Welcome to FinHeaven Fans Forums! We're glad to have you here. Please feel free to browse the forum. We'd like to invite you to join our community; doing so will enable you to view additional forums and post with our other members.

VIP Members don't see these ads. Join VIP Now
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Joined the Gym today.

1. -1
    Champion Of The Beards!

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Mooresville, NC
    Thanks / No Thanks

Joined the Gym today.

So I finally broke down and joined the gym today. Working out at home sucks after a while. I have been doing P90X and Insanity. Before that I was running on the treadmill and lifting weights. I took about a year off between the two due to having to travel for work all the time.

Anyway, I plan to lift three days a week and and do cardio at least five days a week. I may do it twice a day sometimes or six days a week from time to time.

I just got back from the first trip to the gym. I did 2.25 miles on the treadmill @ around 21 minutes, 2.25 miles on the elliptical @ around 22 minutes, 6 miles on a bike @ around 21 minutes, and 5 minutes on the stair master @ about kick my a$$.

I'm not in quite as good of shape as I got when I lost all that weight before but I'm not far off.

I shall find my six pack if it kills me. At least that is my goal
    Quote Quote  

2. -2
    Suns and Fins superfan

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Boise, Idaho
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Training for FinHeaven March Madness next year?
    Quote Quote  

3. -3
    Champion Of The Beards!

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Mooresville, NC
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricky_Fan34 View Post
    Training for FinHeaven March Madness next year?

Oh Ya! Team WeVie wants to be in much better shape for the run next year and one can never start too early!
    Quote Quote  

4. -4
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Weston
    Thanks / No Thanks
    wevie you say you plan on lifting 3 days a week,do you plan on training your legs other than cardio,this is a very important key that most people do not realize
    Just about any day that you are hiking is A good day
    Quote Quote  

5. -5
    Champion Of The Beards!

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Mooresville, NC
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Steveo 90 View Post
    wevie you say you plan on lifting 3 days a week,do you plan on training your legs other than cardio,this is a very important key that most people do not realize
    The plan is to do arms/shoulders, chest/back(lats,upper), and legs/back(lower). I have also decided to do some ab work at least three days a week too.

I am going to do this for a while a d see how it goes
    Quote Quote  

6. -6
    Pro Bowler

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Weston
    Thanks / No Thanks
    good deal...........try and to weights on your legs at least twice a week,it really helps
    Quote Quote  

7. -7
    Champion Of The Beards!

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Mooresville, NC
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Steveo 90 View Post
    good deal...........try and to weights on your legs at least twice a week,it really helps
    Helps in what way? What I am really after is weight loss but I do realize that since the legs are the biggest muscles, then it's great to work them since it does burn quite a bit of calories.
    Quote Quote  

8. -8
    Administrator

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Lauderville, Florilina
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by WeVie View Post
    Helps in what way? What I am really after is weight loss but I do realize that since the legs are the biggest muscles, then it's great to work them since it does burn quite a bit of calories.
    When you workout your muscles, you're releasing growth hormones...more commonly known as HGH. As you stated, the leg muscles are the biggest muscles in your body. So therefore, you're releasing more HGH when you do leg work. Training legs twice a week will actually help your upper body, abs, and everything else.

Most people HATE doing legs but you have to make yourself enjoy it. Squats, leg press, and dumbbell lunges are very important to me and my routine.

And I hope you're taking protein shakes before and after workouts, right?

If not, I can recommend some good stuff for you.

Quote Quote  

9. -9
    Champion Of The Beards!

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Mooresville, NC
    Thanks / No Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JCane View Post
    When you workout your muscles, you're releasing growth hormones...more commonly known as HGH. As you stated, the leg muscles are the biggest muscles in your body. So therefore, you're releasing more HGH when you do leg work. Training legs twice a week will actually help your upper body, abs, and everything else.

Most people HATE doing legs but you have to make yourself enjoy it. Squats, leg press, and dumbbell lunges are very important to me and my routine.

And I hope you're taking protein shakes before and after workouts, right?

If not, I can recommend some good stuff for you.
    Recommend my friend. This is what I am taking but I would love to hear what you have to say. Oh and I don't mind doing legs. I love squats!

I take a GNC multivitamin. The sport one.
    I take B Complex plus C
    Fish Oil
    500Mg of L-Glutamine

I take one scoop of whey protein and mix it with on cup of skim milk before workout and after.
    I take one scoop of M5 Extreme creatine mixed with water about 45 minutes before working out but just starting this one this week but has great reviews from what I could find.

I pretty much got the nutrition aspect down. I kinda got the working out part down, but I am totally lost on the supplement game. Everywhere I go or most everything I read, nine times out of ten it will say something different.

One thing I think I want to change is the L-Glutamine. From what I have read, most people take around 5 grams of that so I am way off from that.

I also got this recommendation for a post workout mix I have been thinking about trying.

Post Workout

Protein/Carb Shake “This has about 350 Calories in it”

2 Tbsp. of NOW FOODS CARBO GAIN “This is the Malodrextrin”
    1 Tbsp. of NOW FOODS DEXTROSE “This is Corn Sugar i.e. Pure Sugar feeds your muscles after the workout.”
    1 Scoop of Optimum 100% Whey Protein
    1 Tsp. of Creatine Monohydrate
    1 Tsp. of Glutamine

Post Workout- Amino Acids with water

I take 2 scoops with 1.5L of water and drink this. I take Controlled Labs Purple Wraath.
    Quote Quote  

10. -10
    Administrator

WPA:
    vCash:
    Loc:
    Lauderville, Florilina
    Thanks / No Thanks
    If you're looking to put on muscle and bulk up, you need to be taking protein shakes. The shakes aren't going to add muscle but they help with the recovery process. I typically take five a day. I have four whey shakes that I take and I have a whey/casein blend that I take an hour before bed.

The casein blend is slow releasing so this helps with muscle recovery while you sleep.

Amino acids are important and most people don't get enough. Fish oil is good...so it sounds like you have a lot of the vitamins, etc., down. The GNC multivitamin is something that I used to take daily and just stopped for no reason. I need to get back on it.

Your body is going to react differently to various proteins and preworkout mixes. I've been on so many protein formulas that I pretty much have mine pegged for what works best for me. Preworkouts are a lot different because your body will build up and immunity after a certain period of time...kinda like Tylenol PM. Once you've taken it for so long, it just doesn't work anymore.

What I usually do is by a standard bottle of whatever preworkout I desire. Currently, I'm on NO Shotgun. I'll take my preworkout mix half an hour or so before working out. I usually down it on my way to the gym. Once I finish a bottle of whatever I have, I'll "cycle off" for at least two weeks and let my system recover, then, I move on to a different preworkout such as Jack3d, Super Pump, White Flood, etc.

Is this the protein you're taking?

Skim milk is good, but I prefer chocolate or vanilla soy milk depending on the flavor of protein I have. I don't know if you've ever had soy milk but it's great. I was a Vegan for a little more than two years. When I went back to eating meats, I kept A LOT of stuff from my Vegan diet such as soy milk. I can't even drink regular milk anymore. Right now I've been taking Dymatize protein mix. It seems to work well for me but I'm probably going to switch over to the Gold Standard soon.

Quote Quote