Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: President Obama Sets Rules on Ethics and Transparency

1. -1
    FinHeaven Elite

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Huntsville, AL
    Thanks / No Thanks

President Obama Sets Rules on Ethics and Transparency

Mr. Obama said that yesterday at his inauguration that he was "inspired by the sight of Americans as far as the eye could see. They were there because they believe this is a moment of great change in America, a time for reinvigorating our democracy and remaking our country. They've entrusted all of us with a great responsibility. And so today I'd like to talk with you about our responsibility to keep that trust."

Adding that during this period of economic crisis, "families are tightening their belts and so should Washington," the president said he was ordering a pay freeze on senior White House staffers who make $100,000 a year or more, officially called the Presidential Memorandum Regarding Pay Freeze.

"Some of the people in this room will be affected by the pay freeze, and I want you to know that I appreciate your willingness to agree to it, recognizing that it's what's required of you at this moment," he said. "It's a mark of your commitment to public service."
    http://blogs.abcnews.com/politicalpu...ent-oba-3.html
    Quote Quote  

2. -2
    Uwe Von Schamann's Bastard Son

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    yeah, given the choice between a 6 figure pay freeze or having to find a job in the private sector, i'd say they were over the top magnanimous

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
    Quote Quote  

3. -3
    Defender of the Truth

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I'm curious...if Washington is going to "tighten" its belt but freezing the salary of Obama staffers, how is that going to loosen the belt of everyday Americans?

I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.
    -Winston Churchill

All things being equal, when you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.
    -Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
    Quote Quote  

4. -4
    Uwe Von Schamann's Bastard Son

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    It's the symbolism silly
    Quote Quote  

5. -5
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks

Like a drop in a bucket the size of the Grand Canyon. This coming from a guy who voted for the 8 trillion dollar bailout. Who wants to pass the biggest spending bill of all time. And who raised more money from special interests and lobbyists ever in a campaign. Anyone who is falling for this needs to get the word "sucker" tatooed on their foreheads.

"Politics is the Art of Looking for Trouble, Finding it Everywhere, Diagnosing it Incorrectly, and Applying the Wrong Remedies"
    Quote Quote  

6. -6
    Defender of the Truth

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MoFinz View Post
    It's the symbolism silly
    Awww, wanna better symbol, how about a pay cut of 5, 10, 15%???

Wouldn't THAT be a more significant symbol? Freezing their pay? Jesus!!! They're on day 3 of the job!! What, were they going to get a pay raise in 2 weeks or something?
    Quote Quote  

7. -7
    Waterlogged

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    orlando
    Thanks / No Thanks
    he also say he was going to include the american people more into what was going on via the media, then he went out that night and redid his oath of office, without telling anybody.
    Quote Quote  

8. -8
    Perennial All-Pro

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Miami
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jared81 View Post
    he also say he was going to include the american people more into what was going on via the media, then he went out that night and redid his oath of office, without telling anybody.
    Did he say the same oath? YES ... He only redid it because Roberts screwed up. He already did it in public

Having said that there are a few things that I read on Drudge this morning that raised my eye brows a bit. I will give him the benefit of the doubt for a bit, but it will not last too long.
    Last edited by PATSSUCK; 01-23-2009 at 12:47 PM.
    Quote Quote  

9. -9
    Desert Dolphin

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Tucson, Arizona
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Well....it's a start. What is next? Why not freeze the salaries of all Federal employees? Now that would be something.

Players come and go, but I will always be a Miami Dolphins Fan first and foremost.

Quote Quote  

10. -10
    Defender of the Truth

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jared81 View Post
    One better than that...he pops in the White House Press Briefing Room to basically say "hi" and he's ambused with questions...and what does he do???

You guessed it...dodged every question and ended up basically saying, "look guys, I just stopped in the say hi, not answer questions"

Awwww, gotta love that transparency
    Quote Quote