i've seen some messed up movies in my day - not including horror flicks. just wanted to see what kind of cracked out movies you guys have seen so i can add to my psychosis.
1. gummo - from the delightful mind of the guy that brought us kids. without a doubt the most disturbing movie ever made. this movie is basically a redneck version of kids. it includes delinquents putting shards of glass in cat food to kill strays for chinese restaurants and pimping out their ******** sister to neighborhood kids. viewer beware.
2. very bad things - this movie goes from zero to stressful in a hurry. about a group of guys that accidentally kill an escort at a bachelor party and their attempts to cover it up. great cast and definitely worth checking out.
3. trainspotting - this was ewan macgregor's break out flick. heroin is the best way to explain the plot. the scene with the baby crawling on the roof and spinning his head around gave me nightmares - which is not an easy thing to do.
4. kids - this movie freaked out parents everywhere. i did not necessarily like this movie and was deeply offended by it - so it did its job. this is probably the only movie on this list that i wouldn't recommend.
5. fear and loathing in las vegas - based on hunter s thompson's classic book about a drugged out writer and his lawyer in vegas. i saw this movie in the theater my junior year of high school sober as a priest - and somehow i was stoned at the end without the aid of any drugs. so many great scenes in this movie - depp and del toro were fantastic.
6. requiem for a dream - another heroin movie that is almost as disturbing as trainspotting. the bizarre cast of leto, wayans, and connelly as drug addicts and how convincing they were added to how extra disturbing this movie was. i will never forget the scene with ellen burstyn freaking out in her apartment on diet pills.
7. a clockwork orange - kubrick's original masterpiece about an english thug and his comeuppance. this is a movie you have to see before you die - it's a classic.
8. american history x - this is in my top 20 favorites - it's about neo nazis in venice beach. norton became one of my favorite actors after i saw it. do not watch the curb stomping scene if you are squeamish.
9. full metal jacket - there are so many disturbing war movies i figured one needed to be on the list. war is fun.
10. willy wonka and the chocolate factory - this is one of those movies that you see later in life and you realize that - having watched it many times as a child - you never really had a chance to be normal. i will never understand how it is considered a kid's movie.
i didn't include horror (freaks, henry: portrait of a serial killer, the last house on the left) or horror-esque movies (natural born killers, american psycho) because there are just too many to list.
i also didn't put jesus camp on the list because no one should see that movie under any circumstances. ever.