Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Who knew? Wii is number 1?

1. -11
    They looked like strong hands.

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Albuquerque, NM
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Nintendo gambled and won on the Wii, first time in a long time its done that. Their last few gambles have failed miserably. This one, however, has brought in a different demographic of gamers. PS3 and 360 cater to the same group as all the previous consoles. I read an article stating that nursing homes and retirement communities buy these to keep their senior citizens active without them having to go outside. Middle-aged women are also a decent size consumer group for these as well. Whoever the marketers for Nintendo are, they earned the hell out of their paycheck this time..

If I could take your pain and frame it, and hang it on my wall,
    maybe you would never have to hurt again...

Quote Quote  

2. -12
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    VA
    Thanks / No Thanks
    i think the wii is some garbage. an enhanced gamecube with wireless controllers, and a novel interface. i will give them credit, as they doop the masses into buying this garbage, while theyre secretly palnning a direct competitior with microsoft and sony in the next generation. its great for kids, i will give you that, but if you have testicles, this better not be your "go to" interactive entertainment device. wii music? f'ing give eme a break-
    Quote Quote  

3. -13
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    South Dakota
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Locke View Post
    Nintendo gambled and won on the Wii, first time in a long time its done that. Their last few gambles have failed miserably. This one, however, has brought in a different demographic of gamers. PS3 and 360 cater to the same group as all the previous consoles. I read an article stating that nursing homes and retirement communities buy these to keep their senior citizens active without them having to go outside. Middle-aged women are also a decent size consumer group for these as well. Whoever the marketers for Nintendo are, they earned the hell out of their paycheck this time..
    Yep, I saw that article as well. And they definitely target older audiences with the DS as well....with games like Brain Age and other puzzle games.

WildBill3, as far as the sales figures go: The Wii has been leading for quite some time. A year ago there were shortages everywhere, people just couldn't find them. What a lot of people fail to realize though is that the console is a one time purchase. These companies make alot of the games they sell too. This is where Wii has seriously lacked. I don't remember the exact #'s, but I remember seeing that Wii owners only have 1-3 games or so compared to 6+ for the other systems.

I still don't really consider Nintendo a threat. The real battle is between PS3 and 360. For awhile 360 was the clear winner because PS3 just wasn't getting as many titles. Developers are getting more familiar with the PS3 engine though and it is way better than the 360.

Dreamcast used to be considered the winner in the early stages of it's battle until developers realized what the playstation could do. Ask Sega how it turned out.
    Quote Quote  

4. -14
    Go Gators Come On Gators Get Up And Go!!

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Binghamton, NY
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MiggeMadness View Post
    Yep, I saw that article as well. And they definitely target older audiences with the DS as well....with games like Brain Age and other puzzle games.

WildBill3, as far as the sales figures go: The Wii has been leading for quite some time. A year ago there were shortages everywhere, people just couldn't find them. What a lot of people fail to realize though is that the console is a one time purchase. These companies make alot of the games they sell too. This is where Wii has seriously lacked. I don't remember the exact #'s, but I remember seeing that Wii owners only have 1-3 games or so compared to 6+ for the other systems.

I still don't really consider Nintendo a threat. The real battle is between PS3 and 360. For awhile 360 was the clear winner because PS3 just wasn't getting as many titles. Developers are getting more familiar with the PS3 engine though and it is way better than the 360.

Dreamcast used to be considered the winner in the early stages of it's battle until developers realized what the playstation could do. Ask Sega how it turned out.
    Plus developers are now making games on the PS3 1st and then porting them over to the 360, which makes more sense. So now the multiplatform games on the PS3 won't be made worse because they were ported over from a lesser system as far as hardware.
    Quote Quote  

5. -15
    Finheaven Hall of Shame

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Hotel California
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Crazy sight to see that Nintendo is back on top of the Video Gaming world.
    Quote Quote