Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.



VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 12 of 49 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314151617 ... LastLast
Results 111 to 120 of 487

Thread: Official UFC/MMA Thread..Spoiler Alert..

  1. -111
    j-off-her-doll's Avatar
    Hall Of Famer

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Apr 2009
    Posts:
    8,346
    vCash:
    6360
    Loc:
    Dream Songs
    Thanks / No Thanks
    GSP has no shot against Silva. Anderson says he walks around at 220. He has height/reach/size advantage. He's got great JJ and long limbs assuming GSP can ever take him down. He has pin point striking and great movement.

    He'd actually has less of a chance to beat Anderson than BJ had to beat GSP, without the grease. (see 1st fight)
    It's been reported that R. Evans can not take GSP down and that GSP takes Evans down at will. Evans is at least as big as Silva. I'd definitely give the advantage to Silva - Silva by the way is one of my very favorite fighters - but Silva's take down defense is an area of weakness. Unless Silva knocked him out in the first couple of minutes, GSP would take him down. It's just a matter of how effective GSP would be with his ground and pound. He'd need to fight with a greater sense of urgency.

    It'd be the definition of a dream fight for me. Two of the greatest fighters the sport has ever seen, two fighters I like a great deal - in and out of the cage.
    Quote Quote  

  2. -112
    KDog13's Avatar
    "I See No Changes" - Tupac

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Feb 2009
    Posts:
    1,933
    vCash:
    1016
    Loc:
    New York
    Thanks / No Thanks
    My Bouts I Want To See for HeavyWeight

    Lol Some Are Probably Unrealistic But Tell Me Who Would Win Them

    HeavyWeight Brock Vs Fedor Or vs Winner of Carwin vs Valasquez
    HeavyWeight Mir Vs Loser of Carwin vs Valasquez
    HeavyWeight Cheick Kongo Vs Winner of Couture vs Nogueira
    HeavyWeight Tim Slyvia Vs Heath Herring
    HeavyWeight Mirko Cro Cop Vs Gabriel Gonzaga
    HeavyWeight Brett Rogers Vs Fabricio Werdum
    HeavyWeight Andrei Arvlovski vs Junior Dos Santos
    HeavyWeight Brandon Vera Vs Mark Coleman
    HeavyWeight Josh Barnett Vs Jeff Monson
    HeavyWeight Antoni Hardonk vs Justin McCully
    HeavyWeight Eddie Sanchez vs Ken Shamrock
    Quote Quote  

  3. -113
    R_t_Kraken's Avatar
    FinHeaven Elite

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Mar 2004
    Posts:
    10,113
    vCash:
    1060
    Loc:
    South Cackalaka
    Thanks / No Thanks
    2013 Dolphins LogoCam Wake 91
    Quote Originally Posted by j-off-her-doll View Post
    It's been reported that R. Evans can not take GSP down and that GSP takes Evans down at will. Evans is at least as big as Silva. I'd definitely give the advantage to Silva - Silva by the way is one of my very favorite fighters - but Silva's take down defense is an area of weakness. Unless Silva knocked him out in the first couple of minutes, GSP would take him down. It's just a matter of how effective GSP would be with his ground and pound. He'd need to fight with a greater sense of urgency.

    It'd be the definition of a dream fight for me. Two of the greatest fighters the sport has ever seen, two fighters I like a great deal - in and out of the cage.
    GSP wants to part of Anderson anyway. In regards to moving up in weight class finished an interview saying that "some decisions in mma can affect your quality of life."

    Pretty much reinforces what he said in the post fight, seemed to dodge that question a bit, i can't remember exactly what he said other than saying welterweight is stacked and he'd have to bulk up first but he didn't seem to interested them.

    He also said Alves felt 'slippery.' He's one to go there right.

    Was critical of his ex-BJJ trainer Holanda, who helped Alves train for the fight said Alves knew all his tricks.

