Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Team USA

1. -11
    FinHeaven Elite

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    arkansas
    Thanks / No Thanks

ice...........

Originally posted by iceblizzard69
    I am not a hockey fan, but I watched some of it last night (USA vs. Russia) but I only turned it on because I though SNL would be on. I love the Summer Olympics but the Winter ones have some dumb crap. I saw this thing where they had to go cross country skiing but in the middle they had to go to a range and shoot these targets. I was trying to figure out what the hell the two things had in common. The only stuff I like in the Winter games is the bobsled, Halfpipe (snowboarding is awesome and although some of the best USA ones don't compete in the Olympics, it was still cool), and skeleton (which will kick ass.) I saw some speed skating last night, Ohno is cool but its predictable, people lead and then fall at the end.
    i'm not sure, but the biathelon was introduced to the olympics by a scandenavian country. the skiing and shooting involves what they had to do during the war in the winter time. i'll admit some of the contests are pretty worthless, but when you think about the competition at that altitude and in that cold, it adds a whole new meaning.
    and i agree, that two man luge is so stupid, i can't believe the olympics are wasting their time with it.
    on the freestyle skiing, where you come down a hill and launch into the air like a ski jump, they were asking $1000 a ticket for that crap!
    Quote Quote  

2. -12
    Waterlogged

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    On an island
    Thanks / No Thanks

Re: ice...........

Originally posted by dolfan06
    i'm not sure, but the biathelon was introduced to the olympics by a scandenavian country. the skiing and shooting involves what they had to do during the war in the winter time. i'll admit some of the contests are pretty worthless, but when you think about the competition at that altitude and in that cold, it adds a whole new meaning.
    and i agree, that two man luge is so stupid, i can't believe the olympics are wasting their time with it.
    on the freestyle skiing, where you come down a hill and launch into the air like a ski jump, they were asking $1000 a ticket for that crap!
    Freestyling skiing is kinda cool, but skiing is dumb in general. Snowboarding is a lot better than skiing. And why do you know that its called a biathelon?
    Quote Quote  

3. -13
    drowning in a sea of pointless *ussy

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Ontario, Canada
    Thanks / No Thanks

Biatalon

Is a historical sport from Scandinavia, I believe it originates like dolfan06 said from Scandinavia but I don't think it was the war, Did Norway or Sweden fight in the war? I think they did it first when they would hunt for food, cross country ski and then go out and shoot their dinner. It is a weird sport that I have never watched but what is so hard to do in the Biathalon is the shooting. Imagine going all out and then having to stop and hit a target a long ways away. It might not seem that difficult but try hitting a target when you are trying to catch your breath. Biatheletes are famous for their breath control and getting their heart rate down quickly(they'd do great in the Chair)it's hard to shoot when your body is huffing and puffing to catch their breath.

As for the Hockey, Go CANADA, they played like **** their first 2 games. Man I wish we had Patrick Roy and Joe Thornton their.Lastly CHOPS44 the Chicago Stanley Cup was Pittsburgh's second, the year before they beat the Minnesota North Stars.
    Quote Quote  

4. -14
    firm believer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Johnsburg, IL
    Thanks / No Thanks

Re: HOW BOUT' THOSE SWEDES!!!

Originally posted by Phinmaster1354
    Team Sweden has been the most impressive team thus far! They had Jagr totally frustrated last night! Sundin has been pretty awesome!Plus they are getting good goaltending from Salo which doesn't hurt!! They dominated CANADA and then beat a very good Czech team last night!
    Sweeden has looked very tough. Can you imagine if Foresburg was healthy? Scarey. That "torpedo" system they're running just gives them an edge right now in the early going. By the time USA plays them, hopefully we have figured out an answer for it.

I think I already have one....

That offense has the wingers criss-crossing from end to end hoping to get lost, if our defensemen stay at home and have our wingers shadow theirs, it might frustrate them and make them turn the puck over on some of those long passes they throw. That will cause odd-man breaks for us. Regardless we need our goaltending to be on....way on.
    Quote Quote  

5. -15
    firm believer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Johnsburg, IL
    Thanks / No Thanks

Re: Biatalon

Originally posted by dolfan25

As for the Hockey, Go CANADA, they played like **** their first 2 games. Man I wish we had Patrick Roy and Joe Thornton their.Lastly CHOPS44 the Chicago Stanley Cup was Pittsburgh's second, the year before they beat the Minnesota North Stars. [/B]

Are you sure? I thought that Stanley Cup is what put Jagr on the map. Then they rolled next year taking out Minnesota, who was the surprise team.

The year before the finals, the Blackhawks lost to the Oilers in the WC finals. They went on to win the cup without Gretzky.

