Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 1 of 11 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Where in the New Testament....

1. -1
    Scout Team

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks

Where in the New Testament....

...does it say anything about gays ? I'm not gay. I was just wondering. I have read the whole New Testament, and I don't remember anything about it. (It has been a while since I read it all.) I know it mentions it in the Old Testament. Are we just going by the Old Testament on this topic ?

Why is it that people won't let their kids watch Harry Potter movies ? I've heard a few people say it is because of the witchcraft in the movies, but those same people get stumped when I ask them why it was okay for their kids to see The Wizard of Oz.

While we are at it, I have to mention a guy that I work with. He wouldn't go to Hooters because it "is a place of sin". <<His words. I asked him, "Who's sin ? Isn't that all based on the person ? If you go there with lustful thoughts, then it is your place of sin. If you go there for the hot wings, then it isn't. In that case, a beach, the mall, or anywhere else could serve in the same capacity. To a pedophile, a daycare could be a place of sin." He stopped arguing his point.

For the record, I feel that I am a Christian. I have a different understanding of the Bible than most, if not all of "Christians" I've encountered in my lifetime. Just looking for some conversation here. Let's not try to argue. That goes for the believers and the non-believers.
    Quote Quote  

2. -2
    Misery Loves Company

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Kentucky
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Rebel AllianceSuperman logoXbox LogoPlaystation LogoSnakes!
    Quote Originally Posted by myke1072 View Post
    ...does it say anything about gays ? I'm not gay. I was just wondering. I have read the whole New Testament, and I don't remember anything about it. (It has been a while since I read it all.) I know it mentions it in the Old Testament. Are we just going by the Old Testament on this topic ?

Why is it that people won't let their kids watch Harry Potter movies ? I've heard a few people say it is because of the witchcraft in the movies, but those same people get stumped when I ask them why it was okay for their kids to see The Wizard of Oz.

While we are at it, I have to mention a guy that I work with. He wouldn't go to Hooters because it "is a place of sin". <<His words. I asked him, "Who's sin ? Isn't that all based on the person ? If you go there with lustful thoughts, then it is your place of sin. If you go there for the hot wings, then it isn't. In that case, a beach, the mall, or anywhere else could serve in the same capacity. To a pedophile, a daycare could be a place of sin." He stopped arguing his point.

For the record, I feel that I am a Christian. I have a different understanding of the Bible than most, if not all of "Christians" I've encountered in my lifetime. Just looking for some conversation here. Let's not try to argue. That goes for the believers and the non-believers.
    I too consider myself a christian, but I don't look at somebody and think 'boy they should change thier ways or they'll go to hell.' In fact It isn't my place to judge it, and in the end that stuff is between them and God.
    "I didn't feel like we had to score," Tannehill said. "I had the mindset we were going to score."

Quote Quote  

3. -3
    Desert Dolphin

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Tucson, Arizona
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by myke1072 View Post

Jesus says

MT 15:19 " For out of the heart come evil thoughts, murders, adulteries, fornications, thefts, false witness, slanders.
    Fornications = any sex outside marriage.

MT 19:4 And He answered and said, "Have you not read that He who created them from the beginning MADE THEM MALE AND FEMALE,

MT 19:5 and said, ‘FOR THIS REASON A MAN SHALL LEAVE HIS FATHER AND MOTHER AND BE JOINED TO HIS WIFE, AND THE TWO SHALL BECOME ONE FLESH’?

MT 19:6 "So they are no longer two, but one flesh. What therefore God has joined together, let no man separate."
    Jesus defines marriage, actually upholding God's definition of marriage from the OT.

The OT clearly denounces homosexuality. Jesus not only confirmed the OT, he fulfilled it.

The Apostle Paul mentions homosexuality as well.
    1CO 6:9 Or do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived; neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor homosexuals,
    1CO 6:10 nor thieves, nor the covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers, will inherit the kingdom of God.

Players come and go, but I will always be a Miami Dolphins Fan first and foremost.

