Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now

Thread: hey question for my hardcore gamers..

1. -1
    G.O.A.T

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks

hey question for my hardcore gamers..

Do you guys feel that video games are an escape from reality? u know for whenever u play is that wat u feel and wat do u think about an obsession in todays youth with video games
    Quote Quote  

2. -2
    G.O.A.T

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    any feedback would be great im using it for a paper im writing thanks.
    Quote Quote  

3. -3
    Pat White Project

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Utah
    Thanks / No Thanks
    For me they are not an escape from reality, I don't find myself drawn into the world of the game that I'm playing, but at the same time I'm not considered "today's youth" (I'm 28).
    Quote Quote  

4. -4
    Scout Team

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Boone, NC
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Don't know if this is too late or not for your paper, but heregoes anyway.

It really depends on what game it is that I'm playing at the time. For RPGs, I find myself (usually, if it's a good story) getting drawn into the world of the characters, thus offering some form of escapism. If I the characters and story are good, I find myself "caring" for those characters and that world. Not caring in a sense like I care for friends and family, but a different sort of caring. I'm sure you understand what I'm getting at here. "Lost Odyssey" is a great, recent example of this. Others might reference a certain scene at the end of disc 1 in Final Fantasy 7, but I didn't really care about that person because I hardly ever used her. It's not just RPGs that have this quality.

Many single-player-centric games try to pull this off. I may not care for the people or the world as much, but I still develop a certain "friendship" with my characters. GTA games are a recent example of this. And also, sometimes I may not really care about the protagonist in a game, but find myself hating the antagonist. Halo is an example of this for me. I remember, and still do, hating the monitor in the original Halo. That little blue ******* really ticked me off for some reason.

For other games, such as sports games or music games or online-centric games, I play them because they're fun, and because it gives me a chance to interact with friends. I don't live near many of my friends, so online gaming is our way of hanging out. One of my best friends is someone I met playing RTCW on the original xbox, and we've been friends since.

So, for me, it's not really escapism, but instead gaming is, for me, fun, and a way to keep in touch with friends. It can lead to escapism for certain games, but there seem to be very few of those nowadays.

I, also, can't speak much on the obsession of today's youth, as I am 25, almost 26, now. But I will say that gaming nowadays seems like a more accessible sport of sorts for the kids who can't quite make the team. For me, I'm a decent football player, suck at basketball, fairly good at baseball, but I could never make any team in high school. But, I've always been very good at almost any game I pick up and play for any period of time. There seem to be a lot of people out there like me, that, while we don't take these games super serious, we still take them seriously enough to get great at them, almost to the point of mastery.

With today's shift in the view of gaming (from a nerdy hobby to a casual hobby, where almost every home in America has some sort of gaming device), people can more easily identify with the skill it takes to be good at these games. Take music games like Rock Band and Guitar Hero for example. They are huge right now, and people can respect the skill it takes to play on expert on those games, even if they know very little/nothing about the game. So people can get obsessive about being "the best" at these games. The same thing goes for almost any other type of game, but this was just an example.

Anyway, hope this helps a little. Sorry it might be sort of long-winded.
    Quote Quote  

5. -5
    Rookie

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I really really enjoy a good first person shooter or racing game. Whatever game is out or coming out with the next best graphics I want to play, especially crisis, call of duty 4 Gran turismo 5, need for speed prostreet killzone 2 and on. However I struggle almost every day arguing with my father about what is gained from playing a video game. I agree that it makes very little sense to spend time playing a game when I have plenty of real things to work on in my life and about my person. However I can't get rid of this want to escape from reality and enjoy an alternate one where I can be free to be hostile and capable of things that Im not in reality. I'm not addicted, I rarely get to play a video game because I am quite busy and I have no method of playing them anymore but my desire to experience the full HD quality of a game which simulates going at 160 miles per hour is extremely hard to ignore, especially when I see the games as more than an escape but as an art form.
    Quote Quote  

6. -6
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    VA
    Thanks / No Thanks
    yes, they are an escape from the dulldrums of life.

if i were to go a 7 people kill streak, and release my hounds

in real life,

i would most certainly pay dearly for it.
    Quote Quote  

7. -7
    Rookie

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    escape from reality? lol... I wouldn't advise you to play it but World of Warcraft? lol..
    Quote Quote