Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now

Thread: Just have to share

1. -1
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Jerusalem
    Thanks / No Thanks

Just have to share

I was on the bus today on the way to the central market. When it stopped on King George Street a group of about a dozen or so soldiers got on, all speaking Russian.

Having been a teenager during the Reagan years, it struck me that I would never have thought that one day I would be standing amidst a group of Russian-speaking soldiers without feeling the slightest bit of apprehension.
    אויר הרים צלול כיין וריח אורנים
    נישא ברוח הערביים עם קול פעמונים
    ובתרדמת אילן ואבן שבוייה בחלומה
    העיר אשר בדד יושבת ובליבה חומה

ירושלים של זהב ושל נחושת ושל אור
    הלא לכל שירייך אני כינור

מילי נעומי שמר
    Quote Quote  

2. -2
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Berlin Wall down or not, I still would have been nervous.
    Quote Quote  

3. -3
    Finheaven Templar

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    The Crossroads of TX
    Thanks / No Thanks
    As a kid in Eastern NC, we would spend weekends building "forts" in the woods and planning who would get who's parents guns when the Russians came. Because they *were* comeing. It was only a matter of when. Red Dawn was not a movie. It was a training film. We were determined that it was up to us to fight to the last person to defend the country. Seems silly to think back on, of course, but I can tell you it was stone, bone cold serious with us.

I still don't trust or like the Russians.

Thanks Shifty!

Quote Quote  

4. -4
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by GoonBoss View Post
    As a kid in Eastern NC, we would spend weekends building "forts" in the woods and planning who would get who's parents guns when the Russians came. Because they *were* comeing. It was only a matter of when. Red Dawn was not a movie. It was a training film. We were determined that it was up to us to fight to the last person to defend the country. Seems silly to think back on, of course, but I can tell you it was stone, bone cold serious with us.

That is so hard for someone like me to comprehend. By the time I started elementary school, the Wall had fallen and the USSR was an obsolete term. There were never any real threats to us, minus the occasional small conflict in Bosnia and other places. It was certainly a different experience.
    Quote Quote  

5. -5
    Finheaven Templar

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    The Crossroads of TX
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by WaywardZest View Post
    That is so hard for someone like me to comprehend. By the time I started elementary school, the Wall had fallen and the USSR was an obsolete term. There were never any real threats to us, minus the occasional small conflict in Bosnia and other places. It was certainly a different experience.
    The only thing I can equate it to was those films we used to see....You know the ones from the 50s where everyone was taught to hide under thier desks when the bombs started dropping? Our parents thought the bomb was coming. I can sort of see that thought process, because it wasn't *that* long ago, we hit Japan with one.

I was born in 1967. From the time I could comprehend, the Russians (Most of us refered to the Soviet Union as Russia.). were dead set to take over the world. Most of my freinds had fathers in the military. I didn't....My mom was a music teacher and my dad was as well....so that also had some bearing on mindset.

Like I said...Today at 41 it sort of amazes me to look back at it now. Not saying what would have happened *if* the Russians had come.....But I remember sitting around with the little group I ran with in the woods, in one of our "forts" discussing very soberly how we would have to keep moving, hence the need for many forts. Our intent was to kill the first Russians we could find and, take thier guns, just like the Warsaw resistance during WWII. Also, make no mistake; We knew how the Warsaw uprising ended and had no illusions that it would end any better for us. It was sort of just simply what would be required eventually.
    Quote Quote  

6. -6
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Jerusalem
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by WaywardZest View Post
    Berlin Wall down or not, I still would have been nervous.
    Note that I said Russian-speaking soldiers. Yes they are Russian, but serving in the Israeli army. I hadn't thought of it before, but these guys would defend my life and all the other Americans and western Europeans here. Maybe they already have. I honor them as much as any American-born soldier, and I know quite a few. If I had been sitting I would gladly had gotten up and offered my seat.
    Quote Quote  

7. -7
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Jerusalem
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by GoonBoss View Post

I have to admit that I've struggled to fight off a prejudice against Russians since coming here. It's very common for them to lack professionalism and any courtesy. The same can be said for many others.

There are some things I focus on to fight that prejudice. One a friend, who was a roommate until yesterday. He was born in Moscow but grew up in Chicago.

I also had an interesting experience a couple of years ago when I took an Autocad class in Tel Aviv. I was the only person in the entire room, teacher and students, who wasn't Russian. Everyone there treated me very well and I did get a sense of professionalism. I believe that G-d gave me that experience to help me fight the prejudice.
    Quote Quote