It's pretty easy to see what Miami's need are, which makes it a little more predictable to "guess" who the team will pick in the first round . Looking at the type of players Bill Parcells and company have brought in we are talking about tough, physical, versatile, overachievers and leaders. With those criteria in mind here's how I see the Dolphins ranking the 1st round (I'm not including players who I think the team will have no chance to get unless they trade up ie Suh, Berry.).
1. Rolando McClain - He fits the mold of a Bill Parcells player to the tee, tough, physical, big. I can see Miami trading up for him if he falls close to their pick and they don't have to give up a ton to move up. He's the #1 guy on the Dolphins radar IMO.
2. Dez Bryant - I understand that Parcells values other positions more than wide receiver and hasn't drafted one in the first round. However, the Dolphins front office is smart and it is likely they won't be able to get a top wide receiver in free agency. They will strongly consider Bryant if McClain is off the board.
3. CJ Spiller - This guy is simply a great player, someone who can score every time he touches the ball. His game is speed, but I love his field vision - in that sense he reminds me of Thurman Thomas. The Dolphins need to prepare for life after Ricky Williams and Ronnie Brown is not signed.
4. Sergio Kindle - You can't win without a strong pass rush and Kindle could be elite. Jason Taylor and Joey Porter are declining so this is an area the Dolphins will definitely address early on. Miami may overlook character issues with Kindle.
If these four aren't available when the Dolphins pick I really feel the team will try to trade down. If they trade down the next targets would be:
5. Dan Williams - The Dolphins could use a young NT of the future and Williams has a much lower ceiling IMO than Terence Cody. This would definitely seem like a Parcells type pick.
6. Golden Tate - I love this guy. I think he's the second best receiver coming out. He's tough, physical, great hands and with the versatility of returning kicks. He plays bigger than 5-11 as he goes up for the ball extremely well and gets a lot of yards after the catch. Simply put he's a football player.
7. Jahvid Best - Similar to Spiller in that he's a threat to score every time he touches the ball. Miami will be looking to add explosive players to the offense and while this may seem like a luxury pick many felt the same when Tennessee took Chris Johnson. If Miami is able to add an extra pick by trading down Best would not surprise me.