Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now

Thread: Satirical Recommendations

1. -1
    Waterlogged

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Hot as hell, South Carolina
    Thanks / No Thanks

Satirical Recommendations

I was hoping you guys would recommend me your favorite satire movies? I just recently saw Dr. Strangelove... and Thank You For Smoking and I loved both of them. The Coens have made a few great satires and I love M.A.S.H., Network, Brazil, This is Spinal Tap, etc.
    Quote Quote  

2. -2
    2008 AFC East Champions

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Strangelove and Thank You... were great. Many of Charlie Chaplin's films were clever and hilarious satire of his generation's woes ( totalitarianism, industrialization, poverty, etc.). Gold Rush, Modern Times and The Great Dictator stand out. Duck Soup was a funny slapstick and absurd movie that mocks militarism and totalitarianism. It featured the Marx Brothers.

Although I'm not a fan of his later films,a lot of Woody Allen's films have a satirical bend to them. Shadows and Fog (film noir/1930s Europe)), Zelig (history) and Sleeper(future, futuristic scifi) were all smart and funny, reminicsent of his great stand-up schtick.
    Quote Quote  

3. -3
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ih8brady View Post
    Although I'm not a fan of his later films,a lot of Woody Allen's films have a satirical bend to them.
    A lot of them have been average lately, but surely you liked Vicky Cristina Barcelona?
    Quote Quote  

4. -4
    2008 AFC East Champions

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I haven't seen it yet, in fact I never heard of it until a few days ago when I overheard someone mention it about the Golden Globes. Is it a satire or romantic comedy? Annie Hall is still one of the funniest films I've ever seen, a very high bar set there in that category of romantic comedy.
    Quote Quote  

5. -5
    Waterlogged

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Hot as hell, South Carolina
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Strangelove and Thank You... were great. Many of Charlie Chaplin's films were clever and hilarious satire of his generation's woes ( totalitarianism, industrialization, poverty, etc.). Gold Rush, Modern Times and The Great Dictator stand out. Duck Soup was a funny slapstick and absurd movie that mocks militarism and totalitarianism. It featured the Marx Brothers.

Although I'm not a fan of his later films,a lot of Woody Allen's films have a satirical bend to them. Shadows and Fog (film noir/1930s Europe)), Zelig (history) and Sleeper(future, futuristic scifi) were all smart and funny, reminicsent of his great stand-up schtick.
    Thanks. I have the Great Dictator in my queue. I'm trying to find Duck Soup. I was watching Bill Moyers last week and he talked about how the movie pertains to our current times in a lot of ways. I had never heard of it before then. He played a few clips of the movie and it cracked me up. I'll check out the others that you mentioned.
    Quote Quote  

6. -6
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I haven't seen it yet, in fact I never heard of it until a few days ago when I overheard someone mention it about the Golden Globes. Is it a satire or romantic comedy? Annie Hall is still one of the funniest films I've ever seen, a very high bar set there in that category of romantic comedy.
    Well, it is about romance, but the term romantic comedy does not do it justice. It is a comedy about love, basically. Javier Bardem and Penelope Cruz are great in it.
    Quote Quote