Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 1 of 14 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Fishing Thread

1. -1
    Grip it and rip it

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks

DolphinDolphinDolphin

Official Fishing Thread

Post your best fishing pictures but the catch is there has to be a good story to go with it'

I'll start

Fishing in a Dolphin Rodeo contest off of Fort Lauderdale we were not having much luck. The winds were up and there was no weed lines to be found. The contest was nearing an end and the biggest Dolphin we had caught the day before in the two day event was only 20 lb's so things were looking bleak. We were out about 10 miles in the shipping channels when we came across a bag of garbage probably thrown over board by a passing freighter. Noticing lots of small fish gathering under it we put out our lines. i lowered the down rigger with a google eye sporting a red skirt. The fish above was soon on and i hauled it in. We hurried back to the weight in at Miami Beach marina and just got there in time.
    Usually a 43 lb Dolphin would not be in the top grouping but because of the poor weather I did manage 3rd place
    Last edited by fishfanmiami; 02-23-2015 at 03:56 AM.

Quote Quote  

2. -2
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    San Antonio, TX
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by fishfanmiami View Post
    Post your best fishing pictures but the catch is there has to be a good story to go with it'

I'll start

Fishing in a Dolphin Rodeo contest off of Fort Lauderdale we were not having much luck. The winds were up and there was no weed lines to be found. The contest was nearing an end and the biggest Dolphin we had caught the day before in the two day event was only 20 lb's so things were looking bleak. We were out about 10 miles in the shipping channels when we came across a bag of garbage probably thrown over board by a passing freighter. Noticing lots of small fish gathering under it we put out our lines. i lowered the down rigger with a google eye sporting a red skirt. The fish above was soon on and i hauled it in. We hurried back to the weight in at Miami Beach marina and just got there in time.
    Usually a 43 lb Dolphin would not be in the top grouping but because of the poor weather I did manage 3rd place
    Nice fish! I haven't been blue water fishing in about 10 years but did catch about a 20 lb black tuna last time I was out with my brother. We were trolling ballyhoo out Jupiter inlet. Got a few small kingfish that day as well on live greenies.

My brother just got a 32' SeaVee so I need to head back down and fish with him. He is always asking me to come down and I'm always working.
    Quote Quote  

3. -3
    Grip it and rip it

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks

DolphinDolphinDolphin
    That's what I'm talkin about. Bet that Tuna ran around the boat three or four times before you got him in. Even the one's half that size fight like hell.
    It's been a while for me as well. I fished Savannah last year which is 3 hours away but didn't have much luck. There is a lady Captain there that I spoke to . Her name is Captain Judy and she has four decent charter boats. When I can get two or three others interested I'll give that a try for $600 a half day.
    Thanks for posting Buddy
    Last edited by fishfanmiami; 02-23-2015 at 03:54 AM.
    Quote Quote  

4. -4
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    San Antonio, TX
    Thanks / No Thanks
    They have a charter here that does half a day duck hunting and half a day fishing. They catch some huge redfish and speckled trout in the flats here. I think it's $750 for up to 3 people. Not bad and sounds like fun.
    Quote Quote  

5. -5
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    2013 Dolphins LogoCam Wake 91Tannehill 171972 Dolphins Logo
    Great thread...I'll post some pic's mid march. I got an infraction for posting something someone thought inappropriate so I'm restricted for now.
    Quote Quote  

6. -6
    Grip it and rip it

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks

DolphinDolphinDolphin
    For you fresh water guys

When i get a minute I'll tell the story of how a drunk and high 20 year old snatched this fish from the mouth of a 6 foot gator in the middle of a moonless night in the Everglades.
    Quote Quote  

7. -7
    not a dull boy

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Room 237
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1972 Dolphins LogoDolphin2013 Dolphins Logo
    Being stuck out in Colorado for a period of time (and watching my fishing/scuba gear rot in the process) and then being blessed with raising my daughter for the past 2+ years here in Florida it's been a while since I've been out. That said, in a month I'm going out fishing with my brother and a few friends the third week of March before he gets married. I'm sure to bring home a few tales from that excursion.
    To play a wrong note is insignificant; to play without passion is inexcusable - Ludwig Van Beethoven

Thanks to Disturbed Shifty
    Quote Quote  

8. -8
    Grip it and rip it

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks

DolphinDolphinDolphin
    Where were you at in Colorado ? i use to go to visit Boulder for two week every year. My friend lived about 3 houses down from where they filmed Mork and Mindy until he moved out to Clarksville. Night time skiing at Eldora was a blast.
    Quote Quote  

9. -9
    not a dull boy

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Room 237
    Thanks / No Thanks
    1972 Dolphins LogoDolphin2013 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by fishfanmiami View Post
    Where were you at in Colorado ? i use to go to visit Boulder for two week every year. My friend lived about 3 houses down from where they filmed Mork and Mindy until he moved out to Clarksville. Night time skiing at Eldora was a blast.
    Parker for and Colorado Springs. I liked Eldora; it was nice and close. The traffic on 1-70 is almost always horrendous, but of course I visited quite a lot of the places out there when I could. Breck, Copper, Vail, Keystone, etc. I probably liked Winter Park the best for skiing as it was a little more off the beaten path. Beautiful place. I loved Colorado for about 3 maybe 4 months out of the year. I ****ing hate cold weather. Boulder was nice. The sidewalk salesman have kinda ruined the place but it's a very unique town with great food and beer.
    Last edited by Sons of Shula; 02-26-2015 at 01:05 PM.
    Quote Quote  

10. -10
    C'mon Dolphins

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Caesar Creek Lake, OH
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I have a few fishing stories. I had a week of training in Hampton Beach area about 20 years ago. I took my wife and young daughter along for the trip. They played at the pool and beach while I was at training during the day. Then we did stuff at night. One evening we planned a fishing trip. It was Blue Fish time there and the one company offered a 3 hour trip for a decent price. We boarded the boat and they took us out several miles. No fish at the first spot so they moved us to another area further out. Finally there was almost a churn of Blue Fish in the sea. People were catching them left and right. The helpers on the boat could hardly keep up with pulling in fish. This was one of those trips where people were jammed elbow to elbow. I ended up bringing in a decent sized Blue Fish after a good fight. Wife and daughter were enjoying the trip. Then it came time to go back. The boat seemed to hit something or one of the 2 motors just gave out, not sure which. The boat started going in circles since it was a twin engine fishing boat. Smoke was coming out of the engine room. We were stranded. People on the boat started panicking. I was surprised that my young daughter wasn't scared at all. They eventually called the coast guard and got a tow back to mainland but we were 10 miles down the shoreline. So they had to send a bunch of vehicles down to pick everyone up and bring them back to the dock where we boarded. The 3 hour trip was supposed to be from 6-9 PM but when we finally got back to the hotel is was 3:30 in the morning. Needless to say I was tired the next day. But I'll never forget my daughters bravery on that trip and the 20-30 minutes when the Blue Fish were practically jumping into our boat.
    Quote Quote