    -interview via CKAC (montreal radio station)
    Quote Quote  

  4. -114
    R_t_Kraken's Avatar
    FinHeaven Elite

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Mar 2004
    Posts:
    10,113
    vCash:
    1060
    Loc:
    South Cackalaka
    Thanks / No Thanks
    2013 Dolphins LogoCam Wake 91
    Quote Originally Posted by KDog13 View Post
    My Bouts I Want To See for HeavyWeight

    Lol Some Are Probably Unrealistic But Tell Me Who Would Win Them

    HeavyWeight Brock Vs Fedor Or vs Winner of Carwin vs Valasquez
    HeavyWeight Mir Vs Valasquez
    HeavyWeight Cheick Kongo Vs Couture
    HeavyWeight Tim Slyvia Vs Heath Herring
    HeavyWeight Mirko Cro Cop Vs Gabriel Gonzaga
    HeavyWeight Brett Rogers Vs Fabricio Werdum
    HeavyWeight Andrei Arvlovski vs Junior Dos Santos
    HeavyWeight Brandon Vera Vs Mark Coleman
    HeavyWeight Josh Barnett Vs Jeff Monson
    HeavyWeight Antoni Hardonk vs Justin Mcully
    HeavyWeight Eddie Sanchez vs Ken Shamrock
    bold winner. a few of those are probably unlikely.
    Quote Quote  

  5. -115
    KDog13's Avatar
    "I See No Changes" - Tupac

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Feb 2009
    Posts:
    1,933
    vCash:
    1016
    Loc:
    New York
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Chi View Post
    bold winner. a few of those are probably unlikely.
    thanks for answering

    and you doubt Brett Rogers, he seems real good
    Quote Quote  

  6. -116
    R_t_Kraken's Avatar
    FinHeaven Elite

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Mar 2004
    Posts:
    10,113
    vCash:
    1060
    Loc:
    South Cackalaka
    Thanks / No Thanks
    2013 Dolphins LogoCam Wake 91
    Quote Originally Posted by KDog13 View Post
    thanks for answering

    and you doubt Brett Rogers, he seems real good
    heh, not a believer just yet. Arlovski has been known to have a suspect chin. I think anybody with decent wrestling would ground him and submit him or pound him. Werdum would probably have to strike with him, but he's the more polished fighter to me. Rogers seems like a Kimbo clone with less hype(power brawler.)
    Quote Quote  

  7. -117
    GoonBoss's Avatar
    Finheaven Templar

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Feb 2005
    Posts:
    19,236
    vCash:
    13465
    Loc:
    The Crossroads of TX
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by John Phenomenon View Post
    Haha, it was great. I'm not for kicking a guy while he's down but he had it coming. He non stop disrespected Henderson until... he was knocked out. I don't hold anything against Henderson for doing it. Even he said normally we wouldn't do that but Bisbing is Bisbing.
    My take on the card.
    Belcher got robbed in the first fight of the night.
    So glad Henderson laid out Bisbing.
    I thought Alves would've been more of a challenge for GSP. I was rooting for Alves some of my friends train with ATT. GSP did say after the fight to give him time to gain the weight and he will move up possibly to fight Silva which I'm glad to hear he is willing to try it.
    I'm not a fan of Lesnar but I think it will be tough for anyone to take the belt from him. He's only going to get better which is scary.
    I would say don't underestimate Lesner. He's about as focused as they come. He's genuinely a mean, ill tempered person and really a machine.

    As sort of outside looking in on MMA (Not really invested in it. Too many wannabe jack offs running around here with Tapout gear and bald heads for me to want to associate with it) I can tell you what Lesner did at the end of the fight helped MMA a LOT. I have never heard of an MMA even being discussed on national sports radio for ONE whole day, not to mention TWO whole days. Lots of that was due to Lesner's antics.

    As he said; He is used to performing on VERY large stages and in the WWE he was generally a "heel", or the bad guy (As opposed to a "face", good guy). He just did what he was programed to do. The owner of MMA put a boot up his ***, and, rightly so, but Brock was just doing what he had to do. In the wrestling industry it's called "pop". "Pop" is crowd reaction. It can be cheers, or boos. Doesn't matter which. "Pop" is always good.

    Think about it. MMA fans will either want to see Lesner fight and win, or fight and get beat...Sort of like Bisping. Lesner's stuff may well start to bring in the sideline and fringe fans that bring money into the sport, as well as exposure. That's how you get ESPN pimping your product.

    I will admit I paid lots closer attention to MMA before and after this event. I'm paying closer attention now. I'm not on board completely yet, but, I can see myself edgeing closer.

    Thanks Shifty!

