Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: MERGED: Graham Blog: Dolphins clear winners in Satele/Grove Swap

1. -1
    FinHeaven Administrator

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    120 mi west of Costa Rica
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Jurassic World2013 Dolphins Logo

MERGED: Graham Blog: Dolphins clear winners in Satele/Grove Swap

In his latest entry on the New York Times' football blog "The Fifth Down," Joyner provides an informative look at decisions the Miami Dolphins made at center.

The Dolphins signed Oakland Raiders free agent Jake Grove and later traded young starter Samson Satele to the Raiders for a sixth-round draft pick.

Joyner views the switch as a distinct upgrade for the Dolphins even though they parted with Satele, who started all 32 of his NFL games after being drafted with the second-round pick acquired when the Dolphins trades Wes Welker to the New England Patriots.

Joyner determined Satele won 79.5 percent of his point-of-attack blocks, a respectable figure. But his numbers plummeted against big 3-4 nose tackles.

The Dolphins face behemoths Kris Jenkins of the New York Jets and Vince Wilfork of the New England Patriots twice a year. Marcus Stroud, a defensive tackle in the Buffalo Bills' 4-3 defense, is no slouch either.

Joyner points out the Dolphins averaged 5.4 rushing yards per attempt, but he computed numbers against Jenkins and Wilfork that halved that output.

Grove, on the other hand, won 90.6 percent of his point-of-attack blocks.
    http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afceast

Not only did we get the better center, but also a 6th round pick and moved up in the 4th round.

I was originally disappointed in the value we received for Satele, but at the end of the day we improved the position and gained draft picks.
    Last edited by Nublar7; 04-21-2009 at 11:34 AM.

Quote Quote  

2. -2
    Moon Runner / The 3 AM Crew

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I watched how Haloti Ngata of the Ravens threw Satele around in the playoffs, and I think it resulted in Pennington having to rush his passes and a couple of INT's in our playoff loss. I just think Satele doesn't have the overall size and long enough arms to be able to deal with bigger faster NT's and DT's. I doubt Grove will get pushed around like this. I wish Satele well and he will be a little closer to Hawaii in his new job.
    Quote Quote  

3. -3
    Just a Dolphins Fan

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Central NJ
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Great find.
    Quote Quote  

4. -4
    Premium Member

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Tampa, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    This confirms about what I thought which is that Satele was not a bad Center but they just like Grove more.
    Twitter: @ckparrot
    Quote Quote  

5. -5
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    O-town
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ckparrothead View Post
    This confirms about what I thought which is that Satele was not a bad Center but they just like Grove more.
    Is that not what Sparano has been saying all along about the signing of Grove and the trade of Satele. They felt Grove was an upgrade over Satele and that is why the moves were made.
    Quote Quote  

6. -6
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Grove supposedly won 90 percent of POA -- but he also didn't face Jenkins, Wilfork and Stroud 6x last season.

Wait until ole' Grover faces this level of competition AND stays healthy doing it before you ring up one in the WIN column. Satele was as tough as they come. None tougher. He would have gotten better this year.

True, he doesn't possess prototypical center size but he's no slouch.

And I just like it when people are smart enough to compare apples w. apples and not be inveterate homers.

LD
    Quote Quote  

7. -7
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Tampa Fl
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ckparrothead View Post

We still basically got Lorenzo Booker type trade value for a guy that started since a rookie.
    When death smiles upon you, the Infantry man smiles back. WV says Im not a patriot and Jeff Ireland is a Boss so it must be true.
    Quote Quote  

8. -8
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Rhode Island
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LDaniel7 View Post
    Grove supposedly won 90 percent of POA -- but he also didn't face Jenkins, Wilfork and Stroud 6x last season.

Wait until ole' Grover faces this level of competition AND stays healthy doing it before you ring up one in the WIN column. Satele was as tough as they come. None tougher. He would have gotten better this year.

True, he doesn't possess prototypical center size but he's no slouch.

And I just like it when people are smart enough to compare apples w. apples and not be inveterate homers.

LD
    It doesn't matter how tough you are. It matters how good you are. And Grove did face Jenkins and Wilfork and he handled them qhite well.
    Quote Quote  

9. -9
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Castle Rock, CO
    Thanks / No Thanks
    90 percent of the time he was on the field.... injury time needs to be accounted for, and Grove hasn't always been on the field. I like his potential, but he's got some proving to do.
    Quote Quote  

10. -10
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    mexico city
    Thanks / No Thanks
    lets hope Grove plays the hole year, i still dont like the change to be honest
    Quote Quote