Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now

Thread: Rob Bell's Christianity is Beautiful

1. -1
    Brady Slayer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Washington DC
    Thanks / No Thanks

Rob Bell's Christianity is Beautiful

Rob Bell is a Christian pastor who has a way of interpreting scripture that has ticked off a great many evangelicals - some even going so far as to label him a "false teacher".

So what is this message that so many evangelical preachers find so offensive? His message is LOVE.

What We Talk About When We Talk About God by Rob …: http://youtu.be/rG1CDec4qkg

Rob Bell - LOVE WINS: A Book About Heaven, Hell, …: http://youtu.be/ivwfqBNICf4

Rediscovering Wonder—A New Video from Rob Bell: http://youtu.be/dF-V_t_NSHw

He approaches his Christianity through the prism of Jesus' message and actions. I've long held the belief that the behavior of most Christians today is completely at odds with Jesus' ministry as presented in the gospels. How conservative Christians can rationalize and rectify their beliefs with the words and actions of Jesus I will never know, but it must require some serious mental gymnastics.

Rob Bell breaks everything down quite elegantly in his talks and books, including Love Wins which does an effective job of unpacking the mainstream christian perception of hell, and showing that scripture doesn't really jive with that perception.

We need more people who act like Jesus, and less who claim they love Jesus and follow Jesus, but completely reject his message of love, acceptance, gratitude and non-violence.
    FIRE FAILBIN

**If the Dolphins make the playoffs, this sig will become HIRE PHILWIN**
    Quote Quote  

2. -2
    ihaveprettyfeet

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Calgary Alberta
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Rob Bell is a good communicator he is to me a good person who pushes evangelicals in the right areas - Evangelicals at large have accepted a "Greek view of hell and eternity" and Bell's views challenge the Greek hell construct - unfortunately masses of Christians have adopted views and they don't know why...
    While I am not a universalist and I reject universal reconciliation -that is to say that God won't drag people who want no partof him to be with him - this is my belief

Skape is right. - the Church has fallen in love with the Book not the God of the Book

Jesus wasn't blowing smoke when he told parables about wheat and fares and / or the sheep and goats - God desires people make up their mind who they are going to serve. Problems surface when the church attempts to seperate the weeds and tares - that is not our role
    Last edited by rev kev; 10-05-2014 at 12:27 PM.
    Pastor stands up in Church from the pulpit and asks the congregation if they know what the resurrection is about? Small child in a pew puts his hands up and would like to answer, pastor asks the child to answer, Boy says "If the resurrection persists over 4 hours you have to call a doctor"
    Quote Quote  

3. -3
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I'll be honest - I'm not a huge Rob Bell fan. I mean I like a lot of what he says, he certainly has his heart in the right place, and he emphasizes the right things (i.e. living/loving like Christ instead of judging and condemning like a small town sheriff). But the way he (and frankly many "modern" Christians) are walking away from 2000 years of orthodoxy because words like "sin" or "guilt" or "hell" have become unpopular, or unpleasant to talk about - it just strikes me the wrong way. I'm all for speaking to the post-modern culture we're in now, but the roots of Christianity are clear to me - it was the Son of God dying so I wouldn't have to; it was Him suffering judgement so that I wouldn't.
    Quote Quote  

4. -4
    Desert Dolphin

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Tucson, Arizona
    Thanks / No Thanks
    The issue Christians have with Rob Bell is his diversion away from sound biblical concepts of heaven and hell, that are made clear as day in the bible....among many other things. I used to love watching his nooma videos back in the day. Sadly I feel he has become full of ...himself... these days.

Players come and go, but I will always be a Miami Dolphins Fan first and foremost.

Quote Quote  

5. -5
    Brady Slayer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Washington DC
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolphan7 View Post
    The issue Christians have with Rob Bell is his diversion away from sound biblical concepts of heaven and hell, that are made clear as day in the bible....among many other things. I used to love watching his nooma videos back in the day. Sadly I feel he has become full of ...himself... these days.
    Did you read "Love Wins"? The "traditional" concepts of heaven and hell aren't even spelled out in the Bible, at all. Most of that comes from Greek beliefs in the underworld, Hades and all that jazz. A lot of the modern day depictions of hell as a place of torment comes from Dante's Inferno, not the Bible.

Nowhere in the Bible does it ever say that Bible is a place of eternal torture and damnation. Jesus NEVER spoke of that, not once. For some reasons people take the Parable of the Weeds to be an allusion of hell, but it doesn't make any allusions to an eternal place of torture.

The Parable of the Weeds
    …29"But he said, 'No; for while you are gathering up the tares, you may uproot the wheat with them. 30'Allow both to grow together until the harvest; and in the time of the harvest I will say to the reapers, "First gather up the tares and bind them in bundles to burn them up; but gather the wheat into my barn."'"
    "burn them up" is essentially to dispose of them. Its temporary. The wheat doesn't burn forever and forever.
    Quote Quote  

6. -6
    Brady Slayer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Washington DC
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by GasPed View Post
    I'll be honest - I'm not a huge Rob Bell fan. I mean I like a lot of what he says, he certainly has his heart in the right place, and he emphasizes the right things (i.e. living/loving like Christ instead of judging and condemning like a small town sheriff). But the way he (and frankly many "modern" Christians) are walking away from 2000 years of orthodoxy because words like "sin" or "guilt" or "hell" have become unpopular, or unpleasant to talk about - it just strikes me the wrong way. I'm all for speaking to the post-modern culture we're in now, but the roots of Christianity are clear to me - it was the Son of God dying so I wouldn't have to; it was Him suffering judgement so that I wouldn't.
    I am not a Christian, but I am a fan of Jesus. I think the message of Jesus has been distorted every which way since "The Way" got co-opted by one Saul of Tarsus and turned into some kind of zombie worship cult. I can understand how some Christians, especially American Christians, can view Rob Bell's teachings as you do, but you must understand that the 2000 years of orthodoxy you speak of comes not from Jesus himself, but from a political organization known as the Church.

We must be able to discern what is the truth of the message, and what has been added, altered and distorted to serve the needs of a political power structure over time. Christianity has been entwined with politics for millennia now, and even today its quite a powerful influence at home and abroad.

Make no mistake, Jesus was an enemy of his ruling political structure at the time - that's why he was killed. As they say, "keep your friends close, but keep your enemies closer". The political power structures have successfully assimilated Christianity and turned it into something it was never meant to be - to neuter the power of Jesus' message.
    Quote Quote  

7. -7
    ihaveprettyfeet

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Calgary Alberta
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Skape - you are right in my opinion - on so many levels - Christ ones have fallen in love with Greek concepts of hell and heaven but Jesus taught to not follow him is death "eternal" death
    Quote Quote