Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should Wilson be benched?

1. -1
    Seasoned Veteran

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks

Should Wilson be benched?

We can make a long list of plays that cost us the game lastnight but if I had to point out our biggest failure I would definitely say our Safety play. It was just painful to watch. G. Wilson was horrrible, he can't cover an old lady in crutches or make a tackle to save his life. Y. Bell didin't play very good either but I think he'll pick it up.

The problem I see is that we have a Safety (Bell) who is very good against the run and average/decent in coverage and another safety (Wilson) who is also good vs the run but terrible in coverage. You have to wonder why we signed a guy that has a similar skill set to Bell and doesn't bring a blance to our Safety play (Like say a Safety with better coverage skills would).

So my question . . Is it time to bench him? If he is benched who is better suited to replace him?
    I don't think Jason Allen is the answer, maybe our back up safeties culver and clemons. It might be a good time to see what they can bring to the table.

Could Vontae play Safety? I mean it is becoming evident that that Smith can handle the CB spot alone and Vontae seems to have good safety skills: good tackler/hitter (an area where Wilson has failed miserably and which is must-have skill for a safety) good in run support and coverage. His physique is more safetylike then CBlike.

What do you think?
    failure has many excuses . . . . . . . success has no explanation
    Quote Quote  

2. -2
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Phin19 View Post
    So my question . . Is it time to bench him? If he is benched who is better suited to replace him?
    No, it is still too early to make that decision. He is transitioning from Strong Safety to Free Safety in a brand new defense. I am very disappointed in his performance, but a knee jerk reaction will not help.
    Quote Quote  

3. -3
    Moon Runner / The 3 AM Crew

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I am wondering how Wilson made this team with the way he tackles?.....he should change his name to Toast Wilson. There has to be some other d-backs out there who can play better. I would give Rodney Harrison a call.
    Quote Quote  

4. -4
    Waterlogged

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by FinHopeful View Post
    No, it is still too early to make that decision. He is transitioning from Strong Safety to Free Safety in a brand new defense. I am very disappointed in his performance, but a knee jerk reaction will not help.
    That is no excuse. He played free safety for years on the Giants.
    Quote Quote  

5. -5
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Hollywood,Florida
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Roman529 View Post
    I am wondering how Wilson made this team with the way he tackles?.....he should change his name to Toast Wilson. There has to be some other d-backs out there who can play better. I would give Rodney Harrison a call.
    He did have 129 tackles last season which would have been #1 on this team...the question should be will he EVER defend a pass...I think we all know the answer to that question...

Mgmt brought in a carbon copy of Bell and KNEW that Wilson's pass coverage skills were poor at best SO mgmt puts players in a position to FAIL AND PAYS $$$$$$$$

Talk about another Jason Allen situation were we are almost forced to keep players because of paying stupid salaries

Since were tearing apart mgmt...other than Davis and Smith how many of our draft picks are going to make a difference this year(will we have a starter who plays all game long out of this draft)Will Wake come to a game not having to ware his street clothes on the sideline?How does a player go from being a starting guard in pre season to not even dressing in regular season games?
    Quote Quote  

6. -6
    Moon Runner / The 3 AM Crew

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by miamiron View Post
    He did have 129 tackles last season which would have been #1 on this team...the question should be will he EVER defend a pass...I think we all know the answer to that question...
    I know G. Wilson got a bunch of tackles with the Raiders but with the style of defense they play and how often their defense was on the field, I think his stats are vey misleading. He probably had the opportunity to make 200 tackles. If we don't learn how to tackle better and get some pressure on the opposing QB it is going to be a very long year. I think the Phins are a better team then last year but we have a much tougher schedule and every team in the AFC East has gotten better.
    Quote Quote  

7. -7
    DOB: Get my Ring!

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Warminster, PA
    Thanks / No Thanks

i don't think he should be benched

I think he should be cut. Although not until next year which is a year without a cap. Gibril can't play anymore. It's obvious.
    Quote Quote  

8. -8
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Calabasas, CA
    Thanks / No Thanks
    any chance "Giblets" Wilson is related to Ernest "No" Wilford?? ((just askin))
    Quote Quote  

9. -9
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    He blows.

There was one play where not only did he not make the tackle, but he knocked off the other fins defender in the process.

I keep seeing him miss tackles. I'm starting to think that Jason Allen should probably start to get some reps to see if that wakes him up.
    Quote Quote  

10. -10
    Rookie

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Not Yet, he keeps this up though he will be benched
    Quote Quote