Perennial All-Pro

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Nevermind.. I just saw the "cut somebody" on your post.. I get it now.. So when Green Bays BYE week comes up, I can drop Bettis and pick up Denver..
    Last edited by RUDEbyallMEANS; 08-22-2003 at 03:10 PM.
    Quote Quote  

9. -9
    Lurking ready to Strike

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Atlantic City, NJ
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Nevermind.. I just saw the "cut somebody" on your post.. I get it now.. So when Green Bays BYE week comes up, I can drop Bettis and pick up Denver..
    Yepper, just remember, whoever is on your bench you will know by that week if Bettis is worth anything, or anyone on your bench...
    Quote Quote  

10. -10
    Help... I'm a lesbian in a man's body!!

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Somewhere in the depths of Utah (HELL)
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Exactly... although depending upon what happens between now and week 9, you may decide you want to hang on to Bettis and cut someone else. Say for instance, Amos Zereoue breaks his leg and is out for the rest of the season. Jerome's value just quadrupled, didn't it?

That's the reason why the only positions that I carry a backup for are QB, WR, and RB, and I usually tend to have 2 or 3 backups for my WR and RB corps, and one backup QB on my roster.

I only carry 1 TE, 1 Kicker, and 1 Defense because the people who are left in the free agent pool really aren't much worse than the lowest value TE, Kicker, or Defense that was drafted. I'd rather use those roster spots to hog offensive players away from the other teams and maybe use as some trade bait, and when a bye week rolls around for my TE, Kicker, or Defense I'll then make a decision on which of the players on my roster has not performed up to par and who is the least likely to improve, and cut him to pick up a plug in for that bye week.

Fantasy Football is won more through uncovering gems in the Free Agent pool and by making smart trades than it is won on draft day. One of the guys in my league picked up Clinton Portis about 3 seconds after the injury which put Portis in the game. Talk about a great pickup, eh? But... without that injury we might never have seen the skills and talent that Portis brings to the table last year.
    Quote Quote