Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Randy Starks is on a roll

1. -1
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Off the shoulder of Orion
    Thanks / No Thanks

Randy Starks is on a roll

Dolphins’ defensive end Randy Starks made headlines in the spring for his Memorial Day mishap on South Beach.
    These days, Starks is in the news and leads off today’s talking points for his what he’s been doing on the field.
    1. Starks is having the most-productive season of any Dolphins’ defensive linemen.

Starks leads the group in with 26 tackles and 3 1/2 sacks. He has 14 tackles in the past two games and all his sacks during the past four outings.
    He also made arguably the his biggest play of his two seasons in Miami when stopped QB Mark Sanchez for a 7-yard loss in the Jets’ final drive. If that wasn’t it, Starks’ first-quarter interception last season in the red zone at New England might be because it helped change the momentum early in the Dolphins’ 38-13 rout.
    Starks moved into the starting lineup in the second week of training camp and hasn’t looked back.
    In his sixth NFL season and just 25 years old, Starks is one of the team’s best free-agent signings under Bill Parcells and Jeff Ireland.
    http://blogs.palmbeachpost.com/theda...-is-on-a-roll/
    "It happens all the time," Taylor said. "It's not an exact science and personnel guys aren't the end-all, be-all. " Jason Taylor,2011
    Quote Quote  

2. -2
    Waterlogged

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Last year Starks was our most productive defensive lineman with a stunning 27% metric win rate.. None of our other d-lineman were above 16%

So none of this surprises me.. I knew he was really good.

This year footballfocus has Starks listed as the 2nd best 3-4 DE in the league so far-

http://www.profootballfocus.com/by_p...=-1&numgames=1

^^ and 3 of our DE's are in the top 10 in the NFL... Parcells knows his linemen and how to build nice lines, that's for damn sure.

Quote Quote  

3. -3
    I love lamp

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Tannehill 17
    Quote Originally Posted by Greyboy View Post
    This year footballfocus has Starks listed as the 2nd best 3-4 DE in the league so far-

http://www.profootballfocus.com/by_p...=-1&numgames=1

^^ and 3 of our DE's are in the top 10 in the NFL... Parcells knows his linemen and how to build nice lines, that's for damn sure.

that site is pretty neat. for everyone who's interested, Paul Soliai is 9th among DTs/NTs.
    Quote Quote  

4. -4
    Waterlogged

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    To understand what a fantastic metric score of 27% is for a 3-4 defensive end...

Andy Alleman had an exact 73% metric score last year (it was the worst on our offensive line, Satele was 2nd worst at 79%)..

Alleman's score was one of the worst of all the guards in the NFL.. So Randy Starks made opposing offensive linemen look like Andy freakin Alleman last year.

73 + 27 = 100

Last year was the first year Starks has ever played 3-4 DE.. He came from Tennessee and was a one-gap D-tackle in a 4-3.. So he was very good in his first year at 3-4 DE.. Now he has a year under his belt and is used to the position, with more experience, and is flourishing.. Plus he is only 25 yrs old so he can still get better.

He's a very talented player.
    Quote Quote  

5. -5
    Premium Member

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Tampa, FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    That might not have even been Starks' biggest play of that drive though. An even bigger play was a play or two before where Sanchez read his first and second reads, and the middle of the field parted wide open to where he could have walked into the end zone...so Dirty started running up the field, and Starks got off Alan Faneca's block and took Sanchez down at the line of scrimmage.

Dirty was PISSED about that play too because he knew he had a touchdown run if he just could have gotten past Starks but Randy made a fantastic play.
    Twitter: @ckparrot
    Quote Quote  

6. -6
    Lifelong Fin Fan

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Minneapolis MN
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by greasyObnoxious View Post
    that site is pretty neat. for everyone who's interested, Paul Soliai is 9th among DTs/NTs.
    After looking at the site I decided to look up all of our O and D lineman. After seeing the rankings I would thinks it's fair to say our lines are set and will only get better the next couple years.

Offensive Line
    Jake Grove #2 C
    Vernon Carey #2 T
    Jake Long #11 T
    Justin Smiley #41 G would have thought these 2 would be higher
    Donald Thomas #45 G we may need to upgrade

Randy Starks #2 DE
    Paul Soliai #9 NT
    Kendal Langford #9 DE
    Phillip Merling #10 DE
    Quote Quote  

7. -7
    I love lamp

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Tannehill 17
    Quote Originally Posted by mnphinfan View Post
    After looking at the site I decided to look up all of our O and D lineman. After seeing the rankings I would thinks it's fair to say our lines are set and will only get better the next couple years.

Offensive Line
    Jake Grove #2 C
    Vernon Carey #2 T
    Jake Long #11 T
    Justin Smiley #41 G would have thought these 2 would be higher
    Donald Thomas #45 G we may need to upgrade

Randy Starks #2 DE
    Paul Soliai #9 NT
    Kendal Langford #9 DE
    Phillip Merling #10 DE

Jason Taylor #7 3-4 OLB
    Sean Smith #15 CB
    surprisingly Anthony Fasano #4 TE because he's a great run blocker

whatever stat they use to determine those metrics, they are pretty good. Bell is #61, Wilson #71 at safety, Crowder is next to last at ILB.
    Quote Quote  

8. -8
    FinHeaven Elite

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Miami
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Soliai & Starks are both playing awesome, right now. You know Soliai is doing a good job when he is taking playing time from Ferg.
    Follow me at www.twitter.com/robi2184, always updating Dolfans with the latest Miami Dolphins news.

Zach Thomas: I played against New England twice a year every year my whole career. I learned to not like that team. I wasn't going to join them.
    Quote Quote  

9. -9
    Waterlogged

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ckparrothead View Post
    That might not have even been Starks' biggest play of that drive though. An even bigger play was a play or two before where Sanchez read his first and second reads, and the middle of the field parted wide open to where he could have walked into the end zone...so Dirty started running up the field, and Starks got off Alan Faneca's block and took Sanchez down at the line of scrimmage.

Dirty was PISSED about that play too because he knew he had a touchdown run if he just could have gotten past Starks but Randy made a fantastic play.
    Yeah I saw Sanchez mention that on the NFL Network replay last night right after that play happened.

He totally thought he had an easy TD there then Randy stopped him dead in his tracks.

heh
    Quote Quote  

10. -10
    Perennial All-Pro

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    RI
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Greyboy View Post
    Yeah I saw Sanchez mention that on the NFL Network replay last night right after that play happened.

He totally thought he had an easy TD there then Randy stopped him dead in his tracks.

heh
    i thought he had an easy td again, like we have seen so many times down on the goaline with this defense.
    Quote Quote