Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 1 of 10 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: 10 findings from Republicans Report on Young Voters

1. -1
    #freespesh

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks

10 findings from Republicans Report on Young Voters

The College Republican National Committee has commissioned a report examining the party's dim prospects with millennials, who gave Barack Obama a five-million-vote edge over Mitt Romney in the 2012 election. The focus-group reviews are in – and they are brutal. Here are the 10 most scathing quotes from the admirably frank report, titled "Grand Old Party of a Brand New Generation."

1. "Young 'winnable' Obama voters were asked to say what words came to mind when they heard 'Republican Party.' The responses were brutal: closed-minded, racist, rigid, old-fashioned."

2. "Asked which words least described the GOP, respondents gravitated toward 'open-minded' (35%), 'tolerant' (25%), 'caring' (22%), and 'cooperative' (21%)."

3. "For the GOP, being thought of as closed-minded is hardly a good thing. But if the GOP is thought of as the 'stupid party,' it may as well be the kiss of death."

4. "A Hispanic voter in the San Diego focus group harshly laid out how she thought Republicans viewed social mobility for immigrants: '[They have] that mentality that you're born like royalty and the peasants stay peasants.'"

5. "An outright majority of young people still think those Republican policies are to blame [for the Great Recession] – hardly an encouraging finding."

6. "If young voters primarily thought the Republican Party's policy plan in 2012 was to prevent gay marriage and to ensure very low taxes for very rich people . . . it's understandable that a large majority voted the other way. . . . Opposition to gay marriage is a 'deal breaker' to one out of four young voters."

7. "Our focus on taxation and business issues has left many young voters thinking they will only reap the benefits of Republican policies if they become wealthy or rise to the top of a big business. We've become the party that will pat you on your back when you make it, but won't offer a hand to help you get there."

8. "Perhaps most troubling for Republicans is the finding from the March 2013 CRNC survey that showed 54% of young voters saying 'taxes should go up on the wealthy.'"

9. "When asked if they thought any Republican policies were making them personally worse off, one replied, 'Arizona comes to mind, all the laws that they've passed there regarding immigration and being allowed to pull somebody over just based on how they look.'"

10. "It is not that young voters are enamored of the Democratic Party. They simply dislike the Republican Party more."
    Read more: http://www.rollingstone.com/politics...#ixzz2VkoXJWfU

None of it surprising. A little disappointed this list didnt include anything about the voter supression attempts of last year. Admittedly the report might have, im simply not reading the 95 pages to find out.

And from another article on the subject:

Soltis Anderson ends the College Republican report with an admonition: “Economic growth and opportunity policies cannot just be about tax cuts and spending cuts.” Among the next generation of American voters, she has found ample evidence to support that claim. And yet, if a Republican candidate for president said such a thing, he or she would be driven from the race by a horde of torchbearing, pitchfork-waving Tea Partiers.
    http://www.thedailybeast.com/article...s-for-gop.html

Oh and, because of the racist mention:

Terrorist attack count against the Anything Goes Thread: 4
    Quote Quote  

2. -2
    They looked like strong hands.

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Albuquerque, NM
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Anytime I've mentioned anything along these lines, I get called partisan. It's not partisan if it's true. The Republican party has absolutely no idea on how to bridge the gap between what their base wants and what it will take to start prying some of those youth votes from the Democratic party. I don't think I was exaggerating when I said we were looking at the onset of a liberal/progressive renaissance of sorts. The baby boomer generation is starting to lose power as they age and begin to die off. They are being replaced by the most liberal voting block in recent history. That means they are going to vote for the more progressive candidate. The Republican party has yet to accept this fact and continues to cater to a voting block that is becoming less and less relevant. That's why I keep mentioning that 2016 is going to be an uphill battle for Republicans...

If I could take your pain and frame it, and hang it on my wall,
    maybe you would never have to hurt again...

Quote Quote  

3. -3
    Waterlogged

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    orlando
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Locke View Post
    Anytime I've mentioned anything along these lines, I get called partisan. It's not partisan if it's true. The Republican party has absolutely no idea on how to bridge the gap between what their base wants and what it will take to start prying some of those youth votes from the Democratic party. I don't think I was exaggerating when I said we were looking at the onset of a liberal/progressive renaissance of sorts. The baby boomer generation is starting to lose power as they age and begin to die off. They are being replaced by the most liberal voting block in recent history. That means they are going to vote for the more progressive candidate. The Republican party has yet to accept this fact and continues to cater to a voting block that is becoming less and less relevant. That's why I keep mentioning that 2016 is going to be an uphill battle for Republicans...
    Well first off. I'm really excited to see the liberal circle jerk that's going to take place in this thread. 2nd, while the young voting block is important, younger voters still tend to not show up in big numbers like other voting groups, so I'm not as worried that they don't vote. Lastly, in the 60's young people had the same liberal renaissance right before the republicans took the majority of presidential elections for the next 40 years.

Would you agree Locke that if the republicans could take a more libertarian role of less government and less social issues (I know you mentioned Gary Johnson), that they would be in a much better place moving forward in the future? I also believe most of the youth and minorities who vote democrat weren't doing so because of democrat ideas, but because they didn't like the republican candidate.

