Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Welcome to the Fitness Forum!

1. -11
    LIVESTRONG

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Let's see. I've been going to the gym the past month. I've lost 25 pounds total. Just basically from hittin up the tredmills hard every day and eating healthy. I eat a salad everyday for dinner and that's about it. It's probably not healthy, but i'm not hungry that much anymore.
    Quote Originally Posted by JEDIJ007 View Post
    Pouncey Twins are gay.
    Quote Quote  

2. -12
    Defender of the Truth

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Well, I'll contribute what I'm doing at the moment, if nothing else just to give someone an idea for a weightlifting program. I haven't lifted in years due to a shoulder injury I incurred and as a result, I lost ALOT of strength and size I used to have, so to get my body conditioned for weight resistance, I adopted one of the first weight lifting programs I ever used, although being here in Afghanistan, I don't have all of the equipment so I've modified it to the equipment available.

Day 1 (Chest/Arms)
    Low Incline Bench Press; 5x10
    I first do a warm up set or two with a very light weight, even if it's only the bar. Remember, my shoulder was jacked up. I don't use the typical incline bench that's found in most gyms as they are at a high incline and work the shoulders more than the upper chest. After warming up, I place a set weight on the bench, for example 135lbs. I'll do 5 sets, 10 reps each with a rest period (currently 3 minutes) in between. If I make all 5 sets and all repetitions, I add 5-10lbs to the current weight for my next workout.

Hammer Dips; 4x10
    I like this exercise as it works the lower chest and triceps really hard. Same philosophy as bench with establish sets, reps and weight resting 2 minutes in between sets and adding weight if I make the sets and reps.

EZ Bar Curls. 4x10
    My wrists have always been kind of weak so I've never been able to do straight bar curls. This exercise I see too many people sacrifice form for weight. This is easy to spot when people rock their bodies and heave the weight up rather than using a weight they can have strict control of the weight throughout the movement. I started making this mistake when I was up to curling 75lbs, so I reduced the weight to 60lbs and added a 4th set. If you do this right, with your feet shoulder width apart, knees slightly bent and keep your back straight, even a lighter weight will give you the burn and add size to your arms you're looking for.

Inclined Seated Dumbell Curls: 3x12
    I like using dumbells after the barbell so I can isolate each arm and really get a good pump into the muscle. I like the inclined seated curls as it forces you to lower the dumbell completely, giving you full range of motion.

Tricep Pushdowns: 4x10
    I finish this workout by burning out my triceps with pushdowns. I personally don't care for using the rope attatchment so I use the short angle bar attachment. It's important to maintin good form for this one. I stand with my feet about shoulder width apart, knees bent and I bend slightly at the waist. The truly important thing however is to keep your elbows close to your sides. You never want your upper arm to move forward of your torso. The only motion you want is from the elbow down. I usually "rep out" on my last set to get that awesome aching burn that builds and tones the triceps.

For abs, I "superset" the following:
    Floor crunches: 50 reps
    Hanging Knee Raises 25 reps
    Declined Seated Twists; 4 count exercise, 25 reps.

I'll usually do at least 2 supersets.

I'll post my Day 2/3 routines in later posts as not to make a HUGE long post (I know, too late)

I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.
    -Winston Churchill

All things being equal, when you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.
    -Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
    Quote Quote  

3. -13
    Defender of the Truth

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Okay, my Day 2 routine has a little bit of a goal to it, that being able to work up to doing pull-ups which I think is one of the greatest exercises in the world however comma dramatical pause, we all know that the more you weigh, the harder it is to do pull-ups. In my youth I used to be able to jump up on a pull-up bar and knock out 20-25 with little effort. Well, here we are some 25 years later and some 40 pounds extra...well, you get the idea. So here's what I'm currently doing

Day 2
    Back and Shoulders

Wide Grip Pulldowns; 3x12
    Concept here in my simpleton mind is just that...simple! Since I can't pull my body up (not yet anyhow), then I'll pull the weight down to me. I sit erect on a bench at the pulldown machine, take a wide overhand grip on the pulldown bar and pull all the way down to my chest, contracting my lats when the bar touches my chest. I don't try to heave down an exhorborant amount of weight since I want to keep decent form, but at the same time, I'm wanting to progreesively increase the weight so I'll obtain the strength and endurance to actually be able to incorporate pull-ups into my routine.

