Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: G.O.P. Seeks to Widen Field of Play in Fall Elections

1. -1
    You're standing on my neck

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Gainesville, Florida
    Thanks / No Thanks

G.O.P. Seeks to Widen Field of Play in Fall Elections

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/25/us...5elect.html?hp

WASHINGTON – Republicans are luring new candidates into Congressional races and analysts say the number of seats up for grabs in November appears to be growing, setting up a midterm election likely to be harder fought than anyone anticipated prior to the party’s big victory in Massachusetts last week.

Republicans still face many obstacles, not least a series of potentially divisive primaries in coming months that will highlight the deep ideological rifts within the party. But in the days since Republicans claimed the Senate seat that had been held for decades by Edward M. Kennedy, upending assumptions in both parties about the political landscape for 2010, they have seen not just a jolt of energy and optimism but concrete opportunities to take on Democrats in more contests.

Just since Tuesday, half a dozen Republican candidates have expressed interest in challenging Democrats in House races in Pennsylvania, New York and potentially Massachusetts, party officials said.
    Stuart Rothenberg, a political analyst who follows Congressional races, said a report he will release Monday will count 58 Democratic House seats in play, up from 47 in December. The number of Republican seats in play has remained steady at 14 over the same period, he said. At the same time, Democrats expect more of their incumbents to retire, which could put additional seats at risk.

Republicans need a net gain of 40 seats to regain control of the House, a prospect that still seems unlikely, though hardly impossible.
    But the outlook for November remains hard to discern for several reasons. The Supreme Court decision last week overturning limitations on corporate money in campaigns holds the potential to alter the election in ways that are difficult to predict, though the conventional wisdom is that Republicans will benefit most.
    Across the country, Republican candidates are running as outsiders with the backing of conservative Tea Party activists, challenging Republicans identified with the party establishment. Several analysts said the victory of Scott Brown, a Republican who ran with Tea Party support, for the Massachusetts Senate seat, could encourage more challenges and could drive incumbents further to the right.
    The Republicans could actually take back the House just a few years after a major party realignment. Quite astonishing.
    Not every human is a manipulative, opportunistic, letch... or at least that's what I'm told.
    Quote Quote  

2. -2
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Personally I'm hoping for a tie. Our govt is the most effective when the two partys have equal control. Most things are stalemated but the few pieces of legaslation that actually do get through are typically bipartisan and actually needed.

"When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it."
    Frederic Bastiat
    Quote Quote  

3. -3
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    The Republicans will not be taking back the House. The margin is simply too large and Republicans are still too unpopular. Gains will come, but nothing coming close to a majority.

There are still major issues to deal with. Steele has been a terrible fundraiser, and the tea party characters are going to cause a lot of energy to be spent on primaries.
    Quote Quote  

4. -4
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Overall I think both Dean and Steel are weak. Both partys can do better
    Quote Quote  

5. -5

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Gainesville, Florida
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Pants on the Ground View Post
    The Republicans will not be taking back the House. The margin is simply too large and Republicans are still too unpopular. Gains will come, but nothing coming close to a majority.

There are still major issues to deal with. Steele has been a terrible fundraiser, and the tea party characters are going to cause a lot of energy to be spent on primaries.
    Yeah I agree. For now, it appears to be too big of a whole. But just the fact that it's a possibility is interesting.
    Quote Quote  

6. -6
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesBW43 View Post
    Yeah I agree. For now, it appears to be too big of a whole. But just the fact that it's a possibility is interesting.
    Just about everyone assumed that the economy would be on the rebound by now. Given how large the Republicans have made Obama's programs appear to be, they should be able to capitalize on the poor situation.

Now, if Obama had hired me to handle the economy, we would be at 2 percent unemployment and Republicans would be retiring at insane paces. Unfortunately, he did not accept my application.
    Quote Quote  

7. -7
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Just about everyone assumed that the economy would be on the rebound by now. Given how large the Republicans have made Obama's programs appear to be, they should be able to capitalize on the poor situation.

Now, if Obama had hired me to handle the economy, we would be at 2 percent unemployment and Republicans would be retiring at insane paces. Unfortunately, he did not accept my application.

If that happens I am moving to France
    Quote Quote  

8. -8

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Gainesville, Florida
    Thanks / No Thanks

Haha.

It seems that even economists are expecting instant results that don't seem realistic to me. I wouldn't be surprised if we don't see substantial job growth for another couple of years.
    Quote Quote  

9. -9
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesBW43 View Post
    Haha.

It seems that even economists are expecting instant results that don't seem realistic to me. I wouldn't be surprised if we don't see substantial job growth for another couple of years.

I would not count on any significant improvements till 2012 after we elect an inteligent president who understands economics. Of course even then it will take some time to dig out of the mess he will be inheriting from this president. It may 5-6 yrs before we see any real positive growth depending on how badly he continues to cripple our economy. Hopefully America has woken up in time to start to stop the bleeding he has caused.
    Quote Quote  

10. -10
    Hall Of Famer

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    After the 2006 midterms, I sent my resumé to President Bush and Governor-elect Crist. Same thing for Obama. One of these days, they will take a chance and we will enter the promised land.
    Quote Quote