Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: COMMENTARY: The Rivalry

1. -1
    Are you a VIP?

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    South Florida
    Thanks / No Thanks

COMMENTARY: The Rivalry

Read the latest FinHeaven commentary at:

THE RIVALRY
    http://www.finheaven.com

And tell us what you think!
    Quote Quote  

2. -2
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    man i think i just shed a tear
    Quote Quote  

3. -3
    Desert Dolphin

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Tucson, Arizona
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Good write-up Matt.

Win or lose this team has made me proud of them again. Even if they go 10-6 you can say this has been a great year for a 1-15 team.

I am very confident in this team going into NJ and winning. And if they do and win the division and get into the playoffs, I don't care how well they do after that. I mean of course I want them to win, but in reality there are far better teams in the playoffs that could end our season in a heartbeat, and I am ok with that - as long as it isn't the Jests!

Players come and go, but I will always be a Miami Dolphins Fan first and foremost.

Quote Quote  

4. -4
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Yup, nice write up Matt!

I am in agreement that regardless of if we win, lose, or draw Sunday. As long as they show up to play, mark this season up as a sucess. Up until now I catogrized this season as satisfactory and exceeding of expectations. For us to be relivant in the final game of the regular season and in control of out own outcome makes this season a sucess in my book. What our Dolphins have acomplished this season is what expectat of them as a fan. I dont ask them to win the superbowl every year, but I do expect them to provide me with a competive season to cheer about. I did not expect that from them this season, but that is exactly what they gave me.

Back in the days of shula and Marino I use to half joke that being a Dolphin fan meant you had to be OK with being 2nd best. It seemed like back then we had a history of getting to the championship but coming up short on winning it all, more then any other team. Of course I would of preferred to actually of brought home a few of those Lombardi's, but hey at least we were there to get a shot at it. To me those were sucessfull seasons. I was content to get the shots we had gotten. It has been so long time coming since we sniffed the playoffs. It's become a faded distant memory for alot of us. It really feels like we are back again. It feels really good too.

What the trifecta has accomplished here is nothing short of astonishing. This is just the begining too. We are only one off season removed from a 1-15 season. We are going places. A little more work in the draft and possibly some key FA acquistions and we are going to be back to the stature we once held around the leauge. I am litterally gushing with enthusiasim over my team once again.

"When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it."
    Frederic Bastiat
    Quote Quote  

5. -5
    Perennial All-Pro

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    N.W. GA.
    Thanks / No Thanks
    OUTSTANDING write up Matt...i actually got choked up reading that,and yes,it did bring a tear to my eyes...this season has been nothing short of miraculous,and being a life long Dolphins fan,i have enjoyed this season tremendously,and i look forward to a very bright future for our beloved Miami Dolphins...with that being said....GOOOOOO DOLPHINSSSSS...BEAT THOSE NEW YORK JETS!!!!!!!!!!!
    Quote Quote  

6. -6
    DIEHARD DOLPHIN

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Miami
    Thanks / No Thanks

Great!

Quote Originally Posted by fin-atic View Post
    Read the latest FinHeaven commentary at:

THE RIVALRY
    http://www.finheaven.com

And tell us what you think!
    I've been reading the blogs and posts here for years and years and I've NEVER read anything written about the Dolphins that's EVER said it better or more eloquently.

Brilliant, just brilliant.

My blood BURNS for my Dolphins and I know that some time around 4:00 AM Saturday, when all of my useless attempts to fall asleep come up short, I know that simply re-reading this article will keep me focused on the right things for that Sunday's game!

Win or lose, the Phins are ALL READY winners! Pennington is the MVP and Sporano the coach of the year, there can be no doubt.

This team has heart, and because of it, has recaptured mine. I never left them, but they've "come back" to us.

I will be cheering my a$$ off on Sunday and doing the one thing I haven't been able to do in many, many years...

This Sunday.... I'm going to BELIEVE.

BELIEVE!!!!!!!

GO PHINS!!! BEAT THE DAMN JETS INTO THE GROUND!!!!

GO PHINS!!!!!!

Quote Quote  

7. -7
    Stuck in Jetsville

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    New York
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Nice writeup, although I do think that at least at field level there's probably more bad blood in a Fins-Pats game right now than a Fins-Jets one.

The only way this game could be better is if the Jets had won last week, making it the no-question, no-excuses showdown for the AFC East. But the Jets screwed that up, as is their habit. Even if you aren't a fan, the Jets manage to disappoint you.
    Quote Quote  

8. -8
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    la la land
    Thanks / No Thanks
    perfectly written.
    Quote Quote  

9. -9
    Dolphin Fan since 1974

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Queens, NY
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Every word a gem. Thanks for crystallizing our feelings so eloquently.

Michael
    Quote Quote  

10. -10
    Rookie

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Nutley NJ
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Matt - great article, thanks. So many great points to get us even more pumped for Sunday. I just have one disagreement and it's more a generalization based on what seems like the overriding sentiment in some of the posts than it is picking out one sentence...Again, great job but I just want to throw this out there.

In my opinion, the idea that we having nothing to lose could not be farther from the truth. I just don't get how some of us can truly believe that. We all understand how AMAZING and unlikely this year has been and what we've been through the last few years, last year especially makes us all overly grateful. Heck, my life has been so much better this fall and winter - it feels so good to be playing meaningful games and have that anticipation all week we haven't felt in so long. I have been saying my own thank you to the team and Coach Sparano and the staff/FO with each passing week. I can go on and on about this season forever and everyone here can relate. But now is not the time for that. We can all reflect a week or so after this thing ends.

I believe we have PLENTY to lose. We are not here for second place. This is the type of game that contributes to changing the of a franchise and something that is there to be had and must be taken advantage of. Understanding how great the season has been, if it ends Sunday I will be as miserable as I was for the few weeks after the Pats debacle 6 years ago. If there was nothing to lose, then why will half of us be watching the game nervous as we've been for any other game we have watched? Why cannot we not concentrate on anything this week for any amount of time before our mind shifts to Sunday?

This season will forever be one of the most memorable one's we will ever have. Even so, I can't help thinking that if we lose it is what I will immediately think of every time we are mentioned in the media as one of the greatest one year turnarounds ever.

As an analogy - I am Yankees fan and every time I see the two unbelievable endings in the DBacks series in 2001 I get chills, especially when I see Brosius immediately throw up his arms after he makes contact. But inevitably, my thoughts turn to the 9th inning of game 7 and it kinda sucks.

I can't bear the thought of the Jets ending this, itmakes me sick. Let's go get this game and then see what happens in the playoffs. Then we can reflect and praise and enjoy what's going to be a fun and optimistic off-season.
    Quote Quote