Seated Cable Rows 4x10
    Pull, pull, pull. Seated cable rows is one of those isolation exercises designed to target the lats and pump them up and give them the nice "V" shape you're looking for however, cable rows won't give you the SIZE you're looking for. I've een pretty fortunate to be blessed with a pretty wide back as it is, so again, I'm just using this particular exercise as a means to an end...pull-ups. And seeing how I havent lifted in years, the chances of seriously injuring myself doing seated cable rows as compared to say bent over rows and heaving heavy weight is greatly reduced.

Smith Machine Presses 3x12
    If you're wanting bowling ball sized shoulders, any variant of the military press is the way to go. Problem with me is overcoming my shoulder injury, which is why I use the Smith machine so I don't have to worry about balancing the weight....just pushing. I treat this exercise like I do my bench...all 3 sets, all 12 reps, up the weight for the next workout.

Dumbell Lateral Raise 3x25
    As military presses give you shoulders the size of bowling balls, dumbell raises sculpt them to give you the three distinct heads. Lateral raises will help sculpt and define that middle and frontal heads. If you take the movement above shoulder level as I do, it also incorporates the trapezus muscles. After staying on this routine a little while longer, I plan on incorporating seated bent over dumbell raises to hit the rear deltoid.

Frontal Dumbell Raises 3x15
    I like using this to help increase my overall shoulder strength on the bench press and to sculpt the front deltoid.

Again, I use the same ab workout to finish off my workout.
    Quote Quote  

4. -14
    Winning is a Habit

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Flagstaff, Arizona
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Trophies
    Dolphin1972 Dolphins LogoJurassic WorldCam Wake 91
    That sounds like a great routine TDK. Very similar to what I used to work on when I was in high school. Only difference was I used to do less reps and more weight so I could add some bulk in high school.

I worked hard to add size. I was a 5'10" and 130 lbs freshman and by my senior year I jumped up to 5'11" and 180 lbs. I was addicted to the weight room and I hope I can find enough free time once again to lift like I used to. Because being a full time student and full time worker to support my son and wife takes a lot of my time, but is well worth it..

Thanks for the tips TDK, I am gonna try out your routine for awhile and I'll let you know the results.

- Hall of Fame Safety Rod Woodson on Dan Marino playing in today's NFL:
    "...the best quarterback I believe is Dan Marino..."
    "If he played with these rules, he'd throw for 100,000 yards."

Twitter
    - https://twitter.com/ciscoholgate

Quote Quote  

5. -15
    Defender of the Truth

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ciscoholgate View Post
    That sounds like a great routine TDK. Very similar to what I used to work on when I was in high school. Only difference was I used to do less reps and more weight so I could add some bulk in high school.

I worked hard to add size. I was a 5'10" and 130 lbs freshman and by my senior year I jumped up to 5'11" and 180 lbs. I was addicted to the weight room and I hope I can find enough free time once again to lift like I used to. Because being a full time student and full time worker to support my son and wife takes a lot of my time, but is well worth it..

Thanks for the tips TDK, I am gonna try out your routine for awhile and I'll let you know the results.
    Thanks Cisco. The thing I really like about this routine is it's a basic overall body conditioning workout that's high in volume to cut up and uses progressive overload in increasing the weight to add size.

One of the things I negelcted to mention...I use the same weight throughout each exercise. I do my wokout "goal oriented"...established weight, established sets, established reps. The only time I increase the weight is if I make all my sets and all my reps.

