Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now

Thread: Bush's war on AIDS

1. -1
    Misery Loves Company

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Kentucky
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Rebel AllianceSuperman logoXbox LogoPlaystation LogoSnakes!

Bush's war on AIDS

CAPE TOWN, South Africa - In her AIDS-scarred South African township, Sweetness Mzolisa leads a chorus of praise for George W. Bush that echoes to the deserts of Namibia, the hills of Rwanda and the villages of Ethiopia.
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/28605888
    "I didn't feel like we had to score," Tannehill said. "I had the mindset we were going to score."

Quote Quote  

2. -2
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    One of the bright spots of his Presidency. But the problem is going to take much more to solve. And I am not just talking about money spent on treatment, but responsibility by the people and their governments in trying to stop the spread.
    Quote Quote  

3. -3
    Defender of the Truth

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    The most effective tool against the spreading of HIV/AIDS is in education, not just at the primary and secondary school level, but the community level as well. I remember reading somewhere that it is a held belief in many African nations that a man infected with HIV/AIDS can cure the illness by having sex with a virgin. With the many in the adult population believing this, the pandemic of HIV and full blown AIDS will continue on the African continent.

The sad thing however is that with the unchecked violence and civil war in many of these poverty stricken nations, agencies such as the World Health Organization, the Red Cross and others will be unable to do anything to help curb the spread of HIV/AIDS.

I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.
    -Winston Churchill

All things being equal, when you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.
    -Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
    Quote Quote  

4. -4
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Dark_Knight View Post
    The most effective tool against the spreading of HIV/AIDS is in education, not just at the primary and secondary school level, but the community level as well. I remember reading somewhere that it is a held belief in many African nations that a man infected with HIV/AIDS can cure the illness by having sex with a virgin. With the many in the adult population believing this, the pandemic of HIV and full blown AIDS will continue on the African continent.

The sad thing however is that with the unchecked violence and civil war in many of these poverty stricken nations, agencies such as the World Health Organization, the Red Cross and others will be unable to do anything to help curb the spread of HIV/AIDS.
    The way that STD's continue to exist in the Western world despite all the knowledge we have really does not bode well for a continent in such disarray.

I have heard the one about having sex with a virgin, and I am sure there are plenty more. There really is no realistic answer to help stop the spread until they stop overthrowing their governments every other year.
    Quote Quote  

5. -5
    Defender of the Truth

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by WaywardZest View Post
    The way that STD's continue to exist in the Western world despite all the knowledge we have really does not bode well for a continent in such disarray.

I have heard the one about having sex with a virgin, and I am sure there are plenty more. There really is no realistic answer to help stop the spread until they stop overthrowing their governments every other year.
    I would argue the reason STD's continue to exsist in the western world is due to indifference...there is a treatment for anything, so what's there to worry about? Now, that attitude and apathy will probably cause a spark in our own rise in reported cases of HIV/AIDS, but I would suggest that once it sparks again, people will "remember' and start taking precautionary measures again. Not just that, but we Americans suffer from short term memory loss...if it's not an issue TODAY, then it's not an issue at all.

As for what I perceive as your dismissal in providing education, I say...you got to start somewhere. If you don't know, that's one thing...if you know and you do it anyhow, that's another. An effort SHOULD be made to at least educate the people of these nations so at least they KNOW. What they do after that...well, at least you can't say you didn't at least try.
    Quote Quote  

6. -6
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Dark_Knight View Post
    As for what I perceive as your dismissal in providing education, I say...you got to start somewhere. If you don't know, that's one thing...if you know and you do it anyhow, that's another. An effort SHOULD be made to at least educate the people of these nations so at least they KNOW. What they do after that...well, at least you can't say you didn't at least try.
    I didn't mean that at all. Education is the ultimate way to stop it. It is just hard when there is upheaval all the time and kids are carrying semi-automatic weapons. I don't have any statistics, but the African countries with stable governments surely have a lower rate than those with chaos around.
    Quote Quote  

7. -7
    Defender of the Truth

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I didn't mean that at all. Education is the ultimate way to stop it. It is just hard when there is upheaval all the time and kids are carrying semi-automatic weapons. I don't have any statistics, but the African countries with stable governments surely have a lower rate than those with chaos around.
    Oh ok!!! We're in agreeance then

I'll offer my opinion of Nigeria when I get back around the 31st. I've given it on Afghanistan and Iraq...might as well do the same with Nigeria as well!
    Quote Quote  

8. -8
    Perennial All-Pro

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Carolina
    Thanks / No Thanks
    They don't. The worst effected country is richest and most stable. Hopefully someday they'll be held responsible.....more have died because of their inaction than in the Rwandan genocide. And you still have government ministers claiming that drugs being shipped in are poisonous and garlic is the ultimate cure.
    Quote Quote