    Quote Quote  

  8. -118
    BobDole's Avatar
    Paddy's Pub

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Jan 2008
    Posts:
    6,969
    vCash:
    1180
    Loc:
    Boom City
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by KDog13 View Post
    My Bouts I Want To See for HeavyWeight

    Lol Some Are Probably Unrealistic But Tell Me Who Would Win Them

    HeavyWeight Brock Vs Fedor Or vs Winner of Carwin vs Valasquez
    HeavyWeight Mir Vs Loser of Carwin vs Valasquez
    HeavyWeight Cheick Kongo Vs Winner of Couture vs Nogueira
    HeavyWeight Tim Slyvia Vs Heath Herring
    HeavyWeight Mirko Cro Cop Vs Gabriel Gonzaga
    HeavyWeight Brett Rogers Vs Fabricio Werdum
    HeavyWeight Andrei Arvlovski vs Junior Dos Santos
    HeavyWeight Brandon Vera Vs Mark Coleman
    HeavyWeight Josh Barnett Vs Jeff Monson
    HeavyWeight Antoni Hardonk vs Justin McCully
    HeavyWeight Eddie Sanchez vs Ken Shamrock
    fedor - velasquez.
    carwin would lose and then beat mir.
    couture - couture.
    silvia. herring is a complete joke.
    gonzaga already beat cro cop with the most devastating kick basically ever. i'd take cro cop the second time around.
    werdum.
    arlovski.
    vera.
    barnett.
    mccully but who knows.
    sanchez.


    Quote Quote  

  9. -119
    j-off-her-doll's Avatar
    Hall Of Famer

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Apr 2009
    Posts:
    8,346
    vCash:
    6360
    Loc:
    Dream Songs
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I would say don't underestimate Lesner. He's about as focused as they come. He's genuinely a mean, ill tempered person and really a machine.

    As sort of outside looking in on MMA (Not really invested in it. Too many wannabe jack offs running around here with Tapout gear and bald heads for me to want to associate with it) I can tell you what Lesner did at the end of the fight helped MMA a LOT. I have never heard of an MMA even being discussed on national sports radio for ONE whole day, not to mention TWO whole days. Lots of that was due to Lesner's antics.

    As he said; He is used to performing on VERY large stages and in the WWE he was generally a "heel", or the bad guy (As opposed to a "face", good guy). He just did what he was programed to do. The owner of MMA put a boot up his ***, and, rightly so, but Brock was just doing what he had to do. In the wrestling industry it's called "pop". "Pop" is crowd reaction. It can be cheers, or boos. Doesn't matter which. "Pop" is always good.

    Think about it. MMA fans will either want to see Lesner fight and win, or fight and get beat...Sort of like Bisping. Lesner's stuff may well start to bring in the sideline and fringe fans that bring money into the sport, as well as exposure. That's how you get ESPN pimping your product.

    I will admit I paid lots closer attention to MMA before and after this event. I'm paying closer attention now. I'm not on board completely yet, but, I can see myself edgeing closer.
    MMA is and has been walking a tightrope. You have some real fans that love the intricacies of the sport, then you have the idiots that buy into it on a WWF/WWE level. When criticizing the sport, ESPN writes it off as WWE freak show. What no one seems to realize is that MMA is simply the combination of the most effective fighting sports of the world. I saw someone - think it was 1 and 10 on First Take - say that if Frazier or Ali were fighting UFC fighters, they'd KO 'em in a few seconds. Of course, anyone who knows anything about fighting knows that either would get taken down and submitted within 20 seconds. A great boxer will lose to an average MMA fighter in a "fight" (boxing is not fighting) 99 times out of 100. Even great K1 fighters (much closer to fighting than boxing) struggle to transition to MMA. Look at the current UFC champions: All (Machida, Silva, GSP, Penn) but Lesnar are BJJ Black Belts, and with the exception of Penn BJJ is not the most dynamic aspect of any of the aforementioned fighters' games. Machida is a dominant striker, and it seems it'll be a while before anyone figures out his Karate. By the way, he also has experience in Sumo. Anderson Silva is a world class Muay Thai fighter. GSP began primarily as a K1 type fighter, but he's evolved into a dominant wrestler - to the extent that he was invited to wrestle with Canada's team for the Olympics.

    To question the legitimacy of the sport is pure bigotry. But, it happens. And, back to the tightrope, Lesnar's antics don't help promote legitimacy. If it gets people to ACTUALLY discuss the sport, then I'll be glad, but as of yet, people don't discuss MMA. They just say, "I don't get it," and "It's not legitimate like Boxing."

