Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now

Thread: The New Politics: Barack Obama, Party of One

1. -1
    FinHeaven Elite

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Huntsville, AL
    Thanks / No Thanks

The New Politics: Barack Obama, Party of One

Without entirely realizing it, America elected its first Independent president. The implications for how the country will be governed are profound, exhilarating, and loaded with risk.
    http://nymag.com/news/features/all-new/53380/
    Quote Quote  

2. -2
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    One thing a lot of people haven't looked at is how important it is to have a post-Vietnam President. Sure, neither Clinton nor Bush served, but they came from that time. McCain would have had the same mindset. There has to be a different mindset when you come from a time that the draft is a distant memory and conflict is comparatively small.

With that said, he is also the first post-9/11 President. Sure, Bush changed as a result, but he still comes from a time where organized armies were the opposition. That can explain some of our trouble in Iraq. It is very similar to our failure in Vietnam to adjust to the Viet Cong strategies, with Presidents that had served in various capacities in the much more conventional World War II.

As a politico, one of the things I would really like to see is him battle against Pelosi and Reid. It is clear that he is not a conventional liberal in their mold, but since they came to power without his help, they are going to try and control him. It will be the topic of many term papers for me.
    Quote Quote  

3. -3
    Why is there a watermelon there?

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    No matter where I go, there I am.
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by WaywardZest View Post
    One thing a lot of people haven't looked at is how important it is to have a post-Vietnam President. Sure, neither Clinton nor Bush served, but they came from that time. McCain would have had the same mindset. There has to be a different mindset when you come from a time that the draft is a distant memory and conflict is comparatively small.

With that said, he is also the first post-9/11 President. Sure, Bush changed as a result, but he still comes from a time where organized armies were the opposition. That can explain some of our trouble in Iraq. It is very similar to our failure in Vietnam to adjust to the Viet Cong strategies, with Presidents that had served in various capacities in the much more conventional World War II.

As a politico, one of the things I would really like to see is him battle against Pelosi and Reid. It is clear that he is not a conventional liberal in their mold, but since they came to power without his help, they are going to try and control him. It will be the topic of many term papers for me.
    From your mouth to Gods ear. I may not hold out great hope that Obama will be different from those who came before him, but he has my fervent prayers that he is. One of the things I liked about Bush sr was that he managed to alienate his own party. It's also what I liked about McCain before he started running for President. It's something i have yet to see from Obama since his voting record has been strictly party line, with the only deviation being to vote even MORE left. But maybe he was just doing what he needed to in order to get to the White House. Time will tell, and I hope it works out the way you envision, rather than the way I do.
    - "What do we mean by the defeat of the enemy? Simply the destruction of his forces, whether by death, injury, or any other means -- either completely or enough to make him stop fighting. . . . ."-Carl von Clausewitz-
    Quote Quote  

4. -4
    Reach for the Stars

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Maryland
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BAMAPHIN 22 View Post
    This was a well written article...one that a lot of ppl have argument in terms of how Obama will govern.. I hope it turns out to be true..it'll be interesting..

But for my friends that I've argued with, that article did have a bit of a "I told you so" in terms of how the repubs gets votes...

For more than 40 years, the Republican Party’s success was premised on the Southern Strategy, which exploited racial anxiety to cleave the “solid South” away from the Democrats.
    Anyone with common sense could see that... You guys know I'm baiting you don't you?
    Quote Quote  

5. -5
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BAMAPHIN 22 View Post

First Independent president?

That's a joke right.

"Politics is the Art of Looking for Trouble, Finding it Everywhere, Diagnosing it Incorrectly, and Applying the Wrong Remedies"
    Quote Quote  

6. -6
    Why is there a watermelon there?

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    No matter where I go, there I am.
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MDFINFAN View Post
    This was a well written article...one that a lot of ppl have argument in terms of how Obama will govern.. I hope it turns out to be true..it'll be interesting..

But for my friends that I've argued with, that article did have a bit of a "I told you so" in terms of how the repubs gets votes...

Anyone with common sense could see that... You guys know I'm baiting you don't you?

Nah, you just ache to have someone bring up the DNC tactic of calling Republicans racist so the minority vote will go Democrat.
    Quote Quote  

7. -7
    Desert Dolphin

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Tucson, Arizona
    Thanks / No Thanks
    One of the things I did not vote for this POTUS was I didn't believe that he would stick up to his own party, not like McCain had a track record of.

If he turns out to be a middle of the road POTUS than I would be glad to be wrong about him.

Players come and go, but I will always be a Miami Dolphins Fan first and foremost.

Quote Quote  

8. -8
    Reach for the Stars

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Maryland
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PhinPhan1227 View Post
    Nah, you just ache to have someone bring up the DNC tactic of calling Republicans racist so the minority vote will go Democrat.
    Nahhhh, the DNC isn't my cup of tea right now, I'll see what Obama and Kane does with it and then I'll talk... I just had to take plug because in earlier debates with you guys I argued those points to you guys..just glad to see some one else see the same things...
    Quote Quote