Now you do have to listen to your body though. There's some exercises in which my BODY tells me, no no no no...don't increase weight, increase sets or reps.

Stay motivated, don't ever ever ever ever give up and as the sign in our gym here in Afghanistan says..."SHUT UP AND LIFT!"
    Quote Quote  

6. -16
    Defender of the Truth

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Ok, my Day 3 workout focuses on the one body part that I and others often neglect...legs!! I initially got this workout many moons ago from a book entitled "Super Squats". Now with this workout, if your legs don't feel like jello afterwards, then I don't know what will.

Breathing Squats 1x20
    This is the killer if you really truly follow the plan. After warming up, set a weight on the bar that you can only squat 10 times...and do it 20 times. After taking the bar off the rack, find a spot on the wall to stare at inhale deeply then exhale...inhale deeply again and squat until your thighs are parrallel to the floor then return to the start postion. Inhale and exhale again, then inhale and squat again. As with my bench routine, if you make all 20 reps, awesome, time to up the weight for the next workout by 10 lbs. Remember, breathe, breathe, breathe...it's the only way you're going to get the 20 reps.

Leg Extensions 4x15
    I do more reps than I do weight for leg extensions for definition and endurance. I leave the strength portion of my workout to the squats. Remember controlled movements. Don't heave the weight. If you don't maintain full control and good form, you're not getting anything out of it and can risk injury.

Leg Curls 3x10
    Legs curls have always been a killer for me especially if you do them correctly, bringing your heels all the way to your butt. Nothing sucks more than having your hamstrings cramp up because you are doing them correctly, but better to do it right than to just heave weight to be macho.

Calf Raises. 4x15
    There are many ways to do calf raises...barbell on your shoulders...a standing calf machine, seated calf maching or the leg press. Well, being here where I am, I'm forced to use the leg press machine. Your calves are alot stronger than you think they are. Think about it...you exercise them everytime you walk. I try to pack on as much weight as I can and then do as many reps as I can. One of the few exercises where I'm going for size as well as definition.

Stiff Legged Deadlifts 3x10
    Through trial and error, I found this to be a great exercise to fiish your leg routine with. If you maintain your form, you get a great stretch on your legs which helps alleviate soreness after a brutal leg workout. Plus the benefit of strengthing your lower back and trimming your midsection is also an added side effect.

Again, I use the same ab workout to finish off my workout.

Now here's a kick in the butt...I've been on this routine now for about 5 weeks and some of it is starting to get too easy, so it looks like I'm already going to have to start changing it up already...adding exercises and what not, so I'll update as I go along.
    Quote Quote  

7. -17
    Donut Enthusiast

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Jacksonville
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Nothing I have done has worked
    Watch me jiggle all the way to the DWTS finals!

Quote Quote  

8. -18
    Administrator

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    The Myer
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by fatkirstyalley View Post
    Nothing I have done has worked
    eat faster - you'll burn more calories

Lip Balm?

Quote Quote  

9. -19
    I like your style Dude

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Springfield, VA
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Tannehill 171972 Dolphins Logo2013 Dolphins Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by Arsenal WV View Post
    Let's see. I've been going to the gym the past month. I've lost 25 pounds total. Just basically from hittin up the tredmills hard every day and eating healthy. I eat a salad everyday for dinner and that's about it. It's probably not healthy, but i'm not hungry that much anymore.
    You're 20 man, eat a burger every now and again. Live it up
    Quote Quote  

10. -20
    Repin the MIA in AZ!!

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Phoenix, AZ
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JCane View Post
    This is a very strict program but it does indeed work. You have to dedicate yourself to this in order for it to work. You cannot half *** it. You have to dedicate one hour a day but I promise you, within 10 days you will begin to see results.
    Have you used this program Cane??? I have seen it and thought about using it and my wife really wants to start working out now and it would be fun I think to do it together if it does show decent results.
    Quote Quote