Quote Quote  

4. -4
    Gary Speed RIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    The Bible also says

Male and female created he them.
    Gensis 1. 27
    So if God created men and women does'nt it then mean God is responsible for creating homosexuals?
    Quote Quote  

5. -5
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Louisville, KY
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by emeraldfin View Post
    The Bible also says

So if God created men and women does'nt it then mean God is responsible for creating homosexuals?
    God created woman to be a companion to man, satisfying his carnal needs. What causes homosexuality, a spirit, physical or mental malfunction? I'm not sure. But the Bible makes it very clear in both testaments that he clearly meant for hetero to be his way.
    Nearly 70% of the Earth is covered by water...the rest is covered by Gerod Holliman.

Quote Quote  

6. -6
    Desert Dolphin

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Tucson, Arizona
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by emeraldfin View Post
    The Bible also says

No. God created Man with a brain that can reason and think and freely decide to obey or rebel against his creator. That rebellion manifests itself in many different shapes and form, including the act and practice of homosexuality.

No I am afraid it was Man's own invention. Created from boredom, lust, not enough women....I have no idea.
    Quote Quote  

7. -7
    Waterlogged

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Hot as hell, South Carolina
    Thanks / No Thanks
    The Harry Potter thing doesn't make much sense to me. I think it's just the fundamentalist that believe in stuff like that.

As far as the gay question. I vaguely remember a verse which lists a few things man shouldn't do. I mentions man shouldn't lay with another mans wife, man shouldn't lay with man, man shouldn't lay with animals. I can't remember if it's new or old testament.

The Hooters thing is also silly. I agree with your reasoning, sin can take place anywhere or nowhere, it all depends on the persons mind.
    Quote Quote  

8. -8
    Gary Speed RIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LouPhinFan View Post
    God created woman to be a companion to man, satisfying his carnal needs. What causes homosexuality, a spirit, physical or mental malfunction? I'm not sure. But the Bible makes it very clear in both testaments that he clearly meant for hetero to be his way.
    I dont think its as simple as that Lou Phin. Also I dont think its fair to say that homosexuality is a mental or physical malfunction. Its not as if these people are ill or sick. I dont know what its like to be homosexual but for some reason I dont think they can help being homosexual or have a choice in who they are. Now my question then is why is someone being punished for what they cant control?

Why is God punishing these people for something out of their control? Seems extremely immoral in my opinion
    Quote Quote  

9. -9
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    West Palm Beach
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I was talking about this the other day with my wife. We consider ourselves to be Christians and worship in our own ways. I've never been big on people telling us how to practice Chritianity. Morally I don't think being gay will get you into heaven because of what the Bible says. That being said I have gay friends who are really no different than me and you. Matter of fact one of our good friends has told us he has a tough time understanding why he is gay. He says he knew when he was young and said he wish he weren't but that he could not change who he is. I can't believe that God wouldn't let him in because he's gay because I don't think God works like that. It is a topic that has caused me to question the Bible. I have a hard time with that one.
    Quote Quote  

10. -10
    Desert Dolphin

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Tucson, Arizona
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I have heard this same argument against God and the bible before. If I am born gay, then why is God going to punish me for that? Instread of looking within themselves, they start to question the bible. Our society certainly doesn't help with that struggle.

I am not equating homosexuality to beastiality or pedophilia. They are completely different things in our world and society. Heck in the US we are on the verge of allowing same sex marriage. I don't see that for child molestors or animal lovers any time soon, if at all. So I am not equating them. But the bible does. Sin is sin is sin. A white lie carries the same weight as murder. So.....

Take the word gay out of the italicized sentence above and replace it with ...let's say......beastiality, or pedophilia, or promiscuity, or lying, or stealing, or........pick your immorality.

Now ask the same question. Why is God going to punish me for being a child molestor. I was born this way. Why is God going to punish me for being promiscuous? I was born this way. Why is God going to punish me for being a liar. I was born this way.

With this reasoning, everyone could do anything they were born with and still get into heaven. Somehow I just don't think God would agree.

We are all born with sin. Nonne of us are perfect.

Whether you believe you were born a certain way or not, the bottom line is God has defined the rules already. He knows we are all sinners, even on the smallest of scale. A Gay person isn't a sinner because of his homosexuality. He could be straight tomorrow and still be a sinner. His gayness doesn't make him a sinner all by itself.

That is why we all need Jesus. Jesus allows us to escape from that sin without paying the price for that sin. It's a free get out of hell card. It really is a good deal. It is the best deal ever given to mankind.

For those who don't know Jesus in a personal way - take the deal!
    Quote Quote