Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should Obama Control the Internet?

1. -1
    follow me at @moejo31

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    ALABAMA
    Thanks / No Thanks

Should Obama Control the Internet?

Should President Obama have the power to shut down domestic Internet traffic during a state of emergency?
    Senators John Rockefeller (D-W. Va.) and Olympia Snowe (R-Maine) think so. On Wednesday they introduced a bill to establish the Office of the National Cybersecurity Advisor—an arm of the executive branch that would have vast power to monitor and control Internet traffic to protect against threats to critical cyber infrastructure. That broad power is rattling some civil libertarians.

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/...ntrol-internet

tell the white house how u feel about this

http://www.whitehouse.gov/CONTACT/
    Quote Quote  

2. -2
    Rookie

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    A very dangerous precedent could be set if this gets passed. Let's hope it doesn't. I wonder how they define "state of emergency"
    Quote Quote  

3. -3
    Waterlogged

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    orlando
    Thanks / No Thanks
    reading the title, i thought no way, but when i read the article, it would have to be only in a state of emergency.
    Quote Quote  

4. -4
    Rookie

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    It's giving way too much power to one person, and on top of that here's another little gem

The bill does not only add to the power of the president. It also grants the Secretary of Commerce "access to all relevant data concerning [critical] networks without regard to any provision of law, regulation, rule, or policy restricting such access." This means he or she can monitor or access any data on private or public networks without regard to privacy laws.
    No way, no thanks.
    Quote Quote  

5. -5
    Desert Dolphin

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Tucson, Arizona
    Thanks / No Thanks
    The POTUS has the authority to stop all Air Traffic during an State of Emergency. Shutting down the Internet to avoid cyber attacks would certainly fall into that same category.

But it does raise some eyebrows doesn't it?

Players come and go, but I will always be a Miami Dolphins Fan first and foremost.

Quote Quote  

6. -6
    Rookie

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolphan7 View Post
    The POTUS has the authority to stop all Air Traffic during an State of Emergency. Shutting down the Internet to avoid cyber attacks would certainly fall into that same category.

But it does raise some eyebrows doesn't it?
    It does, but the main difference is that the physical state of emergencies are clearly defined. This bill does not define what a "critical information network"is and more importantly, does not define what a "cyber security emergency"is. Both definitions would be left at the hands of the President.
    Quote Quote  

7. -7
    Finheaven is king!!!

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by n9necount View Post
    It does, but the main difference is that the physical state of emergencies are clearly defined. This bill does not define what a "critical information network"is and more importantly, does not define what a "cyber security emergency"is. Both definitions would be left at the hands of the President.
    Which in turn says he can shut it down whenever he pleases.

Just another step toward King Obama. :flames:

Quote Quote  

8. -8
    Desert Dolphin

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Tucson, Arizona
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by n9necount View Post
    Cyber threats are not as easy to determine as a direct attack like 911. It is vague no doubt and probably needs better definition.
    Quote Quote  

9. -9
    Defender of the Truth

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    If shutting down the internet was meant to halt the spread of a malicious computer virus that was going to destroy our defense mainframe...or destroy our financial mainframe...or any other system that could result in the loss of life, then I would say, yea ok.

But to shut it just to stop the flow of information...I don't think so. The internet was the only means of information I had available to me during 9/11 since I had no cable television at my unit at Fort Sill. Had the internet been shut down during that national state of emergency, I would have had no idea what was going on.

I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.
    -Winston Churchill

All things being equal, when you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.
    -Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
    Quote Quote  

10. -10
    Reach for the Stars

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Maryland
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Dark_Knight View Post
    If shutting down the internet was meant to halt the spread of a malicious computer virus that was going to destroy our defense mainframe...or destroy our financial mainframe...or any other system that could result in the loss of life, then I would say, yea ok.

But to shut it just to stop the flow of information...I don't think so. The internet was the only means of information I had available to me during 9/11 since I had no cable television at my unit at Fort Sill. Had the internet been shut down during that national state of emergency, I would have had no idea what was going on.
    This is a hard one, since the defense has measures to stop compromise, the only other thing would be a virus that attacked every computer outside of the Defense of the country, that would cripple us financially, since just abou every company, big and small work over the internet in some capacity. Thread would have to be defind as outside of the physical USA and coming in, or within America.. If it's coming from outside, we just shut the lines down that connect us to the rest of the world, but still have functionality within the US...but if it's from within America.. we have big problems.. this may make them rethink how to grid the internet, maybe shutting off parts of the country as necessary.
    Quote Quote