Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Penny, Henne or White. Get it right!

1. -1
    Starter

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Upstate NY
    Thanks / No Thanks

Penny, Henne or White. Get it right!

Don't read if you haven't got five minutes... the list is disputable and not up-to-date but that's not the point. I didn't write it but think it appropriate and accurate.

What is a franchise quarterback? You see the word tossed around so much, but no one knows the exact meaning. Everyone talks about who is a franchise QB, but not what is a franchise QB. You can't label a franchise QB unless you know what it is.
    The player must match certain criteria to be considered a franchise quarterback: consistency, talent, leadership/maturity, and football intelligence.

Consistency
    In order to be a franchise quarterback or to find one, the player needs to be able to perform a certain level all the time. That doesn't mean he has to be spectacular, but he can perform at a good performance day in and day out.
    Someone who throws five touchdown passes and no interceptions in one game, then throws five interceptions and no touchdowns the next would not make a good franchise quarterback.
    If someone throws two touchdown passes and one interception in one game, and then repeats that performance every game, that is one step to becoming a "franchise QB."

Talent
    You can run the ball as many times as you like, your defense can score as many points as you like. But the fact remains, if your quarterback is a bum, your team will suffer.
    Some teams feature a run first offense, where the quarterback is more of a game manager, but when he is needed, a true franchise QB can step up and make big plays for his team.
    Quarterbacks like Joe Flacco, Jake Delhomme, or Ben Roethlisberger aren't asked to throw a lot, nor is anyone expecting great numbers to come out of them. But when the time comes, they all can step up their game, Roethlisberger in particular.

Leadership/Maturity
    Players look to their quarterback. They look to them for help, they look for them for guidance, and if a QB is not willing to accept that role, then they're not set to be a franchise player.
    The entire offense runs around the quarterback, and it's his job to rally his team around him, or they all crumble.
    This also includes being a team player. If a quarterback is more concerned about his passer rating over his teams win-loss record, he is doomed for failure.
    He must be able to accept responsibility for his mistakes, and not point fingers and cast blame on other offensive players for his shortcomings. He must be able to remain cool under pressure and keep his composure when things get sour.
    If he's cracking under pressure, and being a self-centered crybaby, then he isn't qualified.

Football Intelligence
    I'm not talking about the player's IQ or Wonderlic score, I'm talking about his on field head game. The quarterback has to know what is going on the field at all times, no exceptions.
    He needs to know where the safeties, where his receivers are going. He needs to be able to pick up a blitz and correctly change the play. If there are seven DB's on the field, he should know not to pass it unless he absolutely has to.
    This also includes decision making. If he decides to continuously throw the ball into triple coverage, or decides to rush the ball himself into a blitz, he isn't a franchise quarterback.
    So using the following criteria, you can now make an 'opinionated' list of the franchise quarterbacks of the NFL, who is becoming a franchise quarterback, and who has the potential to be a franchise QB.

Failed Franchise Quarterbacks
    Alex Smith—San Fransisco 49ers
    Marc Bulger—St. Louis Rams
    Derek Anderson—Cleveland Browns
    Tyler Thigpen—Kansas City Chiefs
    Kyle Boller—Baltimore Ravens (2003-08)

Potential Franchise Quarterbacks
    JaMarcus Russell—Oakland Raiders
    Matt Stafford—Detroit Lions
    Brady Quinn—Cleveland Browns
    Shaun Hill—San Fransisco 49ers
    Vince Young—Tennessee Titans
    Troy Smith—Baltimore Ravens
    Matt Leinart—Arizona Cardinals

Up-and-Coming Franchise Quarterbacks
    Matt RyanAtlanta Falcons- All criteria, needs another year
    Joe Flacco—Baltimore Ravens- All criteria, needs another year
    Matt Cassel—Kansas City Chiefs- All criteria, needs another year
    Jay CutlerChicago Bears- All criteria, new team
    Kyle Orton—Denver Broncos- All criteria, new team
    Carson Palmer—Cincinnati Bengals- Needs to stay healthy
    Trent EdwardsBuffalo Bills- Needs consistency
    Jason Campbell—Washington Redskins- Needs consistency
    David Garrard—Jacksonville Jaguars- Needs consistency
    Matt Schaub—Houston Texans- Needs to stay healthy
    Kerry Collins—Tennessee Titans- Needs consistency
    Matt Hasselbeck—Seattle Seahawks- Needs consistency/stay healthy

Current Franchise Quarterbacks
    Drew BreesNew Orleans Saints
    Phillip Rivers—San Diego Chargers
    Tom BradyNew England Patriots
    Eli ManningNew York Giants
    Peyton ManningIndianapolis Colts
    Aaron RodgersGreen Bay Packers
    Tony RomoDallas Cowboys
    Donovan McNabbPhiladelphia Eagles
    Ben Roethlisberger—Pittsburgh Steelers
    Kurt Warner—Arizona Cardinals
    Jake Delhomme—Carolina Panthers
    Chad Pennington—Miami Dolphins

I hope you found this list and definition interesting. Hopefully now that people know what a franchise QB really is, people will throw around that word with a little more thought.
    Quote Quote  

2. -2
    Finheaven Hall of Shame

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Hotel California
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Pennington really can't be considered a franchise QB though. He's not starting, and likely isn't in the team's plans past this year.

Yeah, he probably would be starting if he weren't befallen by injury, but he's not a guy you build your offense around. He's got leadership, but to me, he's not a Franchise QB.
    Quote Quote  

3. -3
    Punching Bag

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Shark city
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Nice. I think Jamarcus could move down a spot.

Quote Originally Posted by CedarPhin View Post
    We've got to make HOF an honorary Crew member.
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnBeckHOF View Post
    I want no part of induction into your sinful little get-together you have here, squatting on internet bandwith that could be used in better, more productive ways.
    Quote Quote  

4. -4
    Finheaven Hall of Shame

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Hotel California
    Thanks / No Thanks
    T. Smith, Leinart, and Russell aren't potential Franchise QBs. They're backup material, with Jamarcus being good for the trash heap.
    Quote Quote  

5. -5
    Rookie

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Very good explanation of a franchise qb. I think your almost 100% accurate. I do disagree with some of the players.
    Quote Quote  

6. -6
    Go Fins!

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    SoFlo
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I say you really have to bring back Penny for one more year. Henne just isn't ready yet. Who knows, maybe it's because of not having a true #1. Too me, he still doesn't look comfortable enough in the pocket.
    Quote Quote  

7. -7
    Scout Team

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    The sewer
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quinn, Russell, Campbell, Delhomme, Collins = FAIL!
    Henne = Very high end of potential. Now that he doesn't get sacked as much he seems to get hit as he throws more. He is getting there.
    Quote Quote  

8. -8
    Perennial All-Pro

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Lauderdale
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Scratch Russell, Smith, Leinart, derek anderson, trent edwards, can all be scratched off the list.
    Quote Quote  

9. -9
    Rookie

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Wait a sec penny is a franchise quaterback despite his injury history yet Carson Palmer isn't???

I do agree with everything you, said but your lists need some serious tweeking.
    Quote Quote  

10. -10
    Perennial All-Pro

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Lauderdale
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CaSh View Post
    I say you really have to bring back Penny for one more year. Henne just isn't ready yet. Who knows, maybe it's because of not having a true #1. Too me, he still doesn't look comfortable enough in the pocket.
    I agree man. But we dont know what his arm..or whats left of it can do...Its a high possiblility he'd be injured again...Id say bring him back and keep him as a backup..that would be crazy
    Quote Quote