Remember, the country still identifies themselves largely as conservative (whatever that means).
    Quote Quote  

4. -4
    Soul Rebel

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Georgia
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1972 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by jared81 View Post
    Would you agree Locke that if the republicans could take a more libertarian role of less government and less social issues (I know you mentioned Gary Johnson), that they would be in a much better place moving forward in the future?
    I think that's the direction they'd have to head in, but even most current Republicans can't get down with some of the true Libertarian values. For instance, as someone who's recently called himself a Libertarian, how do you feel about gay-marriage, the drug war, prostitution, gambling, & discriminatory laws like stop & frisk in NY, & the immigration laws in Arizona?

Quote Quote  

5. -5
    cowboy surfer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Los Angeles
    Thanks / No Thanks
    nobody really gives a sh$# what dumb asz winger kids have to complain about this week.

voter suppression, that's funny.
    Quote Quote  

6. -6

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Albuquerque, NM
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dogbone34 View Post
    nobody really gives a sh$# what dumb asz winger kids have to complain about this week.

Those "dumb asz winger kids" just got Obama a second term, one that he arguably didn't deserve. You may not care what they think, but you can bet your ass the RNC is VERY aware of it...
    Quote Quote  

7. -7
    #freespesh

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dogbone34 View Post

They cared after November 6th.
    Quote Quote  

8. -8

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Albuquerque, NM
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jared81 View Post
    Well first off. I'm really excited to see the liberal circle jerk that's going to take place in this thread. 2nd, while the young voting block is important, younger voters still tend to not show up in big numbers like other voting groups, so I'm not as worried that they don't vote. Lastly, in the 60's young people had the same liberal renaissance right before the republicans took the majority of presidential elections for the next 40 years.

Would you agree Locke that if the republicans could take a more libertarian role of less government and less social issues (I know you mentioned Gary Johnson), that they would be in a much better place moving forward in the future? I also believe most of the youth and minorities who vote democrat weren't doing so because of democrat ideas, but because they didn't like the republican candidate.

Remember, the country still identifies themselves largely as conservative (whatever that means).
    Being a libertarian is the new hipster thing to do. You like to rip on young voters for voting for Obama just because he is cool, but I'm noticed being Libertarian is the new cool thing to do. So we might get an uptick in votes for the third party candidate; but that's going to come largely at the expense of the young Republican vote. So I'm honestly not seeing the advantage there.

I do agree that if the Republican party got their nose out of social issues they'd be in a better place. But they've painted themselves into a corner because the religious right will come out breathing fire if their official position on gay marriage, abortion, etc changes, even from "against" to "don't care". That's what I was talking about when I said they don't know how to bridge that gap. They know what they have to do, but they can't do it because they'll lose portions of their base, which they need. Ideally, they need to convince their base that small government also means stuff they are trying to delegate to everyone. If they can get their base on board with not necessary being for these social issues, but to just accept that small government means they can't tell others what to do, I think that gap closes very quickly. Honestly, if I was a strategist for the RNC, that would be my first campaign. I would blitz the **** out AM talk radio, Fox News, newspapers all over the country (which are now overwhelmingly read by older conservatives), and any other conservative news source, talking about how small government means disagreeing with something, but understanding that the government can't regulate it...
    Quote Quote  

9. -9
    #freespesh

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Locke View Post
    Im intrigued to see if the authors of the report are labeled RINO's. If so, i think we have our answer as to what the right thinks the problem is.

Another article i found interesting(yes, yes, yes, its part of the all pervasive "liberal media" thats everywhere and nowhere):

This is the plight of the Republican Party today. “If we’re being honest,” the chairman of the Republican National Committee, Reince Priebus, moped earlier this year, “we have not really won a decisive presidential election since 1988.” Polls show that the party’s stance on practically every issue is a loser: same-sex marriage, international affairs, immigration, even taxes and the deficit. But this dismal situation was, a quarter century ago, the plight of the Democrats...

Watching the GOP’s struggles, former DLCers say they recognize all the old symptoms—the alibis, the search for a procedural panacea, the party committee dominated by diehards. But on the question of whether the Republican Party has just been through its version of 1988, they’re not so sure. As Will Marshall put it: “They know they have a political problem—that’s obvious. But I don’t think they’ve come to grips with the fundamental issue, which is their governing philosophy. I think they’re going to have to lose one more.”
    http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/...he-gop/309306/

Mostly about the left's struggles after '88, the brutal self-awareness process the party had to have with itself. As Jared suggested, because most of America still identifies itself as conservative the party can easily turn it around. But i agree with the conclusion of the article i just linked: its going to take another loss before they get serious. At the moment, theyve written off last years results as "messaging mistakes" and "Obama is simply popular".
    Quote Quote  

10. -10
    Waterlogged

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    orlando
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rob19 View Post
    I think that's the direction they'd have to head in, but even most current Republicans can't get down with some of the true Libertarian values. For instance, as someone who's recently called himself a Libertarian, how do you feel about gay-marriage, the drug war, prostitution, gambling, & discriminatory laws like stop & frisk in NY, & the immigration laws in Arizona?
    I pretty much am in favor of all from a libertarian prospective (especially gay marriage and fake war on drugs)
    Quote Quote