Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Newsweek: The End of Christian America

1. -1
    Waterlogged

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    orlando
    Thanks / No Thanks

Newsweek: The End of Christian America

Quote Quote  

2. -2
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Good article.

The coalition of the silent majority is aging and dying off, and if speak to a number of young people, the number of atheists and "agnostics" continues to increase.
    Quote Quote  

3. -3
    Finheaven Hall of Fame

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Chandler, Arizona
    Thanks / No Thanks
    An interesting read. I was born and raised a Catholic, and I haven't set foot in a church in three years. It's not that I'm anti-religion, I'm just anti-church. Going to church is something I always HATED while growing up. I could think of better things to do with the hour that was usually wasted in church.
    Quote Quote  

4. -4
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Florida
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by WaywardZest View Post
    Good article.

The coalition of the silent majority is aging and dying off, and if speak to a number of young people, the number of atheists and "agnostics" continues to increase.
    I believe a decrease in church attendance is truly a bad thing, which will only make our nation's social problems increase.

Young and old people need to have a strong spiritual faith and foundation in God. One of the direct causes for the moral decay we see is from people turning away from God.
    1972 Miami Dolphins - "Perfection"
    Quote Quote  

5. -5
    Why is there a watermelon there?

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    No matter where I go, there I am.
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jared81 View Post

As I picked on others for this, so I must pick on you. When you post a link, could you please either copy a section of text, or a synopsis of the text, so as to give an idea of the story behind the link....beyond just the title? Thanks.
    - "What do we mean by the defeat of the enemy? Simply the destruction of his forces, whether by death, injury, or any other means -- either completely or enough to make him stop fighting. . . . ."-Carl von Clausewitz-
    Quote Quote  

6. -6
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by X-Pacolypse View Post
    An interesting read. I was born and raised a Catholic, and I haven't set foot in a church in three years. It's not that I'm anti-religion, I'm just anti-church. Going to church is something I always HATED while growing up. I could think of better things to do with the hour that was usually wasted in church.
    I think that is the trend. America is unique among Western countries in how public we are about our religious convictions. The majority of Europeans and Canadians are Christian, albeit at lower totals than we are, but it is much more of a private matter to them.
    Quote Quote  

7. -7
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolphin39 View Post
    I believe a decrease in church attendance is truly a bad thing, which will only make our nation's social problems increase.

Young and old people need to have a strong spiritual faith and foundation in God. One of the direct causes for the moral decay we see is from people turning away from God.
    Why are you so friendly to authoritarianism?

Why can't you live a life where homosexuality is discouraged, abortion is shunned, and alcohol use and gambling is outside the realm of your family? Why isn't that enough for you? Why do you have to control the lives of other people?

I think this little minute and a half video explains it all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1ye4wkAiG0
    Quote Quote  

8. -8
    Finheaven Hall of Fame

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Chandler, Arizona
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Why are you so friendly to authoritarianism?

Why can't you live a life where homosexuality is discouraged, abortion is shunned, and alcohol use and gambling is outside the realm of your family? Why isn't that enough for you? Why do you have to control the lives of other people?

I think this little minute and a half video explains it all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1ye4wkAiG0
    That clip was awesome, and yet so true. Society's problems come from an ever increasing lack of common sense. Not because less and less people are going to church.
    Quote Quote  

9. -9
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    New York
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Good article.

This is the second time I have seen you express some level of criticism, qualification or otherwise question agnosticism. I am curious about your thoughts on the subject.

I don't know what to call myself other then a spiritual seeker, but I find agnosticism to be very compelling. just so you know where I cam coming from.
    Quote Quote  

10. -10
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Marino613 View Post
    This is the second time I have seen you express some level of criticism, qualification or otherwise question agnosticism. I am curious about your thoughts on the subject.

I don't know what to call myself other then a spiritual seeker, but I find agnosticism to be very compelling. just so you know where I cam coming from.
    Here is my problem with agnosticism, and if I am misrepresenting you or the idea, please correct me. The entire philosophy of agnosticism is that we do not know and there is no way to know, correct?

While some of our more religious members would disagree, there is no way to show empirical evidence one way or another. To me, agnosticism is really a form of atheism. Again, religious people would disagree with this, but atheism covers essentially the same thing. For the most part, we don't go out into the streets and scream that we know the answers. We don't know the answers, so we do not believe. Some have tried to say that not believing is a form of belief, but that does not simply work. Not believing in your child's imaginary friend is not a belief system, but a lack of a belief system. An atheist is not trying to claim a universal truth, but instead admit that they do not know and are unconvinced by the arguments of religious organizations. If agnostics are also unconvinced, I see them fitting more correctly in the realm of atheism.

Dawkins explained it a lot better in The God Delusion.

I see the term thrown around as a way to try and be non-controversial, and for some, a certain trendiness among the young. This does not apply to everyone, obviously, but it seems similar to Ron Paul-ism today and Buddhism a few years ago.
    Quote Quote