Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now

Thread: Hyperion Cantos by Dan Simmons

Threaded View

1. -1
    The Truth (I promise)

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Gem State
    Thanks / No Thanks

Hyperion Cantos by Dan Simmons

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyperion_Cantos

After the heavy, funny, and ultimately depressing book The Information by Martin Amis, I decided to read something a little lighter. And so last Tuesday I started reading this book. It consists of both the original Hyperion and The Fall of Hyperion. In five days, I completed the first book and am about to start the sequel.

I have to say that the structure of the first work Hyperion, which borrows from Chaucer's Canterbury Tales, was very well done. The first book presents a mystery; seven individuals are called on a pilgrimage to go and visit the Shrike, an invincible and time-altering killing machine, to present their requests- one will survive and have his/her request granted and the rest will be impaled on a gigantic metal thorn tree.

I am by no means a science fiction fan. Most of the genre seems so convoluted and dreamy that I simply cannot relate to it, but this book presents the story in a very reachable fashion--by not focusing on the technology and instead focusing on the humanity of both the people and the artificially intelligent.

Tonight I will start the second part, but I wanted to start a thread and recommend it for those who haven't read it. I'll follow up with my impressions on the conclusion.
    Last edited by Rafiki; 10-26-2009 at 09:35 PM.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJNU2...eature=related
    2011 Boise State Football Preview Video!
    Quote Quote