Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Important Announcement! - Read this about new forum

1. -31
    Now completely imaginary

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Elsewhere
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Originally posted by fin-atic
    The move was made in response to all the whining about "Fieder Bashing". The whiners compained enough that the change happened.
    I think you've missed the mark here, fin-atic. The Fiedler "Huggers" seemed to start more threads than the "Bashers" (and you won't see me using those terms anymore). Far more. It was just as big or bigger part of the a problem.

This move wasn't made because of one side or the other. It was a reaction to all sides. It was because #1) some of us can't exercise tact #2) It made this forum almost one-dimensional.

You may not have a problem with it. You might not mind wading thru it all. But it appears that the majority of people did.....and stopped visiting/posting...or sharply decreased. I don't know about you, but I don't want our readership to decrease.

As stated in the subtext of that forum, we really didn't want to do this. But we didn't want things to continue the way they were either. Those other boards can think whatever they like. I personally have no interest in them because they're too rowdy for my taste. That atmosphere is unappealing to me. They allow smack on the main forum. They let things go further much than we do.

IMO, those are typical message boards. And that's not the dynamic we're after. We are not a typical message board. And I like to think that has something to do with why...in your own words...."no one ever goes to the other forums. Not in any volume."

I'm sorry you feel you the way you about this. I really wish we could please everyone, all the time. But you and I know that's just not possible. We aren't trying to persecute or censor anybody. The last thing we want to do is increase our workload just for the heck of it. As if this job isn't time-consuming enough already. We made this move because we feel it will benefit us overall and make for a more enjoyable experience.

I appreciate and respect your thoughts and views, and the fact that you care so much.
    Quote Quote  

2. -32
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    NJ
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I agree 100% with fin-atic. I think having the ability to talk about the problems this team has is very important. Right now Jay is a big problem we are Dolphin fans and at this point in the season this is our issue. I will go out on a limb here and say that most would agree our O is........well not good, but to take away the ability to discuss this by moving any topic that involves Jay makes no sense.

What are we to talk about that wont make more work for the MODS or offend "some" members? Maybe with being a member you should send a hand book on forum edict becuase it is getting hard to talk about football without having someone (MODS) stepping in and flexing authority. I have not read anything on this site that is beyond reason, some harsh childish remarks yes, but thats about it so to go to this extreme is a bit over the top.
    Quote Quote  

3. -33
    Now completely imaginary

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Elsewhere
    Thanks / No Thanks
    It's not like you can't mention Fiedler's name in a thread. Or even make a point in a thead. But if the thread is solely about Jay or becomes that way, you know the rest.
    Quote Quote  

4. -34
    Bon vivant

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Illinois
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Since when does moving = deleting or filtering?
    Quote Quote  

5. -35
    Run to Daylight

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Wow. Great great post Muck. Would like to hear Finatic's retort.
    Quote Quote  

6. -36
    FinHeaven Lives

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Atlanta, GA
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Look, this is in no way a step toward censorship. If we really wanted to do that (which we wouldn't) then why did we create a forum that anyone can access? If we wanted to, we could have easily deleted the threads and that's that. But we didn't, we chose to allow the debates go on.

In our opinion, the great Fiedler debate was taking over the rest of the forum. There would be 20 threads, and 15 of them would be solely on Fiedler. That meant that other discussions were not being viewed... And, more and more people tired of the debate were getting frustrated. It is a problem to weed through threads to find something you're interested in. Surely, you could look over one or two threads or posts... but when it starts to overwhelm the site... action should be taken... IMO...

Also, as Muck pointed out... we're not your typical message boards. When I first came online, the majority of forums back then had one or two forums, and everything was allowed. To me, it was total chaos. I could never find the discussion I started, because it would be several pages back.

Thus is one reason, out of many, that I started the forums. Thus is also why they are run the way they are now. To me, and to many others on the board, they appreciate having seperate forums for different topics of interest... in order to keep the forums well organized. We do not try and censor things, we simply move it to the appropriate place.

Now, as said... you can mention Fiedler or whatever in a thread; however, if that posts leads to a HUGE debate and never get's back on track, it will be split into the Fiedler thread. The mods and I will try and get it back on track... but if not, as said, it will be split.

I hope everyone understands... sorry for being to the point... but I'm at school... and now I'm getting something to eat...

Thanks...

Sincerely,
    Andrew Tatum
    AJ Tatum

"If carrots got you drunk, rabbits would be messed up."
    - Mitch Hedberg
    Quote Quote  

7. -37
    Help save our Reefs ~ www.ReefCheck.org

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Tampa
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Originally posted by DOLPHAN1
    it speaks volumes that a seperate thread had to be made for this....
    Not ripping the site or Mods....
    This site is great and eveyone does a great job giving us a forum to discuss our team.

This decision I do not understand however.

Any time there is a debate on any player is there going to be a seperate forum?

Start the OL forum now and the Chris Chambers forum now since there are threads debating these players as well.

What's the difference?

Because this is one of the hottest topics in Dolphin football right now it has to be removed..... :goof:
    Last edited by Coral Reefer; 10-14-2003 at 01:48 PM.
    Quote Quote  

8. -38
    Bon vivant

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Illinois
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Originally posted by Trekbiz
    Because this is one of the hottest topics in Dolphin football right now it has to be removed..... :goof:
    No ... not removed ... moved.

Originally posted by FinHeavenAJ
    In our opinion, the great Fiedler debate was taking over the rest of the forum. There would be 20 threads, and 15 of them would be solely on Fiedler.
    This pretty well explains it ...
    Quote Quote  

9. -39
    Are you a VIP?

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    South Florida
    Thanks / No Thanks
    My retort is simple, I disagree. As many times as this forum has been saturated with Fiedler threads at various points I don't understand the need to change things now. I know you as Mods don't consider it filtering our censorship. But the fact is the other forums get a fraction of the traffic as the main forum does. To remove discussion about what is arguably the hottest topic in Dolphin football right now just doesn't seem right. What are you trying to move it to get to? It seems to be what people want to talk about.

Whatever. I am not hostile about this. It just seems that everyone is reacting because a few people started to threaten to leave the board and were complaining. As illustrated above and I am sure more than what is represented, there are many who believe I have a vallid point.

By the way I gladly defend this board on the other sites. My point was not to say we should be like them. My point is moderation is good, but in Moderation. Sometimes we can be so influenced by a few select that we get away from what a forum is supposed to be about.

So I am done with it. I have had my say, and the Mods have made their decision. I am disappointed though.

I am moving on to New England. I just hope Jay throws for more than 150...JUST KIDDING!!!!
    BREAKING NEWS ALL OFFSEASON LONG!
    FOLLOW FINHEAVEN ON TWITTER!

Quote Quote  

10. -40
    Now completely imaginary

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Elsewhere
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Originally posted by Trekbiz

Any time there is a debate on any player is there going to be a seperate forum?

Start the OL forum now and the Chris Chambers forum now since there are threads debating these players as well.

What's the difference?

With all due respect, I don't see the OL or Chris Chambers debates dominating the forums.....or causing such heated discussion or turmoil.
    Quote Quote