Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: November Rain: The most ridiculous song ever?

1. -1
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks

November Rain: The most ridiculous song ever?

Discuss.
    Quote Quote  

2. -2
    More Smug than Birthday Dog

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by WaywardZest View Post
    Discuss.
    I like it...

Quote Quote  

3. -3
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    miami, fl
    Thanks / No Thanks
    i like it too

Quote Quote  

4. -4
    Finheaven Templar

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    The Crossroads of TX
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I fail to see how it's ridiculous. It's not "The Wall" by any stretch, but it fits in the mold of the power ballad of the time. It more or less talks about how hard it is for the singer to show emotion and to put himself on the line even as the erstwhile couple is together, and, how he understands that she feels the same way. The use of "November rain" as an illustrative device is just for gloomy mental snapshot I think....A song about pain, emotion, and impending loss is better titled "November Rain" than say...."April Showers", I think.

Quote Quote  

5. -5
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I am not saying it is a bad song. The reason I brought it up was because I was listening to it, in fact. My point is how absurd some of the choices are. What made the band so big was that they were playing stripped down rock music when the hair metal bands were being theatrical, and in the course of a few years, they became a parody of what they originally stood in opposition to.

Seriously, listen to the song. Do you not laugh when the flute comes in at the beginning of the song? It sounds like something Spinal Tap would have used to make fun of those bands.
    Quote Quote  

6. -6
    Finheaven Templar

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    The Crossroads of TX
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by WaywardZest View Post
    I am not saying it is a bad song. The reason I brought it up was because I was listening to it, in fact. My point is how absurd some of the choices are. What made the band so big was that they were playing stripped down rock music when the hair metal bands were being theatrical, and in the course of a few years, they became a parody of what they originally stood in opposition to.

Seriously, listen to the song. Do you not laugh when the flute comes in at the beginning of the song? It sounds like something Spinal Tap would have used to make fun of those bands.
    I don't really think the flute choice was a bad one. The use of an insturment that is theoreticly removed from a certain style isn't a bad one necessarally. For instance, Flogging Molly uses a banjo in "Drunken Lullabies"...Its not really a good fit with a pseudo punk band, but it works, I think. November Rain has a swirling, smooth feel to it, which most GnR songs at the time didn't, so, I think the flute was a valid enough choice for that particular song. It's not like the flute is unprecidented. Jethro Tull springs to mind.

If you want to make a point that GnR did a style departure, that's valid, but, it's not like what they did wasn't commercial in the first place. And don't underestimate GnR theatrics......If your lead guitarist's name is..."Slash" ....Well, that's a theatrical, gimmicky move.

I mean, who could make a go of it in Rock with a name like Kieth Richards or Bryan Jones? Surely Eddie Van Halen has no shot, Jimmy Paige? C'mon now..that's just crazy talk.
    Quote Quote  

7. -7
    Waterlogged

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    orlando
    Thanks / No Thanks
    i admit that i like november rain, good music video......on a side note, there are very few GNR songs i dont like.
    Quote Quote  

8. -8
    Finheaven Hall of Fame

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Chandler, Arizona
    Thanks / No Thanks
    It's not my favorite GNR song, but I like it nonetheless.
    Quote Quote  

9. -9
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Orlando,FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Yeah that song is the perfect example of the excess that Axl seems to love. While I don't mind the song, I usually just fast forward to the end when Slash's guitar solo kicks in. Great guitar work.

An interesting tidbit (possibly? ), according to Slash in his autobiography, there was no orchestra during the recording of that song. It was all Axl on a synthesizer.

Have you hear Chinese Democracy yet? There are about 4 or 5 decent songs. One that closely resembles November Rain in tone and structure is There was a Time, I personally love the song. It has amazing guitar playing by....whichever of the 10 million guitarists Axl has on that Frankenstein monster of an album.
    Quote Quote  

10. -10
    Wade... to the Moon.

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    South Florida
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Its a Ballad. A great one.
    Thanks to SpurzN703 for the A.M. Crew logo
    Quote Quote