Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now

Thread: Study shows sexuality genetically induced

1. -1
    Why is there a watermelon there?

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    No matter where I go, there I am.
    Thanks / No Thanks

Study shows sexuality genetically induced

Study: Sexual identity hard-wired by genetics
    Monday, October 20, 2003 Posted: 10:06 AM EDT (1406 GMT)

LOS ANGELES, California (Reuters) -- Sexual identity is wired into the genes, which discounts the concept that homosexuality and transgender sexuality are a choice, California researchers reported on Monday.

"Our findings may help answer an important question -- why do we feel male or female?" Dr. Eric Vilain, a genetics professor at the University of California, Los Angeles School of Medicine, said in a statement. "Sexual identity is rooted in every person's biology before birth and springs from a variation in our individual genome."

His team has identified 54 genes in mice that may explain why male and female brains look and function differently.

Since the 1970s, scientists have believed that estrogen and testosterone were wholly responsible for sexually organizing the brain. Recent evidence, however, indicates that hormones cannot explain everything about the sexual differences between male and female brains.

Published in the latest edition of the journal Molecular Brain Research, the UCLA discovery may also offer physicians an improved tool for gender assignment of babies born with ambiguous genitalia.

Mild cases of malformed genitalia occur in 1 percent of all births -- about 3 million cases. More severe cases -- where doctors can't inform parents whether they had a boy or girl -- occur in one in 3,000 births.

"If physicians could predict the gender of newborns with ambiguous genitalia at birth, we would make less mistakes in gender assignment," Vilain said.

Using two genetic testing methods, the researchers compared the production of genes in male and female brains in embryonic mice -- long before the animals developed sex organs.

They found 54 genes produced in different amounts in male and female mouse brains, prior to hormonal influence. Eighteen of the genes were produced at higher levels in the male brains; 36 were produced at higher levels in the female brains.

"We discovered that the male and female brains differed in many measurable ways, including anatomy and function." Vilain said.

For example, the two hemispheres of the brain appeared more symmetrical in females than in males. According to Vilain, the symmetry may improve communication between both sides of the brain, leading to enhanced verbal expressiveness in females.

"This anatomical difference may explain why women can sometimes articulate their feelings more easily than men," he said.

The scientists plan to conduct further studies to determine the specific role for each of the 54 genes they identified.

"Our findings may explain why we feel male or female, regardless of our actual anatomy," said Vilain. "These discoveries lend credence to the idea that being transgender --- feeling that one has been born into the body of the wrong sex -- is a state of mind."
    Quote Quote  

2. -2
    Punk Exterminator

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Lakeland Fl
    Thanks / No Thanks
    California researchers.
    What did you expect?
    I believe I can fly.
    Quote Quote  

3. -3
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Rehoboth Beach
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Way i look at it, when they're born, they either HAVE a dick or they don't!!! Nothing ambiguous about that !!!

:goof:
    DD..................the #1 Delaware Dolfan !!!

Doing things you don't have to do today will help to determine where you'll be tomorrow when you can't do anything about it!
    Quote Quote  

4. -4

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Originally posted by DeDolfan
    Way i look at it, when they're born, they either HAVE a dick or they don't!!! Nothing ambiguous about that !!!

:goof:
    Two points...

1)It's actually a VERY common birth defect for children to have either underdeveloped sexual organs, or ambiguous sexual organs. Take a class in birth defects and the stats are enough to scare you into never having kids.

2)If they can prove that sexual identity IS determined at birth, it's going to make a lot of bigots very unhappy...what a shame...
    Quote Quote  

5. -5
    Now completely imaginary

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Elsewhere
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Well, I guess this means that if my kid turns out to be gay....my WIFE will have some explaining to do.
    Quote Quote  

6. -6
    Don't believe everything you think.

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    your six
    Thanks / No Thanks
    They found 54 genes produced in different amounts in male and female mouse brains, prior to hormonal influence. Eighteen of the genes were produced at higher levels in the male brains; 36 were produced at higher levels in the female brains.
    Does this mean that females are genetically superior to males?

If so, then homosexuals are gentically superior males, right?

Am I getting this right?
    At a television studio in Hollywood on Monday night, Dolphins defensive end Jason Taylor was doing the fox trot. He probably was wearing makeup, too.
    About an hour south down Interstate 5, quarterback John Beck was on the verge of lining up his chicken nuggets in a shotgun formation.

Quote Quote  

7. -7

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Originally posted by inFINSible

Does this mean that females are genetically superior to males?

If so, then homosexuals are gentically superior males, right?

Am I getting this right?
    Actually...in a lot of ways women are genetically superior to men. Lower infant mortality,longer life span, higher pain threshold....Problem with homosexuals being superior is that they reproduce less often.
    Quote Quote  

8. -8
    FinHeaven Lives

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Atlanta, GA
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I know this topic is kinda dead, but thought I should give me opinion about it... although some people will probably REALLY disagree... oh well...

I believe that people are born to be either hetero- or ****- sexual. I say this mainly because I know a few homosexuals, and they have to put up with a ton of crap (society basically). They are on the victims of a lot of hatred... for some reason. Why anyone would wake up one day and say "I want to be a ****- because I like getting discriminated."

Personally, it's just insanity. Think about the pressure that society puts on people, everyone assumes that everyone is straight. Alright... but naturally (I believe the ratio is 1-10) someone is gay, yet is acting straight BECAUSE of society. What if it were your best friend? Son? Daughter? Any other family member? Would you honestly treat them different because of that fact? Would you honestly go as far as disowning them?

For me and my friends, when they finally told me that they were "gay," it made no difference. A persons sexuality is one small peice of an entire person. They are still the friends I call up on Friday nights to see what's up and what we want to do...

Anyways, that's just me... and I can't WAIT for some type of scientific evidence to prove what I said (you can be born gay, etc).

In conclusion... end the hate... that's all I gotta say.... :cool:
    AJ Tatum

"If carrots got you drunk, rabbits would be messed up."
    - Mitch Hedberg
    Quote Quote  

9. -9
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Jerusalem
    Thanks / No Thanks
    You're ahead of your time AJ. The world may yet catch up with you.
    Quote Quote  

10. -10
    Cogito, Ergo FinFanum

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    With the Cheerleaders in the Premie Forum
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Originally posted by FinHeavenAJ
    I know this topic is kinda dead, but thought I should give me opinion about it... although some people will probably REALLY disagree... oh well...

I believe that people are born to be either hetero- or ****- sexual. I say this mainly because I know a few homosexuals, and they have to put up with a ton of crap (society basically). They are on the victims of a lot of hatred... for some reason. Why anyone would wake up one day and say "I want to be a ****- because I like getting discriminated."

Personally, it's just insanity. Think about the pressure that society puts on people, everyone assumes that everyone is straight. Alright... but naturally (I believe the ratio is 1-10) someone is gay, yet is acting straight BECAUSE of society. What if it were your best friend? Son? Daughter? Any other family member? Would you honestly treat them different because of that fact? Would you honestly go as far as disowning them?

For me and my friends, when they finally told me that they were "gay," it made no difference. A persons sexuality is one small peice of an entire person. They are still the friends I call up on Friday nights to see what's up and what we want to do...

Anyways, that's just me... and I can't WAIT for some type of scientific evidence to prove what I said (you can be born gay, etc).

In conclusion... end the hate... that's all I gotta say.... :cool:
    :stupid:
    Quote Quote