Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: What were former Dolphins greats like? Historical Dolphins Info Wanted.

Hybrid View

1. -1
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Calgary, Canada
    Thanks / No Thanks

What were former Dolphins greats like? Historical Dolphins Info Wanted.

A question to all of you blessed with watching the No Name defense of the 70's or the Killer B's and Mark's Brothers of the early 80s. It is kind of an odd request but seeing as how hard it is to find info on these players can you help me out. I started watching in the 90s and missed out on all of these players.

What were they like? Share your memories, thoughts and opinions. I have a lot of questions and I wish America's game would run more footage of them.

If you don't want to go in depth just comment on their most important attributes and who you would best compare them to in the NFL today.

QB's
    - Griese
    - Earl Morrall

RB's
    - Csonka
    - Morris
    - Kiick
    - Nathan
    How did the 72 Dolphins run their offense with Csonka. Did he always play FB with Kiick and Morris rotating at HB? Was it primarily the I Form? Was Csonka a good run blocker?

WR's
    - Nat Moore
    - Mark Clayton
    - Mark Duper

RT
    - Norm Evans
    LG
    - Bob Keuchenberg
    Both of these guys were not the biggest. Were they strong none the less? Hall of fame worthy? Pass blockers or run blockers or excellent at both? Were they leaders at all or perform best when it counted?

DE
    - Bill Stanfill
    - Doug Betters
    - Kim Bokamper
    - Bob Matheson
    I am always surprised to hear such accolades for Stanfill and to find out Betters was a DPOY. How good were these guys? What kind of pass rushers were they? Did they have any sort of special moves think Reggie with the Club or Freeney with the Spin or Taylor with the Swim. Were they effective against the run? Anyone know how many sacks they actually have (before sacks became an official stat)?

DT
    - Bob Baumhauer
    - Manny Fernandez
    How were two guys so undersized so dominant. Which one was better? Baumhauer seemed to put up the numbers but I read Fernandez got 17 tackles in a Superbowl game. An incredible accomplishment let alone done while playing NT.

ILB
    - A.J. Duhe
    Part of the problem is the lack of sack stats or for that matter tackles. Was this guy fast? A pass rusher? Tough? A leader? He is quite well known and yet I haven't a clue as to how he played.

Safeties
    - Jake Scott (Hall of fame worthy?)
    - Lyle Blackwood
    - Glenn Blackwood
    Did the Blackwoods play CB at all?

How did the 53 defense differ from the 3-4. Did they only use it on passing downs?

What sort of defense did the Killer B's run?

For those like me NFL.com has video of some players on their website if they appeared in NFL Films footage.

Thanks in advance.
    Quote Quote  

2. -2
    FinHeaven Elite

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Miami
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Dude go to ebay and did what I did. I started collecting videos of the Miami Dolphin Seasons. You will get all your questions answered.

Guys like Griese Morrall, Czonka, Kick, Morris, Warfield, Fernandez and Anderson and Scott were the real deal. Just bu as many videos as you can watch them and you will get the much wanted answers. Wikipedia is also a good place to research for former Phins.
    Follow me at www.twitter.com/robi2184, always updating Dolfans with the latest Miami Dolphins news.

Zach Thomas: I played against New England twice a year every year my whole career. I learned to not like that team. I wasn't going to join them.
    Quote Quote  

3. -3
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Calgary, Canada
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by FinAtic8480 View Post
    Dude go to ebay and did what I did. I started collecting videos of the Miami Dolphin Seasons. You will get all your questions answered.

Guys like Griese Morrall, Czonka, Kick, Morris, Warfield, Fernandez and Anderson and Scott were the real deal. Just bu as many videos as you can watch them and you will get the much wanted answers. Wikipedia is also a good place to research for former Phins.
    Problem is I can only find 90s videos. For some reason the early 80s is especially tough to find footage on.
    Quote Quote  

4. -4
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Las Vegas
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Stick to the '70s specifically early to mid '70s. That's my ultimate advice. Too many Miami fans want to blend the Dolphins of the early to mid '80s into the discussion but those teams were comparative mush.

Agreed, it's incomparably frustrating that videos of the glory era are not readily available. Extremely difficult to acquire, or get a full feel for what that team was like. Luckily I have a great memory so I can picture all the key plays and games, when Miami was captivated by a sports team unlike anything before or since, but I can understand how it must be vague and elusive to a younger fan.

Incredibly resourceful team with ultra dedicated players. After a loss the WIOD radio coverage would be stunned deflated silence, players in no mood to speak. A wandering goofball like today's Channing Crowder would have been jettisoned on the first day of camp, no place for him.

Will McDonough of the Boston Globe always said it was the smartest team in NFL history. That's an excellent base summary. Scott and Anderson were not only great safeties who communicated openly throughout the game, but they were the two dual punt returners, a practice that I'm amazed has been discontinued in the league, or football in general. Anderson was the kamikaze up man who refused to let the punt drop to the cement Poly Turf. He'd gobble up every short punt to prevent the 20 yard roll. Miami got great field position so many times due to that strategy. Scott was the cool customer deep man. He was very dangerous, particularly in his early years as a returner. I remember a circling TD return in the great 34-17 home win over Baltimore in 1970. That was the first major Orange Bowl eruption of the love affair with the newly competitive Dolphins.

