Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Oh Canada, Yeahhhhhh!!!

1. -11
    FinHeaven Elite

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    arkansas
    Thanks / No Thanks

uhhh nope!

the origin of basketball was started my the mayans, in mexico. they played a crude form of the game, only you couldn't use your hands. you had to kick the ball through a hoop.
    the losing captain had his head cut off, which explains why the game never caught on until revised to modern standards.
    Quote Quote  

2. -12
    The Big Zonk

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Would you say the origin of football was started by whoever invented Rugby?
    Quote Quote  

3. -13
    FinHeaven Elite

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    arkansas
    Thanks / No Thanks

oh yeah,

the hoop was vertical, instead of horizontal!
    Quote Quote  

4. -14
    FinHeaven Elite

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    arkansas
    Thanks / No Thanks

yes i would!

Originally posted by Blitz
    Would you say the origin of football was started by whoever invented Rugby?
    there are alot of sports that are actually related, football is related to soccer also.
    but in no way is football as rough as australian football. they wear no pads!
    Quote Quote  

5. -15
    Waterlogged

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    On an island
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Basketball was invented by a Canadian in Springfield, Mass. where the Hall of Fame is. As for Hockey, I said it is a joke in the USA because it is. I live in a city that has 3 Hockey teams within a 45 minute drive and no one here cares about any of them. The Devils play right across the river from Manhattan in Jersey and they can't sell out a Stanley Cup finals game. I know the sport is more popular in Colorado and Barfalo, but it has a weak following in most areas of the United States. I was in Toronto a few years ago and I went to the Hockey Hall of Fame and it was pretty cool. I don't hate hockey but I am not a big fan of it, and the NHL is really really boring. Olympic hockey is a lot better. And basketball is now becoming more popular in other countries. It is starting to grow a following in Spain (second best league after the NBA), Canada, China, Germany, and those Yugoslavian countries (it is second most popular there after soccer.) In Spain espicially, it is becoming big. Their league is growing and they are starting to get a lot of fans. Basketball worldwide has a lot more fans than hockey.
    Quote Quote  

6. -16
    Adam the Quarterback

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks

Re: I love the U.S.

Originally posted by dolfan25

"Basketball is a very popular sport worldwide, especially in China. Most importantly, it is the only sport completely invented in the USA."

That's funny booyeah, did you know that Dr. James Naismith was a Canadian living in Massachusetts so basketball was invented in the mind of a Canadian.I love basketball and enjoy the NBA and it is actually a more popular sport worldwide than Hockey but obviously people in Africa and South America can't play hockey, plus hockey is not a cheap sport to play.Basketball is especially popular in Mediterranean(sp) countries of Europe, Italy, Spain, Greece. It's just that attending an NBA game is somewhat of a joke, the focus has been taken away a lot from the game. I'm sure basketball purists think the same way and a lot of them seem to enjoy College Basketball more than the NBA.
    I knew that Naismith was a Canadian, but notice how I said the sport was invented in America. I never said by an American.

Check out this site to learn some interesting information on Dr. James Naismith and what gave him some ideas while inventing the game of basketball.

http://collections.ic.gc.ca/naismith/faq/faq.htm

Did you know this?:
    And in 1894, he introduced the football helmet for American Football.
    Quote Quote  

7. -17
    there are some that call me...Tim

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    18 miles from Memphis...
    Thanks / No Thanks

A Phin fan and a Pens fan...

miadphan13 I didn't watch any Olympic hockey, but I am happy for Mario! I have claimed the Penguins as my hockey team since 91, but still looking for guys down here that like hockey.
    you're breakin my heart!
    Quote Quote  

8. -18
    Adam the Quarterback

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks

Re: yes i would!

Originally posted by dolfan06
    there are alot of sports that are actually related, football is related to soccer also.
    but in no way is football as rough as australian football. they wear no pads!
    They wear no pads, but the players are skinny. Even with pads its not easy on the body to get hit by a 330 lb. DT.
    Quote Quote  

9. -19
    FinHeaven Cheerleader

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Orlando, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks

Re: A Phin fan and a Pens fan...

Originally posted by burghPhinFan
    you're breakin my heart!
    Well, it would have been cool for the USA to take the gold, but I have liked Mario and Jagr for a long time. Now Jagr has gone to the Capitals, but I still support the Penguins. Anyway, my ex-husband was from the Pittsburgh area (Washington) and loves the Steelers, Dolphins and Penguins. I have always loved the Dolphins, but I adopted his sports teams as well. Even though I don't like him anymore, I still like the Steelers and Penguins. Dolphins ALWAYS come first!
    ***Unleash the Killer DOLPHINS***
    Quote Quote  

10. -20
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Bay Area, California
    Thanks / No Thanks
    The Bills Suck

Quote Quote