Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Training camp preview of wide receivers

1. -1
    Scout Team

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks

Training camp preview of wide receivers

Good in depth look at the roster battles at wide receiver: http://www.thephinsider.com/2009/7/2...-training-camp

Quote from article:
    THE QUESTIONS
    There are two questions that jump out right away. One - is Greg Camarillo healthy enough to make the roster or does he have to begin season on the PUP list? If he did, that would potentially free up another roster spot. And that brings me to question two - how many receivers will the Dolphins keep on their 53-man roster? Five is the norm. But the Dolphins usually dressed only four on gamedays in 2008 - and dressed only three once Camarillo went down for the season. So it's clear that this regime doesn't necessarily think you must keep five receivers. And keeping six - as many think Miami will - is far from a sure thing.
    That's only part of it. I suggest going to check out the entire article.

my take is that we'll only keep 5 receivers. and i think neither london nor armstrong make the roster.

thoughts?
    Quote Quote  

2. -2
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Dream Songs
    Thanks / No Thanks
    There will be some tough cuts. I'm hoping we keep Armstrong, but I think it's 50/50.
    Quote Quote  

3. -3
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Boynton Beach
    Thanks / No Thanks
    2013 Dolphins Logo
    i think people are crazy if they think that camarillo wont make the team... last year we had
    Ginn, Bess, Camarillo, wilford, and london..

Wilford and london didnt step up so i think theyll be gone, maybe london is preseason trade bait.. i think Armstrong needs to have an amazing preseason to make the Roster and i hope he does. the kid is FAST but i think if he doesnt hes going to get cut,
    Quote Quote  

4. -4
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    One of the advantages of bring in Jake Grove is his ability to go heads up with the NT. He had the highest percentage in the NFL of one-on-one blocks. His one-on-one success facilitates running out of the 3 or 4 wide receiver sets, so I expect us to spread out the defense like the patriots have done recently. This works to the strengths of Chad Pennington, and the FO has acquired enough wide receiver talent for the Dolphins to run the spread offense consistently. Ronnie certainly has the skills required for the running back position in the spread.

I find it hilarious that everyone is talking about the wildcat and missing the implications of the FO approach for offensive players during the offseason. Many individuals on this board think it is crazy that we drafted someone like Hartline when Camarillo and Bess are on our roster. The spread offense requires smaller, faster receivers. There is a premium on slot receivers within a spread offense. I am curious to see if I have correctly interpreted the tea leaves (I recognize this is all speculative). If I am correct, I do not expect to see alot of four receiver sets in the preseason. I expect they will unvail it against Atlanta.

As for the topic of this thread, I expect us to keep 6 wide receivers on the final roster.
    Quote Quote  

5. -5
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    well, pretty much what anyone already knows if you're following the team...No real "news" IMO.
    Quote Quote  

6. -6
    Restore the greatness!

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Syracuse, New York
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Smith21 View Post
    i think people are crazy if they think that camarillo wont make the team... last year we had
    Ginn, Bess, Camarillo, wilford, and london..

Wilford and london didnt step up so i think theyll be gone, maybe london is preseason trade bait.. i think Armstrong needs to have an amazing preseason to make the Roster and i hope he does. the kid is FAST but i think if he doesnt hes going to get cut,
    What are you talking about??? Training camp hasn't even started yet. All we've had are practices in pajamas with no hitting. You can't say anyone hasn't stepped it up until we see them in training camp and some preseason games.

Ricky Williams: the greatest back in Miami Dolphins history

Quote Quote  

7. -7
    ...FOR ME TO POOP ON

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    i think armstrong is going to be on the practice squad, i honestly think we will carry 6 wr's this year, ginn, bess, turner, hartline, cam, and armstrong/london. wilford will be te, martin will be traded,
    Quote Quote  

8. -8
    No More Excuses

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Dolphins Homer1972 Dolphins Logo2013 Dolphins LogoTannehill 17
    Quote Originally Posted by GrandMaster D View Post
    i think armstrong is going to be on the practice squad, i honestly think we will carry 6 wr's this year, ginn, bess, turner, hartline, cam, and armstrong/london. wilford will be te, martin will be traded,
    I'm seeing it alot like you are.

IMO, London gets traded for a 6 or 7. I think alot of people forget he was a very hot commodity when NY waved him, with several teams applying for him.

I also think if Wilford shows he can get open from the TE spot (you would think he mismatches well from there), Martin goes on the block as well.

So yeah, Ginn, Bess, Rillo, Turner, Hartline & Armstrong.
    Quote Quote  

9. -9
    I love lamp

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Tannehill 17
    Quote Originally Posted by GrandMaster D View Post
    that thought recently crossed my mind as well. IF Wilford does well at TE in camp and IF there is an injury to another team's TE, there's a good chance this will get done IMO.
    Quote Quote  

10. -10
    U made the pudding but forgot the proof.

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I'm not sure you can have a discussion about the potential starters at WR without at least mentioning who is getting them the ball... As of right now that is Chad P... He is not the kind of QB that can really utilize deep threats, he needs guys who can create seperation in 10 yards not 40. So if we keep 6:

Cam, Bess, Ginn: Locks.

Turner: I have to think Pennington is as excited about this kid as much as we are. I think Chad's accuracy coupled with this kid's size and polish at this point make for a pretty exciting combination. Remember it is Pennington's accuracy that can take the pressure off receivers without REAL speed...Look for Chad to make this kid look GOOD. We needed this dimension very badly.

Hartline: Another guy that can flourish in a Chad P system. Durable underneath and sure handed... His high selection and ability to play on special teams allow him to crack the lineup.

Armstrong: Last year in preseason he had excellent chemistry with Henne. I expect the same this year. With a strong armed Henne under center Ginn and Armstrong would really press opposing CB tandems with all that speed. Unfortuntely with Chad that skill overlap works against us as stretching the field is not a Pennington strong suit. A little too much of a Ginn clone to be fully utilized in a Pennington run offense IMO. Can he return kicks???

London: This guy is the perfect backup to ALL those mentioned. He has size to complement/replace Turner... Some speed and can play special teams...

If I was making the choice TODAY... Before camp... I would take London because of his versatility to fill in for and compliment the others. I LOVE Armstrong and if Henne was under center I would take him over London... But since it is Chad P I think that we could use London's size a little more. JMO.
    Quote Quote