Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now

View Poll Results: Would you use the Religious Forum if it were for serious posts

Voters
5. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

2 40.00%
  • No

0 0%
  • Don't care

3 60.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just wondering...

1. -1
    THE DEFLATOR

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Calgary Alberta
    Thanks / No Thanks

Just wondering...

Would you use the Religion Forum if it was used as a Religious Forum and not a dumping ground for spoof sarcasm and low ball humor?

Pride goes before destruction and haughtiness before a fall. Proverbs 16:18
    Quote Quote  

2. -2
    not a dull boy

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1972 Dolphins LogoDolphin2013 Dolphins Logo
    Everyone has their own interest, opinions and views on things. Some you will engage, others you will enrage, and some just see it all as a joke. I don't see how or why the religion forum would function any differently from the other forums on this board.
    To play a wrong note is insignificant; to play without passion is inexcusable - Ludwig Van Beethoven

Thanks to Disturbed Shifty
    Quote Quote  

3. -3
    Sophisticated Redneck

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    out in the Ding Weeds
    Thanks / No Thanks

There are literally 2 threads that look to be humor based in the forum.

If you choose to debate religion in a forum you must practice what most religions are based on, tolerance. Not everyone shares the same beliefs and a cynic is no different from a believer because regardless of fact both take it on faith that they are right.

The parallels between religion and science are greater in nature than not, most people just won't draw that conclusion and tend to be an evolutionist or a creationist which leads to "I have to prove I'm right" when the simplistic answer could be "you're both right".
    "Frank's Redhot - I Put That **** On Everything!" ~ Ethel

Quote Quote  

4. -4
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rev kev View Post
    Would you use the Religion Forum if it was used as a Religious Forum and not a dumping ground for spoof sarcasm and low ball humor?
    But isn't religion itself very humorous?
    ___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

"....if there is activity in the ball prior to the rubbing action....
    Bill Belichick, Sat Jan 24, 2015

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

"You may think that you are some kind of god to these people. But we both know what you really are."
    "What's that? A criminal?"
    "Worse. A politician."
    Source: Under The Dome
    Quote Quote  

5. -5
    Rookie

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    United kingdom
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by NY8123 View Post
    There are literally 2 threads that look to be humor based in the forum.

If you choose to debate religion in a forum you must practice what most religions are based on, tolerance. Not everyone shares the same beliefs and a cynic is no different from a believer because regardless of fact both take it on faith that they are right.

The parallels between religion and science are greater in nature than not, most people just won't draw that conclusion and tend to be an evolutionist or a creationist which leads to "I have to prove I'm right" when the simplistic answer could be "you're both right".

Science has it's limits.. after all it cannot answer some of the most basic and deepest questions known to man, and lets be clear Science is not the only path to truth...Jesus actually said, I am The Way, The Truth and The Life..

I alluded to science not being able to answer certain questions.. these are questions like:

How did everything begin?
    What are we all here for?
    What is the point of living?

The answers to these questions come from 'religion'

Science cannot answer why the universe came into being, what is the meaning of human existence and what happens after we die.. again the answers to these come from the religious sector..

Now I don't believe in a God of the gaps but of the whole .. Science has a warped view of God and this has transcended to the public...

Scientists present God or a law of nature .. the more we 'discover' about nature through 'science' the less room there is for God and so therefore you need to fall down on one side or the other.. making the God of the gaps that I spoke of.. until eventually one day man thinks he has all the answers and can thoroughly displace God.. but again I say I believe in a God of the whole .. not just the gaps.. I believe God created the universe and sustains it.. I don't believe in the evolution theory or the big bang (as this still does not explain where the universe or the energy came from) and without him (God) there would be nothing for anyone to study.. including our very selves.

God is creator of the universe not only for those things we don't understand but also for those we do... it is the bits we can and do understand that actually give us the most proof for God and his activity...the logic for this is quite simplistic.. no really it is..
    my admiration for a piece of precision engineering or art increases the more I understand the competencies and challenges of design etc. that lie behind that creation.. therefore the more we understand science the more our worship and admiration for the creator should increase.. not decrease.... and this is the lie that 'science' has now perpetuated upon mankind and a vast number have bought into..

God is an (and I would argue - the true) explanation of the universe and of the creation account.. and in literal terms too..

If I said the universe was a jet engine and I asked you to explain it.. you could talk about the laws of nature, mechanical engineering etc... or you can say it was the invention of Frank Whittle. It would then be stupid to ask the people to then choose between the 2.. wouldn't it??
    The real question before you is do you accept the jet engine came about by unguided 'natural' processes or by Mr. Whittles inventive intelligence.

the answer seems pretty clear to me.. is it to you?

I don't deny science can and does explain some wonderful things but I would argue that God explains why science explains.. God is the foundation of all explanations as without him there is no physics, no biology and no chemistry.. he is the God of the whole.. he is the creator and he spoke and it was he is all powerful and all knowing and there is nothing impossible for him including a 6 day literal creation or providing us with his word.. it is a warped sense of who God is that leads to doubt and a lack of revelation over what I consider to be the truth..
    Your word is a lamp to my feet and a lamp to my path - Psalm 119:105
    Jesus I love you my saviour - thank you for saving me.
    Quote Quote  

6. -6
    Rookie

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    United kingdom
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by phins_4_ever View Post
    But isn't religion itself very humorous?
    if death is humorous to you - yes I suppose it is
    Quote Quote  

7. -7
    Administrator

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Brooklyn
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Hydra logo
Gift received at 05-21-2014, 12:20 PM from DisturbedShifty1972 Dolphins Logo
    Yeah, I'm only seeing a couple of joke threads having to do with religion, interspersed with many legitimate religious topics. If you want to start threads about religion (assuming Christianity specifically), this is the place to do it. Subject to the same TOS as the rest of the forum.

Quote Quote  

8. -8
    THE DEFLATOR

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Calgary Alberta
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Um. ... sssuppose.... perhaps some joke threads have already been removed - by courteous Mods - Would that change your mind that I have had to moderate because Hansmojo is on a break?

And Bump is a good to great guy but he needs his own forum to truly shine - the religion forum is too small for such a huge marvel of the universe LOL
    Quote Quote  

9. -9
    Administrator

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Brooklyn
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Hydra logo
Gift received at 05-21-2014, 12:20 PM from DisturbedShifty1972 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by rev kev View Post
    Um. ... sssuppose.... perhaps some joke threads have already been removed - by courteous Mods - Would that change your mind that I have had to moderate because Hansmojo is on a break?

And Bump is a good to great guy but he needs his own forum to truly shine - the religion forum is too small for such a huge marvel of the universe LOL
    Nothing's been moved from this thread in over a month.
    Quote Quote  

10. -10
    THE DEFLATOR

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Calgary Alberta
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gonzo View Post
    Nothing's been moved from this thread in over a month.
    nothing goes on in this forum - but it doesn't appear to matter to anyone but me -

That's why I posted the poll...

There have been posts removed in the the last few months but it used to be moderated by hansmojo
    Quote Quote