Just the basics of an offseason plan I thought of, this is with NO CBA:
1. Sign Karlos Dansby - The one guy everyone wants and the coverage linebacker we need. Not to shabby of a tackler either. Crowder will man the other ILB spot and will continue to be effective against the run. I know most people dont think we will pay Dansby as much as other teams but he really does fit what we need for an ILB.
2. Sign a WR. Im still not to sure on this yet, it really depends on who gets released (B.marsh,Ocho,VJ,Boldin) I think this would be the right time to go and get Boldin. A lot of people think he is on the decline(I disagree)He is only 29 years old and is a GREAT run blocking WR and a very good YAC guy. He would be perfect for this offense and given the new change of scenery and the challenge to help us improve he would have a great year. He would not cost much to get now if we had to trade for him and we expressed intrest in him last year. A 3rd round pick for Boldin would really end up being a steal for us in the end.
3.Release Joey Porter, Gibril Wilson, Torbor.
Ginn survives another year and gets a chance to *play next to a true #1* in Boldin (*just for all those Ginn supporters)
4. Draft: Trade down in first round to pick up 3rd rounder to replace the Boldin pick-up. Only trade down a few spots so we can draft:
Round 1 - Brandon Graham DE/OLB - This kid looks like he was built for the NFL. 100% on every play. He is great against the run and a beast at pass rushing. It would be awesome to have an OLB who can stop the run and passrush. His stock is most likely going to rise but I think we could get him anywhere between 13-20.
Round 2 - Cam Thomas NT/DT- Relatively unknown coming into the offseason Cam Thomas is starting to get noticed and in a league where a good 3-4 NT is always being looked for, and he will start to climb up the draft boards. Pending he has a good combine and such he could definitely move way up into the second round. If he does I would not be surprised to see Miami make a move to draft him. He would come in and compete for a starting job against Solai. This pick could be several other players such as T.Cody, D.Williams(prob. 1st), Gilyard, Spikes.
Round 3 - Nate Allen FS - He comes in and competes for a starting job against Clemons right away. Its a big risk not signing any Safeties in FA and then waiting till round 3 to draft one but I do believe Clemons or Allen could start and be effective for us.
Round 4 - Jimmy Graham TE - He would come in as a developmental TE but could very well get a starting job depending on what happens with Fasano. I see us signing Fasano to a 1 or 2 year deal. This would give Graham time to groom and learn the game a bit more.
Round 6-7: B.P.A.
5. Re-Sign Fasano to a short term deal
Re-sign Bess for a 3/4 year deal.
Re-sign Carpenter for a few years also.
Re-sign J.Taylor to a 1 year deal.
Re-Sign N.Jones to a 2 year deal.
Haynos,Moses, can be signed for more depth, or replaced with later draft picks.
Ronnie Brown will not be a Free agent with no CBA so the trifecta gives him 1 last year to prove himself (Health,production). If he stays healthy and produces, Re-sign him to a 2/3 year deal and draft RB in next years draft to replace Ricky.
6. Continue to Develop our young talent. With a full year of exp. under their belts V.Davis, S.smith, C.Henne,B.Hartline and C.Wake will all hopefully improve and help contribute more this year.
Cameron Wake will be someone to keep an eye on, him and Graham on the other side would be a nice combo with both getting to learn from J.Taylor(would rotate in with Wake).
S.Smith and V.Davis will improve and have some real help over the top . Both should start to mold into good/great corners. I really expect S.Smith's completion percentage to drop drastically and be one of the top cover corners in the league. V.Davis should also improve his cover skills but will be move loved for his physical play , tackling skills and playmaking ability.
Hartline/Bess will continue to develop and get good looks with Boldin and Ginn opening the field up. Henne will love having an actually dangerous WR core.
There might be some more minor FA signings for depth puposes but that should be it.
2010 Depth Chat*I put ? if I wasnt sure the player would still be with the team*
QB- Chad Henne/Tyler Thigpen/Pat White
HB- Ronnie Brown/Ricky Williams/Pat Cobbs
FB- Louska Polite/Lex Hilliard
WR1- Anquan Boldin/Ted Ginn
WR2-Brian Hartline/Greg Camarillo
SlotWR- Devon Bess
TE-Anthony Fasano/Jimmy Graham/Haynos?
LT- Jake Long
LG- Justin Smiley
C- Jake Grove/Joe Berger
RG- Donald Thomas/Nate Garner
LT- Vernon Carey
DefenseNT- Cam Thomas/Paul Solai
RDE- Randy Starks/Tony McDaniel/Lionel Dotson
LDE- Kendall Langford/Phillip Merling
ILB - Karlos Dansby/Channing Crowder/Akin Ayodele?
WOLB- Brandon Graham/Charlie Anderson/Eric Walden
SOLB-Jason Taylor/Cameron Wake
CB1-Sean Smith/Will Allen?
CB2- Vontae Davis/Nate Jones/Jason Allen?
SS- Yeremiah Bell/T.Culver
FS- Chris Clemons/Nate Allen
K- Dan Carpenter
P- Brandon Fields
LS- John Denney
KR- Ted Ginn/Patrick Cobbs
PR- Devon Bess/Brian Hartline(may start)/Ginn again?
I know some will be upset I didnt go after more FA's , but I think this is a more realistic offseason plan for our FO. Im pretty sure we would fill most our holes, (hopefully find a few 6-7th round sleepers) and would possibly put us in contention for a deep playoff push. I was also unsure of Will Allen, I think its a good posibility we keep him but we might attempt to trade him (Patsies?) to aquire a draft pick. Not sure though.
So what do you guys think?