Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now

Thread: Airing Black America's "Dirty Laundry"?

1. -1
    FinHeaven Elite

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Huntsville, AL
    Thanks / No Thanks

Airing Black America's "Dirty Laundry"?

(CBS) Jesse Jackson set off a furor recently on a very sensitive issue, when he accused Barack Obama of "talking down to black people." African Americans have been debating for years on how tough to be on young black men. But as CBS News correspondent Mark Strassmann reports, the debate is over for one judge in Atlanta. He's decided to be tough enough to change lives.
    Judge Marvin Arrington has had it.

"People are shooting, robbing people, dropping out of school," Arrington laments.
    He says he's tired of seeing the same people in his Atlanta courtroom, over and over.

"Ninety percent of you are African Americans," he says to a courtroom packed with young black men.
    Judge Arrington is offended -- and embarrassed.

"I wonder sometimes what in the world Dr. King and all them died for," he says.
    It's a racial scolding. It's blunt, public and controversial.

"What in the world is going on? Why cannot we stop and get it right?" Arrington said in an interview with Strassmann.
    In black America, a private family conversation about what's wrong, has gone public, and turned bitter. Take for example civil rights leader Jesse Jackson's reaction to Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama's Father's Day speech, in which the candidate chided young black men for being absentee fathers.

"Too many fathers are also missing, too many fathers are M.I.A.. Too many fathers are AWOL," Obama said last month.
    In an unguarded moment this week, Jackson was clearly furious at Obama.

"I'd like to cut his n--ts off," Jackson fumed.

Not Arrington. He thinks the tough-love is long overdue. As a kid, Arrington was a bit of a thug, the sort of kid he often sees in court. Family and teachers set him straight.

"I was just hanging out being one of the boys," Arrington told Strassmann "And one day the light clicked on. I didn't want to be one of the boys."
    http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/...n4256797.shtml
    Quote Quote  

2. -2
    Dolphin, its whats for dinner

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Apex, NC
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I dont like the idea of judges saying anything. But I cant exactly disagree.
    Bills fan for life.
    and yes, i know i can't spell worth a damn.

Samir: No, not again. I... why does it say paper jam when there is no paper jam? I swear to God, one of these days.. Ah. Ah. Ah. I just kick this piece of **** out the window.
    -Office Space-
    Quote Quote  

3. -3
    Desert Dolphin

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Tucson, Arizona
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Well Mr. Jackson, if you don't condone talking down to black men, then in what way should we talk to young black men in America, because so far nothing seems to work!

Maybe if more people like this judge and people like Bill Cosby and yes like Obamatron speak more to black America in this way then that message will be more prevalent than the old message they have been hearing, and ignoring for decades.
    Quote Quote  

4. -4
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Perhaps if people were listening to Bill Cosby several years ago, maybe a good number of black youths would be around to see adulthood in the future. He was roundly chastized for speaking such truth to people who didn't want to look in the mirror and see that they actually do have some self-created problems. Until people are honest with themselves, the problem will continue, more people will die. Playing the blame game doesn't advance anyone. It merely delays the solution.
    Quote Quote  

5. -5
    Reach for the Stars

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Maryland
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I like this, but the only thing I become alarmed about is everybody thinks it's all black youth, it's not, it's a small percentage, but they get all the pub..unfortunate... the urban life is a tough one, and without men who've acheived something to teach and show, the guidance in the hood so to speak is very limited, and when ppl are limited in terms of knowledge, they don't think..and as a result end up in the system.. Tough love is what's needed, and men getting women pregant and not taking responsibility is getting out of control and that's all races now.. We're headed to even larger prisons if we don't start now, trying to turn this around...a judge is a good start.
    Quote Quote