Also why isn't Roy playing? Is he hurt? Or did Wayne just not pick him? They should stick with Martin over Cujo.

I think Canada's problem is they're running the dump and chase way too much. Their team speed is better than everyone else's. They should run a more wide-open attack. I also noticed that they're shooting way too much(believe it or not, that's bad in the Olympics.) they should pass more across the rink, get the goalie's going east and west. The North American style won't win gold, that's for sure.
    Quote Quote  

6. -16
    OOPS - I did it again!

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    RSM, CA
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Originally posted by CHOPS44
    Also why isn't Roy playing? Is he hurt? Or did Wayne just not pick him? They should stick with Martin over Cujo.
    Roy pulled himself out of contention saying that he wanted to rest up for the play-offs. IMO, his ego was bruised by not being named a starter when the first roster announcements were made last year.

Originally posted by CHOPS44
    I think Canada's problem is they're running the dump and chase way too much. Their team speed is better than everyone else's. They should run a more wide-open attack. I also noticed that they're shooting way too much(believe it or not, that's bad in the Olympics.) they should pass more across the rink, get the goalie's going east and west. The North American style won't win gold, that's for sure.
    I think Canada's problem is that they feel they deserve just because they're Canadian. They forgot they have to actually play. I think their captain might be a problem too. Don't get me wrong, Lemieux is one helluva hockey player - but if he's not healthy enough to play in ALL of Canada's games, then he should've pulled himself out in favor of someone who is. Instead he put his own selfish pursuits first. He's again picking and choosing which games he plays in. He's the captain - what do you think that says to the rest of the team? They would've been better served with Joe Thornton.

Canada needs to focus and play a solid game from start to finish. Otherwise, I don't see them getting past their quarterfinal match on Wednesday. They will be playing either Finland or Russia and it will be a tough game either way even if they do show up ready to play.

That being said...

USA! USA! USA!
    Quote Quote  

7. -17
    FinHeaven Elite

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    arkansas
    Thanks / No Thanks

Re: Re: ice...........

Originally posted by iceblizzard69

Freestyling skiing is kinda cool, but skiing is dumb in general. Snowboarding is a lot better than skiing. And why do you know that its called a biathelon?
    its easy to figure out why its called a biathalon. its 2 sports, like the decathalon is 10 sports.

i,m not sure, but in world war 1 didn't norway patrol its coast with a ski patrol?
    Quote Quote  

8. -18
    100% Homer. Don't like it? Get lost.

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Boca Raton, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Hey, I am mighty proud of my german team. Ranked 20th they created a small sensation by advancing from the preliminary round. Yeah, we got clobbered by the Czechs but we played a toughy against Canada. Today we will be clobbered again (Sweden)...but what the heck.

Today is the last game day of the final round. After today the round robin of the medal round begins.

1. of group A vs 4. of group B
    2. of group A vs 3. of group B
    3. of group A vs 2. of group B
    4. of group A vs 1. of group B

One group is completed:

USA
    Finnland
    Russia
    Belarus

1st pairing is also said:

USA vs Germany.

USA won their group and even if Germany would win they can not be better than last place (4th).

Most likely other pairings....

Sweden vs Belarus
    Canada or Czech vs Finnland
    Canada or Czech vs Russia
    and of course...USA vs Germany

It sure is excitying hockey. I love the "no two line" rule.
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Loyalty to my country always. Loyalty to my government when it deserves it.
    Quote Quote  

9. -19
    firm believer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Johnsburg, IL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I keep hearing that the Germans(their head coach in particular) want team USA. Something to do with the "miracle 80" team. If they weren't upset by USA then the whole miracle thing never would have happened. He's playing with fire. Team USA is playing like a team that's been together for 5 years.

Who did the Germans upset to reach Olympic play?
    Quote Quote  

10. -20
    100% Homer. Don't like it? Get lost.

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Boca Raton, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Who did they upset? LOL

They had to go through two extra qualifications. The seeding is based on the 1999 and 1998 World standings. When Germany came to the Olympics they were ranked 20th. No team particiapating (including preliminaries) were ranked worse than 14.

In Germany's preliminary group the Slowaks were the top team followed by Austria.

Germany was expected to lose all 3 preliminary games which made our coach comment like that before the Olympics: "why even bother. I'd rather be fishing".

Well they won all 3 games (Slovaks, Austria and Latvia).

Germany has only two NHL players and the color commentator put it in the right perspective by saying: "Germany playing in the final round is like putting the Carolina Panthers and the St Louis Rams on the same level"....LOL

Of course besides Germany I also root for the US.

I don't know what the comments were but Germany was never upset. They were hardly favorites in any game in the last 20-30 years. German hockey on an international level is second divsion or third world country like at best.
    Quote Quote