Similarly, Miami was very resourceful on blocking place kicks. Lloyd Mumphord was the outside rusher, flanked inside by Curtis Johnson. If the opponent overplayed Johnson on the inside it gave Mumphord a free dash around the corner. Just the opposite if the flank blocker picked up Mumphord. In that case, Johnson would sneak inside.

Scott also advised Shula to surrender the safety late in the famous 30-26 win over Pittsburgh on Monday Night in '73, a move that no one saw coming, including Cosell and the ABC booth. Giving up that safety is somewhat common today but at the time it was very, very rare, and never discussed.

I haven't seen anything in 25+ years that even threatened the smarts and advantage positioning of that early '70s team. That's why it's so frustrating and laughable when I see the Marino era heralded, here or elsewhere. I've got to shake my head and try not to post in disgust. A guy who was too bothered to play fake, a masochistically low number of rushing attempts every year, and we want to claim it was the heyday of Dolphin football. Believe whatever you want.

Keuchenberg is Hall of Fame worthy but he played in a great era for offensive lineman and routinely was described as no better than 3rd best lineman on his own team. The two guys were who terrific, and Hall of Fame caliber if not for serious injuries shortening their careers, were Bill Stanfill and Dick Anderson.
    Quote Quote  

5. -5
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    LAKEWOOD, CO
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Awsi Dooger View Post
    Keuchenberg is Hall of Fame worthy but he played in a great era for offensive lineman and routinely was described as no better than 3rd best lineman on his own team. The two guys were who terrific, and Hall of Fame caliber if not for serious injuries shortening their careers, were Bill Stanfill and Dick Anderson.
    Could not agree more about Stanfill and Anderson. Had the "No-Name" moniker not been applied to that defense they would have been the names. Buonticonti said that he was in the Hall as a representative of the whole Defense, and to an extent I think that is true. However both of these players along with Jake Scott and Manny Fernandez were probably better players than Nick, and I think he would be the first to admit it. I have always hated the No-Name stuff because I really think these guys were every bit as good as the Steelers defensive players that followed and don't get their individual due because of it. If not for shortened careers there is no doubt in my mind that Anderson was better than a Mel Blount and Stanfill was better than a L.C. Greenwood for example.
    Quote Quote  

6. -6
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Miami
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DENVERDOLFAN View Post
    Could not agree more about Stanfill and Anderson. Had the "No-Name" moniker not been applied to that defense they would have been the names. Buonticonti said that he was in the Hall as a representative of the whole Defense, and to an extent I think that is true. However both of these players along with Jake Scott and Manny Fernandez were probably better players than Nick, and I think he would be the first to admit it. I have always hated the No-Name stuff because I really think these guys were every bit as good as the Steelers defensive players that followed and don't get their individual due because of it. If not for shortened careers there is no doubt in my mind that Anderson was better than a Mel Blount and Stanfill was better than a L.C. Greenwood for example.
    The no name is actually a great name. That defense was made up of mostly cast off players from other teams and more importantly it represents the teamwork they played with. Enjoy the name, they, the players, do.
    Quote Quote  

7. -7
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Calgary, Canada
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DENVERDOLFAN View Post
    I read a good quote from Jim Otto I believe. Something to the tune of:

upon finding out that Stanfill, Buoniconti and Anderson were questionable for a game he replied..."good, at least we can start calling them the no-name defense again."
    Quote Quote  

8. -8
    Moon Runner / The 3 AM Crew

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Manny Fernandez was one of my favorite Phins ever. He seemed to be a guy who really loved life. He use to ride those hovercrafts out in the swamps and go after alligators. They said his eyesight was really bad but he always seemed to be around the football.....kind of like a bigger version of Zach Thomas. I saw a story about him that on the morning of one of the big games, I can't remember if it was a Superbowl or an AFC Championship Game, but his girlfriend was a flight attendant, and a plane crashed in Florida that morning and Manny thought his girlfriend was on the plane. He didn't find out until later that she was working another flight. Manny had a wild haired afro but today he is totally bald and wears glasses. He truely played for the love of the game and hated to lose. I would put him right up there with Nick Buonoconti.
    Quote Quote  

9. -9
    Sheffield Fin

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Sheffield UK
    Thanks / No Thanks
    when will bob kuechenburg make it to the HOF?

Little and Langer are there. it's a disgrace that Kooch isn't...
    Elliott Josypenko:

Sheffield Sabres (UK) - #75 LT 2005-2010

Quote Quote  

10. -10
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I've been watching Dolphins games since the early seventies too,and while I think the early seventies teams are the best overall,you can't say the early eighty's teams were mush. Don Strock,Bob Buamhower,Tony Nathan,Don Mcneal,Dwight Stevenson just to name a few and don't forget two Super Bowl appearances in three years,the early eighties were a great time to be a Dolphins fan.

I agree with the poster that said to get all the video you can, good luck!!
    Quote Quote