Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is It Possible If McClain and Bryant Get Drafted We Can Sign Marshall During Draft?

1. -1
    "I See No Changes" - Tupac

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    New York
    Thanks / No Thanks

Is It Possible If McClain and Bryant Get Drafted We Can Sign Marshall During Draft?

Just Wondering.

I'm wondering cause those are the likely targets I think we would want. If somehow both are gone. Is it possible to try to sign Marshall and just give the Broncos the 13th pick Or That Could never happen.

Please don't bash cause I am not sure if this is allowed.
    Quote Quote  

2. -2
    FinHeaven VIP

WPA:
    vCash:
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Cam Wake 912013 Dolphins LogoMike Wallace 11
    Sweet another Brandon Marshall thread.
    The above post is not subject to penalty under the TOS I declare the Hayden Fox defense. " It is impossible for the staff to know my context therefore I cannot be penalized"

Quote Quote  

3. -3
    Where is the reset button?

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    illinois
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Unlikely to get Mcclain but we still could fill a need in the first round AND get Marshall.

Here is a post in another thread that is VERY feasible given the premise of the "value chart" teams use on draft day...

I said to WAIT until his the broncos want a 2nd round compensation for Marshall and then trade our 12th pick DOWN into the 20-24 range to recoup the 2nd round pick that we would be giving for Marshall. There is a very good chance that one of our "needs" would be still sitting there at that spot. Weatherspoon comes to mind as does that freak TE that ran what a 4.4 40 time? Unlikely BP drafts a TE though.

At this point, the teams needing wideouts pretty much have them. Bengals signed Bryant which leaves Seattle but they aren't giving up the 6th pick and I think they have the 14th as well. Most teams are going to sit and wait until draft day when Denver may get nervous and allow him to go for a 2nd. Moss IIRC and Owens never went for a 1st round pick that I can think for when they are still in their prime. Why should Marshall?

So to recap so you understand...

Trade number 12 pick to some team in the 20-24 range for THEIR number 1 pick and a middle 2nd round selection (this is feasible based on the point system teams assign to draft order....I think the 12th pick is worth 1200 points and there is a decent decline in value after that). Trade our early 2nd round pick to Denver for Marshall. Now we still will have a late 1st round pick, Marshall and a middle 2nd round pick. Give him a new contract with an exit strategy. This is nothing new. Owens had a contract similar to this. Hell we gave one to ricky concerning money. This scenario is VERY feasible but given our past history over the past 2 decades...this WILL NOT happen.

However, as a long time dolphins fan, I can 100% assure you that we will NOT get Marshall and none of this is going to transpire. You can bank on that.
    Quote Quote  

4. -4

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    New York
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by flynryan15 View Post
    Sweet another Brandon Marshall thread.
    I was wondering if there is a possibility if our picks are taken that we are allowed to do that jeez. I am not making another Marshall thread. I'm not that person that would top on another thread to make it 40 threads about someone.
    Quote Quote  

5. -5

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    New York
    Thanks / No Thanks
    LOL Someone just say if your allowed to try to sign him after the 12th pick Or your not allowed to.
    Quote Quote  

6. -6

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    illinois
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by KDog13 View Post
    LOL Someone just say if your allowed to try to sign him after the 12th pick Or your not allowed to.
    Why wouldn't you be allowed to? You could trade Denver some doritos and a candy bar and if they accept it, he is a dolphin. As long as they are not insistent on our 12th pick and we don't give it up, then yes you can sign marshall. Any team could.

I guess I don't understand what you are asking?
    Quote Quote  

7. -7

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    New York
    Thanks / No Thanks
    I'm just asking since I thought if we try to sign Marshall that Denver has a certain amount of time to match the offer. But i'm wondering how it all would go down in the draft and does it remain a possibility that could ever happen.
    Quote Quote  

8. -8

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    illinois
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by KDog13 View Post
    I'm just asking since I thought if we try to sign Marshall that Denver has a certain amount of time to match the offer. But i'm wondering how it all would go down in the draft and does it remain a possibility that could ever happen.
    If he is a restricted free agent, then usually prior to the draft, teams can put in the offer to agree to trade their picks. That is why they have RFA. Teams are usually willing to let a guy go but you have to give them compensation in terms of picks. Denver has already said that Marshall is on the block for a first round pick. If a first round was offered, Denver wouldn't match anything because that is what they feel he is worth.

The other type of free agent is an unrestricted free agent which if a team puts out an offer sheet, the player can sign but the other team can match or decide not to depending on what they think is fair market value for the player. Many UFA end up leaving because other teams pay quite a bit more than the parent team is willing for that player.

However in the case of Marshall, if any team is willing to give up their number one (that is the current offer by Denver), you can bet Marshall would need to buy a new home in a different state. By the time the draft comes, Denver is going to be more persistent on the trade and by that time,they generally will lower the compensation for him IF they are really wanting to move him. It sounds like they are.

Unless Miami is willing to give up the 12th pick in the draft, my scenario above is the most likely to happen IF Miami is serious about landing Marshall and NOT wanting to give up players or the 12th pick. Another scenario is that Miami gives up next years first or next years second or some combination that can escalate to higher draft picks based on things like playing time and pro bowl selection and crap like that.
    Quote Quote  

9. -9

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    New York
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CPtoTGfor6 View Post
    If he is a restricted free agent, then usually prior to the draft, teams can put in the offer to agree to trade their picks. That is why they have RFA. Teams are usually willing to let a guy go but you have to give them compensation in terms of picks. Denver has already said that Marshall is on the block for a first round pick. If a first round was offered, Denver wouldn't match anything because that is what they feel he is worth.

The other type of free agent is an unrestricted free agent which if a team puts out an offer sheet, the player can sign but the other team can match or decide not to depending on what they think is fair market value for the player. Many UFA end up leaving because other teams pay quite a bit more than the parent team is willing for that player.

However in the case of Marshall, if any team is willing to give up their number one (that is the current offer by Denver), you can bet Marshall would need to buy a new home in a different state. By the time the draft comes, Denver is going to be more persistent on the trade and by that time,they generally will lower the compensation for him IF they are really wanting to move him. It sounds like they are.
    ok Thanks but also wondering if the Dolphins would draft a DT if Dez n Rolondo are taken or would it ever be a possibility to give them our 13th for Marshall.
    Quote Quote  

10. -10
    DA M.I.A IS WHERE I STAY

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Miami,FL
    Thanks / No Thanks
    In the words of a dear friend of mine....No

Inspired by no other than Ben Violin
    Quote Quote