Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now

Thread: Changes In The Sun Are Not Causing Global Warming, New Study Shows

1. -1
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Greensboro, NC
    Thanks / No Thanks

Changes In The Sun Are Not Causing Global Warming, New Study Shows

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0511122425.htm

ScienceDaily (May 12, 2009) With the U.S. Congress beginning to consider regulations on greenhouse gases, a troubling hypothesis about how the sun may impact global warming is finally laid to rest.

Carnegie Mellon University's Peter Adams along with Jeff Pierce from Dalhousie University in Halifax, Canada, have developed a model to test a controversial hypothesis that says changes in the sun are causing global warming.
    Adams and Pierce received a 100 million grant.:wink:
    Despite remaining questions, Adams and Pierce feel confident that this hypothesis should be laid to rest. "No computer simulation of something as complex as the atmosphere will ever be perfect," Adams said. "Proponents of the cosmic ray hypothesis will probably try to question these results, but the effect is so weak in our model that it is hard for us to see this basic result changing."
    Although the article's conclusion leads to a certain amount of obfuscation.
    Quote Quote  

2. -2
    The Truth (I promise)

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Gem State
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Terrible hypothesis. Just because cloud formation isn't affected by cosmic rays, does not preclude the sun from being the major contributor to global warming and cooling trends.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJNU2...eature=related
    2011 Boise State Football Preview Video!
    Quote Quote  

3. -3
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    West Palm Beach, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafiki View Post
    Terrible hypothesis. Just because cloud formation isn't affected by cosmic rays, does not preclude the sun from being the major contributor to global warming and cooling trends.

I am sure that the sun has been a major factor in major warming and cooling trends throughout the history of the earth. Although, don't you think all the CO2, Sulfur, and particile emissions have something to do with it? Maybe it could trap the heat in the lower parts of the atmosphere?
    Quote Quote  

4. -4
    The Truth (I promise)

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Gem State
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by steeda View Post
    I am sure that the sun has been a major factor in major warming and cooling trends throughout the history of the earth. Although, don't you think all the CO2, Sulfur, and particile emissions have something to do with it? Maybe it could trap the heat in the lower parts of the atmosphere?

Sure. The greenhouse effect does affect global temperatures, but I am a bit skeptical when it comes to the danger of rising temperatures. In all the Earth's history, the times where we've had the highest CO2 concentration in the atmosphere also correlated with having the highest global biodiversity. Frankly, I'm more concerned about another ice age than a greenhouse Earth.
    Quote Quote