    By the way, I like Boxing - it's an aspect of MMA.
    Quote Quote  

  10. -120
    GoonBoss's Avatar
    Finheaven Templar

    Status:
    Offline
    WPA:
    Join date:
    Feb 2005
    Posts:
    19,236
    vCash:
    13465
    Loc:
    The Crossroads of TX
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by j-off-her-doll View Post
    MMA is and has been walking a tightrope. You have some real fans that love the intricacies of the sport, then you have the idiots that buy into it on a WWF/WWE level. When criticizing the sport, ESPN writes it off as WWE freak show. What no one seems to realize is that MMA is simply the combination of the most effective fighting sports of the world. I saw someone - think it was 1 and 10 on First Take - say that if Frazier or Ali were fighting UFC fighters, they'd KO 'em in a few seconds. Of course, anyone who knows anything about fighting knows that either would get taken down and submitted within 20 seconds. A great boxer will lose to an average MMA fighter in a "fight" (boxing is not fighting) 99 times out of 100. Even great K1 fighters (much closer to fighting than boxing) struggle to transition to MMA. Look at the current UFC champions: All (Machida, Silva, GSP, Penn) but Lesnar are BJJ Black Belts, and with the exception of Penn BJJ is not the most dynamic aspect of any of the aforementioned fighters' games. Machida is a dominant striker, and it seems it'll be a while before anyone figures out his Karate. By the way, he also has experience in Sumo. Anderson Silva is a world class Muay Thai fighter. GSP began primarily as a K1 type fighter, but he's evolved into a dominant wrestler - to the extent that he was invited to wrestle with Canada's team for the Olympics.

    To question the legitimacy of the sport is pure bigotry. But, it happens. And, back to the tightrope, Lesnar's antics don't help promote legitimacy. If it gets people to ACTUALLY discuss the sport, then I'll be glad, but as of yet, people don't discuss MMA. They just say, "I don't get it," and "It's not legitimate like Boxing."

    By the way, I like Boxing - it's an aspect of MMA.
    Oh don't get me wrong. I have the upmost respect for MMA fighters. Only an idiot would compare WWE to MMA. For one, MMA is real righting, while WWE is athletic entertainment. It's sort of like the idiots that say.."Oh Pro Wrestling is fake." No **** sherlock....Next you're going to tell me James Bond movies aren't real.

    Lesner helped MMA wether you want to believe it or not. He went into performance mode, and, said what he said. then, the owner slaped him down. C'mon dude, that's drama. There is nothing wrong with your product being entertaining on different levels. Comon man...He was great. Defiant, going against the main sponsor, talking about getting on his wife (Which I thought was pretty cool actually. An athlete wanting to go home after and get with his wife instead of go party with hookers...Imagine.)

    Ali was a showman. Jorge Piaz was a showman. Heck, even Tyson was to a degree. Camcho was a showman. Sugar Ray leonard...The list goes on for boxing. Thier sound bytes and antics did bring people into the sport, or at least raise the exposure level.

    The quickest way for a sport to maintain it's place as nothing but only a fringe group wants to talk about is for people to go all "I've got a stick up my ***" about anything but the product.

    Some MMA fans will say that they are fine with this, but, they are the first ones to complain that MMA isn't getting covered.

    Tell me...How do you expect people to take an interest in MMA? It's sure not talking to the jerkoffs in Tapout gear that make your eyelids roll back into your head in boredom, then regard you as stupid, or get all pissy when you don't get what he's saying because it's completely over your head.

    How would you get a non football fan interested in football?
    -Step 1. Make it fun and exciting. Have characters and drama.
    -Step 2. Once they are hooked, start explaining only the basics. Stress a couple of basic concepts, then, walk them through the game pointing out how those concepts are applied.
    -Step 3. Start gradually increaseing the knowledge of the sport.

    You don't break a non football fan into an appreciation of football by trying to explain the Walsh coaching tree and the West Coast Offense. You start them by getting them into the concept, then, explaining the basic positions and what they do..Then, how you score, etc. The main key is to get them drawn into the concept.

    The guy that can do that is Brock Lessner. Like it or not, people that like pro wrestling are a young adult male demo, with lots of disposable income. Watch WWE some night and look at the sponsors. Video games...Energy drinks..Fast food...Pizza... It's not that hard to connect the dots.
    Quote Quote  

Similar Threads

  1. spoiler alert...........miami draft
    By enduro in forum SPAM
    Replies: 61
    Last Post: 04-25-2013, 09:34 PM
  2. spoiler alert...........miami draft
    By enduro in forum Miami Dolphins Forum
    Replies: 61
    Last Post: 04-25-2013, 09:34 PM
  3. Replies: 92
    Last Post: 03-30-2012, 01:02 PM
  4. guess what? the official spoiler thread
    By Wildbill3 in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 05-03-2010, 11:32 PM
  5. Spoiler Alert! Deep AFC East will challenge Tom Brady
    By MDFINFAN in forum Miami Dolphins Forum
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 06-06-2009, 05:27 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •