Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now

Thread: The union way up

1. -1
    FinHeaven Elite

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Huntsville, AL
    Thanks / No Thanks

The union way up

America, and its faltering economy, need unions to restore prosperity to the middle class.

Why is this recession so deep, and what can be done to reverse it?

Hint: Go back about 50 years, when America's middle class was expanding and the economy was soaring. Paychecks were big enough to allow us to buy all the goods and services we produced. It was a virtuous circle. Good pay meant more purchases, and more purchases meant more jobs.
    http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/...,7180340.story
    Quote Quote  

2. -2
    Why is there a watermelon there?

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    No matter where I go, there I am.
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Go back 50 years and we had no competition internationally. Articles like this make me sigh in pain for the myopia people feel free to endugle in. There's a reason why non-union auto plants in America are still prosperous while union auto plants are dying. Unions have their place, don't get me wrong, but the simple fact of the matter is that unless you plan on conquering the world and making everyone union, we just can't compete globally with countries that don't have unions.
    - "What do we mean by the defeat of the enemy? Simply the destruction of his forces, whether by death, injury, or any other means -- either completely or enough to make him stop fighting. . . . ."-Carl von Clausewitz-
    Quote Quote  

3. -3
    pofo mofo

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I try to see arguements from both sides, but on this issue I really cannot. Please someone explain to me how this can work, because as far as I know (unless the rules have changed) we have to compete globally.

I recently viewed a NBC Nightly News piece that told of how the auto manufacturing business was alive and well in ALABAMA. They told the story of all of these manufacturers flocking there for two reasons. No unions (that many here swear we need more of), and lower taxes (that many here seem to think are too low). So, I don't know, please explain to me how this could work.
    Quote Quote  

4. -4

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by phinfan3411 View Post
    I try to see arguements from both sides, but on this issue I really cannot. Please someone explain to me how this can work, because as far as I know (unless the rules have changed) we have to compete globally.

I recently viewed a NBC Nightly News piece that told of how the auto manufacturing business was alive and well in ALABAMA. They told the story of all of these manufacturers flocking there for two reasons. No unions (that many here swear we need more of), and lower taxes (that many here seem to think are too low). So, I don't know, please explain to me how this could work.

Two words...

1) It

2) Doesn't
    Quote Quote  

5. -5
    2008 AFC East Champions

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I view Unions and union leaders to be of the same coin as corporate bigwigs, just on the opposite side. Sure, they are needed and there are examples of upstanding individuals, but there are also sleazy men who use the union as a sort of legal mafia (just as some corporation chiefs are as crooked as a barrel of snakes).
    Quote Quote  

6. -6
    Waterlogged

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    unions are made to protect the workers. so they start off good. sometimes they can get too pushy and demanding and end up hurting themselves and their employers. which seems to be PART of whats happening in the auto industry.
    Quote Quote  

7. -7
    FinHeaven Elite

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Huntsville, AL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Unions deserves respect:

Do American business people have a right to run their own companies as they see fit? Absolutely. But when employers begin to circumvent the laws of this country, when they take upon themselves the license to abuse American workers out of arrogance and power induced self-centered behavior then democracy mandates, no, it screams out it's canon that humanity alone deserves respect. The human at the end of that mop or broom or bedpan celebrates his or her dignity by being there. By sharing in the work. By helping American businesses to flourish. By being willing partners in this wonderful grand experiment we Americans call capitalism. And wonderful it is!

http://www.union-organizing.com/edit.html
    Quote Quote  

8. -8

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BAMAPHIN 22 View Post
    Riiight. And when that guy pushing the broom loses his job because the union refused to back off on an unreasonable wage request causing a layoff, he can thank the union. When a person gets hurt because the union fought tooth and nail to keep an unsafe person on the job(witnessed this first hand), he can thank the union. When a company goes off shore because it can't compete with overseas wages in a union environment, the folks who got fired can thank the union. When a person gets pressured into signing a union card check and unionizing their job because their right to secret ballot voting has been taken away, he can thank the union.

Yes, Unions have done good things in the past. They have done some great things. But they also do some terrible things. They are a bureaucracy. And just like any bureaucracy they exist FIRST and foremost to promote that bureaucracy. Helping their members comes second.
    Quote Quote  

9. -9
    Scout Team

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Galloway, NJ
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Unions are a big part of the problem, not the solution. They have over stayed there usefulness in the United States
    Quote Quote