Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What were former Dolphins greats like? Historical Dolphins Info Wanted.

1. -11
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    LAKEWOOD, CO
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Awsi Dooger View Post
    Keuchenberg is Hall of Fame worthy but he played in a great era for offensive lineman and routinely was described as no better than 3rd best lineman on his own team. The two guys were who terrific, and Hall of Fame caliber if not for serious injuries shortening their careers, were Bill Stanfill and Dick Anderson.
    Could not agree more about Stanfill and Anderson. Had the "No-Name" moniker not been applied to that defense they would have been the names. Buonticonti said that he was in the Hall as a representative of the whole Defense, and to an extent I think that is true. However both of these players along with Jake Scott and Manny Fernandez were probably better players than Nick, and I think he would be the first to admit it. I have always hated the No-Name stuff because I really think these guys were every bit as good as the Steelers defensive players that followed and don't get their individual due because of it. If not for shortened careers there is no doubt in my mind that Anderson was better than a Mel Blount and Stanfill was better than a L.C. Greenwood for example.
    Quote Quote  

2. -12
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Miami
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DENVERDOLFAN View Post
    Could not agree more about Stanfill and Anderson. Had the "No-Name" moniker not been applied to that defense they would have been the names. Buonticonti said that he was in the Hall as a representative of the whole Defense, and to an extent I think that is true. However both of these players along with Jake Scott and Manny Fernandez were probably better players than Nick, and I think he would be the first to admit it. I have always hated the No-Name stuff because I really think these guys were every bit as good as the Steelers defensive players that followed and don't get their individual due because of it. If not for shortened careers there is no doubt in my mind that Anderson was better than a Mel Blount and Stanfill was better than a L.C. Greenwood for example.
    The no name is actually a great name. That defense was made up of mostly cast off players from other teams and more importantly it represents the teamwork they played with. Enjoy the name, they, the players, do.
    Quote Quote  

3. -13
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    LAKEWOOD, CO
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by hemidemon View Post
    The no name is actually a great name. That defense was made up of mostly cast off players from other teams and more importantly it represents the teamwork they played with. Enjoy the name, they, the players, do.
    While I understand the players liked it, I don't. Also they were not mostly castoffs from other teams.

Stanfill - Drafted: 1969 first round, by Miami
    Fernandez - 1968 College free agent
    Den Herder - Drafted: 1971 ninth round, by Miami
    Heinz - Drafted: 1969 second round, by Miami
    Swift - 1970 free agent (CFL)
    Matheson - 1971 trade with Browns for second-round draft choice
    Kolen - Drafted: 1970 twelfth round, by Miami
    Ball - Drafted: 1972 fourth round, by Miami
    Buoniconti - 1969 trade w/ Patriots for QB Kim Hammond and LB John Bramlett
    Johnson - Drafted: 1970 fourth round, by Miami
    Mumphord - Drafted: 1969 sixteenth round, by Miami
    Foley - Drafted: 1970 third round, by Miami
    Scott - Drafted: 1970 seventh round, by Miami
    Anderson - Drafted: 1968 third round, by Miami

So Matheson and Buoniconti were the only players from other teams.
    Quote Quote  

4. -14
    Perennial All-Pro

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    N.W. GA.
    Thanks / No Thanks
    ohhh mannn,i would LOVE..i mean ABSOLUTELY LOVE to have a 21st century version of the 1970's Dolphins...i would be ecstatic and cry tears of joy and happiness if we ever get that again...
    Quote Quote  

5. -15
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Calgary, Canada
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DENVERDOLFAN View Post
    I read a good quote from Jim Otto I believe. Something to the tune of:

upon finding out that Stanfill, Buoniconti and Anderson were questionable for a game he replied..."good, at least we can start calling them the no-name defense again."
    Quote Quote  

6. -16
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Calgary, Canada
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dolfanmark View Post
    The Killer B's ran a 3-4. It was Bokamper-Baumhower-Betters across the front. Bob Brudzinski was the big run stuffing LB on the strong side, with AJ Duhe next to him, tackling machine Earnie Rhone next to him, and the dynamic Larry Gordon on the weakside. Gordon tragically died of a heart attack at age 29. Don McNeal and Gerald Small were both very good corners, especially McNeal. McNeal had a world of talent and was taking his place among the game's elite when injuries ruined his career. And of course, the Bruise Brothers at safety.
    Thanks for the in depth stuff. Great post.

How did we have 3 guys as small as Bokamper Baumhower and Betters up front. I realize the game is different now but not one of those guys was over 260.
    Quote Quote  

7. -17
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Miami
    Thanks / No Thanks
    You're right Denverdolfan. I stand corrected. The name was actually given to them by Dallas coach Tom Landry before Super Bowl 6. He was asked what he thought about the Dolphins defense. The first thing he said was, "Well I can't remember any of thier names..." The Dolphins lost, but the no name defense was born.
    Quote Quote  

8. -18
    Starting to hear voices

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Ft. Lauderdale
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Morris was unreal, and Clayton got EVERY jump ball.
    JMB
    Quote Quote  

9. -19
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    CENTRAL FLORIDA
    Thanks / No Thanks

early dolphins

I am on NFLFILMS.com and was looking on the website.
    I will try to be exact
    go to NFLFILMS.COM
    On the front page click on "special order catalog"
    the next page should have a left hand column and second from the top is "recent catalog additions" click on that
    then click on the Dolphin logo ( second from left)
    It then lists Tape ID's and the years from 1966 forward. i don't know what these tapes have but this is the company that owns them so i would follow this.
    none of the others have a price but
    the last one is very interesting :
    “The Legacy Begins”
    COUNTS AS TWO TAPES - $100
    A compilation tape consisting of the complete season highlights for the years 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, and 1974.
    Tape ID: 04868 & 04869
    72:00 & 56:00 minutes

I hope this helps--it's tough to describe the early dolphins--they truly were the definition of " a picture is worth a thousand words".
    Quote Quote  

10. -20
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Calgary, Canada
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by shadpop View Post
    I am on NFLFILMS.com and was looking on the website.
    I will try to be exact
    go to NFLFILMS.COM
    On the front page click on "special order catalog"
    the next page should have a left hand column and second from the top is "recent catalog additions" click on that
    then click on the Dolphin logo ( second from left)
    It then lists Tape ID's and the years from 1966 forward. i don't know what these tapes have but this is the company that owns them so i would follow this.
    none of the others have a price but
    the last one is very interesting :
    “The Legacy Begins”
    COUNTS AS TWO TAPES - $100
    A compilation tape consisting of the complete season highlights for the years 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, and 1974.
    Tape ID: 04868 & 04869
    72:00 & 56:00 minutes

I hope this helps--it's tough to describe the early dolphins--they truly were the definition of " a picture is worth a thousand words".
    What is a "TAPE?"

I will have to check this out.
    Quote Quote