Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now

Thread: The Crazies

1. -1
    FinHeaven Administrator

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    120 mi west of Costa Rica
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Jurassic World2013 Dolphins Logo

The Crazies

Went to see The Crazies tonight and thoroughly enjoyed it. To me, it is what a horror film should be like.

I liked the original Saw movie, but to me the sequels go a little far in the gore factor. The crazies had gore, but it was not over done to much. Plus, while there was cursing, it wasn't part of every sentence like most teen type horror movies.

Anyways, besides that, while the story was pretty simple to follow, it was very well done. It had "shock" moments that could make you jump and I was very entertained. Anyone else see it?

Quote Quote  

2. -2
    Finheaven Templar

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    The Crossroads of TX
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Actually, it seemed like a movie I would like. I'll check it out.

Quote Quote  

3. -3
    Punching Bag

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Shark city
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I watched it.
    It was better than I was expecting.
    Directed pretty well and the way they shot it was amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by CedarPhin View Post
    We've got to make HOF an honorary Crew member.
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnBeckHOF View Post
    I want no part of induction into your sinful little get-together you have here, squatting on internet bandwith that could be used in better, more productive ways.
    Quote Quote  

4. -4
    durka durka

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Zombieland
    Thanks / No Thanks

Movie

I'll dig up this old thread because I recently rented this movie and absolutely loved it. Like cafinfan408 said I wasn't expecting much, but from the topic I thought it was worth a spin. Very well directed, the acting was solid, and it avoided the pitfalls of most horror movies... unabashed stupidity.

As a followup, I grabbed a copy of the original 1973 George Romero version out of curiosity. Important for it's time, but simply too dated IMO to provide the same scares as the newer one. Similar to a comparison of "Dawn of the Dead" (1978) vs. "Dawn of the Dead (2004)" for me in that the music and dialogue shock me out of my immersion in the film and remind me I'm watching a movie that's more than 30 years old. I am a big fan of the older stuff, but more-so because of their importance to the genre's development than because I think they are "better." Maybe it's just me, but a movie like "The Crazies" from 1973 feels incredibly old, whereas a film like "Reanimator" from 1985 doesn't.

Back to the 2010 version: an interesting mix of horror, individual vs group survival conundrums, and government conspiracies. (X-Files fans take note.) Because of what happens in this film, some groups swoop in to "help" the situation, and it's debatable whether or not they actually made things worse. Certainly, with the risks and scale of natural and man-made disasters seemingly getting worse, the question arises "who do you trust, and how far do you trust them" to help you, your family, and your community through a crisis. I knew how I felt before this film, and while it didn't change my mind about that, it did illustrate a doomsday scenario about as well as I've seen done recently.

I often judge a movie by my expectations of how well it will stand up to repeat viewings, provided that they do not occur too closely together. This film passes that test in my book. This is a rental I will own.

Four out of five stars.

Quote Quote  

5. -5
    Paddy's Pub

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Boom City
    Thanks / No Thanks
    i'm a horror junky and i wasn't as big a fan. i like your review but the main thing that pissed me off was the freakin music every time something was about to happen. i don't want to know when i'm gonna be scared - nor do i want the movie to give me my cues. i hate when horror flicks do that - this was something that was great at its height (ch-ch-ch-ch-ha-ha-ha-ha), but fell off - and should have - soon thereafter. once in a while i can live with it but they did it in every 'scary' scene in this movie - to where it became mundane and predictable. took away from a potentially really good horror flick.

i saw this and the remake of 'last house on the left' in the same night. at least i can say 'the crazies' was miles better. i knew this illiadis guy would ruin it. sure enough, he did.

Quote Quote  

6. -6
    durka durka

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Zombieland
    Thanks / No Thanks
    That is often a pet peeve of mine, as well. I'll be on the lookout for that when I watch it again.

John Carpenter said in the liner notes of the remastered "Halloween" that when the movie was shown to test audiences, no one was scared at all. He knew he had to do something with the music to give it an edge. He said he realizes in hindsight the "stingers" (usually musical synthesizer spikes) as he called them were overdone, but it did work as future test audiences were jumping. I see your point that when music telegraphs what's coming next, it's akin to seeing the bad guy's shoe from under the bottom of the drapes. If I know he's there, where's the surprise?

I saw the remake of LHOTL as well, and I never really connected with it. The lead bad guy was played by Garret Dillahunt who I recognized and liked from tv's 'Terminator: Sarah Connor Chronicles', so that was kind of distracting for me, but certainly not the actor's fault.
    Quote Quote