Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: I have a question about Christianity

1. -1
    Winning is a Habit

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Flagstaff, Arizona
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Dolphin1972 Dolphins LogoJurassic WorldCam Wake 91

I have a question about Christianity

I have a general question about Christianity. Why is it that so many Christian based faiths feel the need to convert other non-Christians? Where I grew up we had a ton of members from the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints knocking on our doors and trying to get us to look at brochures and such. I am a man of faith, just not a Christian, and it always puzzled me why this happened. Anyone have an answer for me?

- Hall of Fame Safety Rod Woodson on Dan Marino playing in today's NFL:
    "...the best quarterback I believe is Dan Marino..."
    "If he played with these rules, he'd throw for 100,000 yards."

Twitter
    - https://twitter.com/ciscoholgate

Quote Quote  

2. -2
    More Smug than Birthday Dog

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Two things:
    1. Jesus told Christians to spread the gospel
    2. That would be pretty cold if I had a friend that really believed I was going to hell and never tried to save me from it. Thats why I dont mind Christians sharing their faith with me.

Quote Quote  

3. -3
    Gary Speed RIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Muslims are the same.

Actually I'm pretty sure its says in the Qur'an that Allah wishes to create a Muslim world. But not 100% sure.
    Quote Quote  

4. -4
    Desert Dolphin

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Tucson, Arizona
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ciscoholgate View Post
    I have a general question about Christianity. Why is it that so many Christian based faiths feel the need to convert other non-Christians? Where I grew up we had a ton of members from the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints knocking on our doors and trying to get us to look at brochures and such. I am a man of faith, just not a Christian, and it always puzzled me why this happened. Anyone have an answer for me?
    Jesus tells us in Matthew 28:
    All authority has been given to Me in heaven and on earth.
    MT 28:19 Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit,
    MT 28:20 teaching them to observe all that I commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age.
    This verse doesn't tell us how to do this, but other parts of the NT do. Walking door to door isn't really outlined in the bible, although some do it.

The door knockers are predominantly Jehovah Witness, or Mormon. We occasionally get a few people who are opening up a new church, but the ratio is about 50 to 1 that most door to door evangelizing is being done by the JW's or the Mormons. These are considered by many to be christian religions, and do actually share in many of the views and values of the bible, however they are considered christian cults in that they teach non-biblical truths. Removing eternal hell and removing the deity of Jesus Christ are the two biggest ones. I believe in Mormonism door to door evangelizing is part of their doctrine, on a voluntary basis, to go on a two year missionary journey. The JW I think is similar.

So if people like this are knocking on your door, please don't consider them to be christian, because they are not.

Players come and go, but I will always be a Miami Dolphins Fan first and foremost.

Quote Quote  

5. -5
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by emeraldfin View Post
    Muslims are the same.

Actually I'm pretty sure its says in the Qur'an that Allah wishes to create a Muslim world. But not 100% sure.
    I don't know the specifics, but they are supposed to, yea.

Islam and Christianity are unique in their desire to spread their religion. It is the main reason their numbers are so large. For the most part, Jews, Hindus, and Buddhists do not try and recruit new members.
    Quote Quote  

6. -6
    Gary Speed RIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    For a very quick rundown on Mormon belief, here is a good website.

http://listverse.com/bizarre/top-10-...ormon-beliefs/

Can easily say, not a religion for me
    Quote Quote  

7. -7
    Winning is a Habit

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Flagstaff, Arizona
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Thanks everyone for the insight. I know quite a bit about the Church of Latter Day Saints. Like I said I grew up in a small town and I had a lot of Morman friends. I have to tell you though, you may think it is like a cult, but Mormans are probably the nicest group of people I have ever met hands down. I have horses and cattle and often make journeys to the North in Utah and everyone there is nice and the places seems so safe. Seems like it would be a nice place to live.

Well I am Native American, Dine (Navajo) to be exact and I believe in Native American Church. I was just curious to hear a little about other peoples' beliefs and of course why is it that Christians often try to convert other people.

Also on a side note, the world's largest Christian converter has to be Catholics.
    Quote Quote  

8. -8
    Desert Dolphin

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Tucson, Arizona
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ciscoholgate View Post
    Thanks everyone for the insight. I know quite a bit about the Church of Latter Day Saints. Like I said I grew up in a small town and I had a lot of Morman friends. I have to tell you though, you may think it is like a cult, but Mormans are probably the nicest group of people I have ever met hands down. I have horses and cattle and often make journeys to the North in Utah and everyone there is nice and the places seems so safe. Seems like it would be a nice place to live.

Well I am Native American, Dine (Navajo) to be exact and I believe in Native American Church. I was just curious to hear a little about other peoples' beliefs and of course why is it that Christians often try to convert other people.

Also on a side note, the world's largest Christian converter has to be Catholics.
    Mormons are some of the nicest people I have ever met. That doesn't change the fact that the doctrine of the Mormon church is unbiblical. Nice people following the wrong religion. It happens.
    Quote Quote  

9. -9
    Winning is a Habit

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Flagstaff, Arizona
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolphan7 View Post
    Mormons are some of the nicest people I have ever met. That doesn't change the fact that the doctrine of the Mormon church is unbiblical. Nice people following the wrong religion. It happens.
    You're probably right, but I wouldn't know much about the bible.
    Quote Quote  

10. -10
    Rookie

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Using a Mormon or Jehovah's Witness as an example of Christianity probably isn't good. Most evangelicals, catholics and mainstream protestants do not believe Mormon's and JH are biblical.
    Quote Quote