Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Jake Long vs. Matt Ryan

1. -1
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks

Jake Long vs. Matt Ryan

Our first game is going to be fun to watch!

I was in the camp of wanting to draft Matt Ryan, nothing against Jake Long but when you can get a franchise QB, you take it.

It will be interesting to watch Matt Ryan play against us and truly watch his skills. No doubt do I think Jake Long won't be a pillar at left tackle for us but it's certainly more fun to watch a franchise QB than a LT.

Anyone else wish we would have taken Matt Ryan?
    Quote Quote  

2. -2
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rlurie View Post
    I was in the camp of wanting to draft Matt Ryan, nothing against Jake Long but when you can get a franchise QB, you take it.

I agree 100% but I didn't think Matt Ryan was going to be that good coming out of college and apparently Parcells and Co. didn't either. If they knew what they know now then I really don't think there's any question that Matt Ryan would be a Phin.
    Quote Quote  

3. -3
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    True. But very few believed Matt Ryan to be a Franchise QB.

The talk on this board was mostly Jake or Chris Long and Vernon Ghoulston. Very FEW in here were saying Matt Ryan to me knowldge
    Quote Quote  

4. -4
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    NJ
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rlurie View Post
    Our first game is going to be fun to watch!

It will be interesting to watch Matt Ryan play against us and truly watch his skills. No doubt do I think Jake Long won't be a pillar at left tackle for us but it's certainly more fun to watch a franchise QB than a LT.

Anyone else wish we would have taken Matt Ryan?
    We made the right call, if we had taken Ryan, we would not have gotten a tackle in the same zip code as Long, while in getting Long, I believe we might have gotten a QB close to as good as Ryan in Henne, but that is still to be decided, as he really didn't have a good game 3....1 & 2 looked good though.
    Quote Quote  

5. -5
    Perennial All-Pro

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Idaho
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I am still not convinced that Ryan is a franchise QB. I'll reserve judgement till after this season.
    Quote Quote  

6. -6
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    We made the "safe" pick. In retrospect it wasn't the "best" pick. The question wouldn't matter if Henne was looking like a real Pro QB. If Henne continues to sag it will be second guessed forever...
    Quote Quote  

7. -7
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I am sure of one thing, Parcells, Ireland and Sparano all regret not taking Ryan.

When you don't have a QB and you pass on a franchise QB at the top of the draft, its a mistake no matter how you draw it up. Jake Long hasn't exactly set the world on fire in the preseason. He's getting beat way to much.

All that said, Jake is still a good player although after yesterday my opinion of Henne is shifting back towards what I thought of him at Michigan....which coming from a Buckeye fan is not good.

Not giving up on him but sure it would be sweet to have Ryan after the fact but life doesn't work that way. I wasn't on Ryan's bandwagon so I can't even claim to be an i told you soer. I wanted Chris Long.
    Quote Quote  

8. -8
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    New Orleans
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I like to analogize the 2008 NFL Draft to the 1984 NBA Draft.

In 1984, the NBA draft went like this:
    1. Hakeem Olajuwan - Houston Rockets
    2. Sam Bowie - Portland Trailblazers
    3. Michael Jordan - Chicago Bulls

In 2008, the NFL draft went like this:
    1. Jake Long - Miami Dolphins
    2. Chris Long - St. Louis Rams
    3. Matt Ryan - Atlanta Falcons

Do the Rockets regret not taking Michael Jordan? Of course! Do they lie awake at night, kicking themselves for passing on Jordan? Probably not. Hakeem got them 2 rings. The Rockets went with the "safe" pick and took a Center. Miami followed the same strategy.

Of course, this analogy is flawed, cause Jordan ended up being the greatest of all time. And cause the book on Jake Long and Matt Ryan is yet to be written.

But I think you get my point.
    "I have a lot of pride in my straw hat." - Nick Saban
    Quote Quote  

9. -9
    Lost in the fog

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    It's a crapshoot. I don't think too many thought Matt Ryan would be a franchise QB - those of you who were clamoring for him weren't doing so because you have some skill at talent evaluation - you just wanted the best QB in that draft.

Many thought Alex Smith would be a franchise QB. Many thought Matt Leinart would be. Who's doing the best out of that QB first round draft class? The guy that sat in the green room for ages until Green Bay took him at 20-something - Aaron Rodgers. Sometimes you just never know - and hindsight is always 20/20.

Spending a high pick on a franchise QB is a huuuge risk and if you miss (e.g. Alex Smith), it sets you back for years. When you're rebuilding a team, you don't take risks on a position with a high bust potential with your #1 pick. Jake Long will always be the better and smarter and right pick regardless of how good Matt Ryan becomes.
    Quote Quote  

10. -10
    The Juggernaut

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Montreal, Canada
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I remember people claiming that John Beck was the same if not better then Matt Ryan. I also remember the FO saying that Jake long was the Safest pick. They believed that they new what they were getting with Jake Long
    Quote Quote